Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the power increase, 'Souping the Volkswagen' states that the Okrasa heads/carbs would increase power to 41hp (48 hp SAE), so a 30% increase. I assume the WW kit wouldn't be any different?

Great looking engine Flavio.

Thanks
Richard
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flavio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I'm very well impressed with the WW kit. Clearly more power at medium and high rpm range. Not so much at low rpm.
I've been struggling with jetting the carbs better and also changing to smaller venturis (24 mm). It's better but not finished... also, some problems with the carb throttle shafts. I've rebushed them and they are better.
One of these days the engine will be dismantled for a good inspection and to fit a 69.5 mm crank and a new cam.
From what I've been reading/learning I think that this will be "real thing" about improving power in these old engines with the Okrasa kit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

Any comments about the repro Solex carbs? When the kit first cam out, Mr. Okrasa pointed out that they needed some work right out of the box to work properly (I believe the thottle bushings were leaking). Has anyone else had this, or other problems with the WW carbs?

Cheers,

Paul

I just recieved another new set of W.W. SOLEX carburetors to be rebushed so I would double-check your carbs
when you take them out of the box. I can rebush these for $120 a pair by the way.....Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Cool

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rwoodshvac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i agree i have a set to the WW 32s

Check out this link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512562
Porsche 356 B Rods
Shasta Cylinders with JE Pistons 80mm
WW Okrasa Heads worked by Ron Chuck
Speedwell Ratio Rockers 1.25
Dual Valve Springs w/Lash Caps
Blackline Racing Lifter Inserts, Manton Push Rods
34 Pbic Carbs rebushed by Mr Okrasa
Custom Okrasa Intakes enlarged to 34mm
Gene Burg Sump
Fram bypass Filter with Okrasa Oil Cooler
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently built my first ever engine being a vintage speed themed 36er. Got the case line bored, all new bearing and bushes to suit, new pistons and barrels, the ww twin port okrasa heads, one of mrokrasa's "okrasa spec cams", straight cut cam gears and i also had the stock crank crack tested for reassurance. Built myself a ghetto abarth muffler from a stock repro muffler and cut and welded in twin gal water pipe tips Laughing

I'm using the csp linkage and I'm over the moon with the performance... the cam gives it a really grumpy idle which keeps people guessing and the power is second to none, compared to the clapped out 40hp i used to have powering my 58. Got a few things left on my "to do list", one is to purchase a rebuilt bosch 010 off glen once i get back from our snow holiday as the 009 isn't doing me any favours, 2 - get rid of the blue leads.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a quick video of its idle note.

and an audio clip from inside the cabin (is a video but was taken late at night)

haven't even put a 1000 ks on it yet but love driving it on my weekends...
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Looks and sounds great.

Are you running the WW repop Abarth muffler? Any comments on quality and fit? Any chance of a shot showing the space between the bottom of the apron and the pipes?

Trevor
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate.

Nar, if you reads above I used a stock repro muffler and cut it up and welded twin gal pipes to it Laughing sounds pretty good for a ghetto job I think... As for clearance... Not much... And bubbles the paint after a hard run....
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions to you who run "kit"-engines:

What's the best linkage? OG style or CSP?

What jetting do you recommend for an engine with stock cam and displacement?
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

We've just installed the WW Okrasa kit on a 59 Beetle. We are having a problem with not enough throttle travel. It seems the accelerator pedal hits the brake pedal pivot before the carbs open all the way. We've tried tightening up the cable etc but there just isnt enough travel. Anyone else have an issue? I've searched, seem some mentions of it but nothing in detail.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

which linkage are you running?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

The original style weld on style
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

When I first installed my kit, couldn't get full throttle either so I opted for a roller pedal. Didn't care for that so I did some trouble shooting on my original set up and found the floor hinge was bent , not allowing enough forward movement. Bent it back into shape and presto full throttle. I would start there and make sure all that is up to snuff. It worked on the stock carb but not the dual carb kit Confused
Going on 23K now and getting ready for my annual trip to VWOTG show in Denver May21
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I've recently run into issues with my kit set up. How can I tell if I need to have the throttle bushings replaced?
All stock engine- I'm getting a backfire out of the top of the carb. No matter how many times I tune and balance, it stills sputters and pops.
Thanks all.

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
I've recently run into issues with my kit set up. How can I tell if I need to have the throttle bushings replaced?
All stock engine- I'm getting a backfire out of the top of the carb. No matter how many times I tune and balance, it stills sputters and pops.
Thanks all.

It's running lean, so you have a vacuum leak, or you need to rejet it.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Jay, over the weekend I took both carbs apart and cleaned them inside and out in case there was clogging. I will be reinstalling this week. What are the suggested jets to run?

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
Thanks Jay, over the weekend I took both carbs apart and cleaned them inside and out in case there was clogging. I will be reinstalling this week. What are the suggested jets to run?

Send me a message here and I'll help you out.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Folks sorry, just realized I didnt follow up on my lack of full throttle issue. I also had a bent accelerator pedal hinge bracket. It was bent forward, actually worked fine with the stock carb but not with the Okrasa kit. Bent it back, problem solved.
I was also fortunate enough where we were just finishing this kit in a 59 bug when another customer came in for some work with a genuine Okrasa kit in his 58 bug.
Drag race showed our 59 with the WW kit had a slight edge. Perhaps due to the WW 36hp hotter cam or the other having high mileage.
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I've been having the same problem as 6T5. Popping from the carbs, and engine backfiring, getting lots of black smoke. Next to impossible to get it tuned right. I bought the kit already installed on a "refreshed" 36er, so don't have any real history on it. Had Mr Okrasa re-bush the throttle shafts, and replace the jets and Venturies. Still the same issue only now I don't have fuel leaking from my throttle shafts. I'm building a fresh 36 this winter with new everything to eliminate the unknown.
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Reed Green wrote:
I've been having the same problem as 6T5. Popping from the carbs, and engine backfiring, getting lots of black smoke. Next to impossible to get it tuned right. I bought the kit already installed on a "refreshed" 36er, so don't have any real history on it. Had Mr Okrasa re-bush the throttle shafts, and replace the jets and Venturies. Still the same issue only now I don't have fuel leaking from my throttle shafts. I'm building a fresh 36 this winter with new everything to eliminate the unknown.

Hi Reed.
Here are some things you and 6T5 can check.

1) Make sure you DONT have excessive fuel pump pressure. I find that 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. is sufficient. If too much pressure, it will overcome
the needle valve and over fill the fuel bowl and pour raw fuel down the carb. The engine will pop, sputter, idle rough and blow out black smoke.

2) I've been rebuilding / restoring these types of SOLEX 32mm carbs for over 40 years now and what I've found is the quality of the needle valves aren't
as good as they used to be.......even new ones! Once you've done your initial fuel pump pressure check and it's within range, check your fuel needle valve(s).

3) If possible, bring the engine up to operating temp. If you can get the engine to idle, with a flashlight, look down each carburetor and see check to see if raw fuel
is "pouring" down the carb. throat rather than being proplery atomized. A bad needle valve will stick either open and flood the carb or stick closed and not allow fuel to
fill the bowl and have an appearance of either bad fuel pump or out of fuel. Be careful when looking down the carbs. as they may back fire and you can get hurt.

4) Check for vacuum leaks! I've noticed that the mounting surfaces on the welded intake manifolds are sometimes "wavy". I use a large vixen file and then my 20" disc sander. The way I check for leaks: Instead of using carb. cleaner or starting fluid, I use a BUTANE torch BUT NOT LIGHTED!!! I start the engine, open up the butane tank valve and aim the gas at the base of intake manifolds, carb to manifolds, equalization tube, etc, etc...There will be a noticeable change in engine RPM if butane is sucked in by the engines vacuum. This method is less messy and works all the time.

Try the above and see if you get any results. Cheers Amigos! Cool

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Joe,
Fuel pressure was what I was thinking so tested it this past weekend and found 1.8psi will check the needle valves and intakes tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: