Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Here's a customers W.West D/P engine I'm just about finished with. I opened up the fuel inlet to accept the larger, original Okrasa banjo's and also
made the 8mm fuel line. Looks more original to the Okrasa design. The customer requested the "green" oil filter to compliment his car. Enjoy! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Here's the customers W.West D/P engine all done and running for a customers '58 Beetle.

You can see a video of the engine running on this link below:
https://photos.imageevent.com/mrokrasa/porscheengi...145156.mp4

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Texbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Beautiful work as usual Joe! Just curious, what kind of belt did you use on this build?
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Texbug wrote:
Beautiful work as usual Joe! Just curious, what kind of belt did you use on this build?

Hi Mike! I've tried different sized belts until I found the "right" size for the particular pulleys I was running on this engine.
Since i'm always building these engines and running different crank/gen. pulley's, I take notes as to what pulley combinations
i'm running on each engine. This engine above, i'm running a belt made by MASTER PRO. Their part is #7345.
There is also another number which I think is generic #15345. The actual measurement is: 10mm X 891mm.
The generator pulley is a stock 36hp and the crank pulley is an original billet aluminum OT that I purchased about 20
years ago when they were being made by an individual in So. Calif. who also made the billet Ralley Package gauge panel.
I had it flat black powder coated.

By the way, I dug deep and found a photo of YOUR original 36hp Okrasa engine I built for you almost 10 years ago!
Hope all is well with you and your loved ones.... Cheers! Mr. Okrasa Cool

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
Texbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Joe,
My motor STILL runs like a top and I drive my ‘54 every weekend... Except when it rains Wink I took your advice a while back and started running race gas - it really likes it!

Mike

Last edited by Texbug on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Texbug wrote:
Joe,
My motor STILL runs like a top and I drive my ‘54 every weekend... Except when it rains Wink I took your advice a while back and started runnng race gas - it really likes it!

Mike

When I had my Enzmann, I "fed" it Union 76 gas @ 100 octane. I mixed 50/50 with 90 octane and the engine "enjoyed" it!
It spun up to what I thought was at least 6500 RPM!?!? If it didn't, it sure felt like it Laughing Rev'ed up like a sewing machine
without a miss and ran like a "scalded cat".....Even though I never thrown hot water on a cat to see it run Anxious

I know race / aviation fuel is not cheap but it's not like you drive/run your car everyday. I figured when I drive my car,
I want to "get on it" and I want it to run as best as it possibly can. The added cost of the higher octane fuel is well
worth the thrill of hearing the engine rev. / run...Music to my ears! Enjoy! Mr. Okrasa Cool

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobiasax wrote:
A couple of questions to you who run "kit"-engines:

What's the best linkage? OG style or CSP?

Any input on this please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Have you ever tried hooking up your creations to a dyno? One of the Porsche shops has documented a number of their prior projects in an effort to show people what each combo can do. http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/documents/WR-Dyno%20Tests%202010.pdf

It would be wonderful if we could collect the similar information for our engines.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Have you ever tried hooking up your creations to a dyno? One of the Porsche shops has documented a number of their prior projects in an effort to show people what each combo can do. http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/documents/WR-Dyno%20Tests%202010.pdf

It would be wonderful if we could collect the similar information for our engines.

Cheers,

Paul

Dyno results of my engine:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1682081
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

JeeWee,

I find it interesting that the amount of the power eaten up by the transmission, etc. isn't fixed. Hmmm.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

what do you mean Paul? Indeed there is loss at the transmission etc, so the only thing what in the end is measurable and real is the power at the wheels. There is a calculated loss in the transmission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I guess I've never thought about how power loss from the transmission varied as a function of RPM. At least the transmission doesn't eat up power like a fan does. I've read that the power it takes to rotate a fan goes up exponentially as RPM's increase.

Thanks for posting your date (I'm an engineer Wink )

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

everything what is in between the bang and the power at the wheel is consuming energy from the bang. therefore the lighter your pistons, rods, crank, flywheel etc are, the less loss you have... imagine that at 6000 rpm your pistons and rods stop and start 100 times per second. Try to do that with 1 kilogram of sugar or a feather...
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

So towards the end of the season I was having more and more issues with my WW kit. Carb balance was near impossible, motor popping and just running like crap. So for the last month I put the original single port heads back on and original carb back on, car ran great, made a couple of shows.
After talking to Joe (Mr Okrasa) he had suggested to check a few things. So I took them down to my local VW guru Bob. I told Bob about the issues and told him that before I removed the carbs I did a vacuum leak test. It seemed to sputter out when I sprayed around the base. Bob looked over the carb, grabbed a 3/4"thick block of steel, sat the carb on it and the carb actually wobbled back and forth. There's your problem, he said. One carb was worse than the other but both had the "wavy" bottom that Joe talked about earlier.
Bob has a large industrial belt sander that he fired up and sanded both carb bases level. While we were there, he also checked the Manifolds where the carbs sit. They needed a little help also.
From there, Bob also checked the needle valves and the throttle bushings. Gave it the all clear.
So I will wait till spring to install the kit again and hopefully this will clear up the issues. Its 22 degrees in the garage right now and I still have to get the trans mounts into the square back.
Thanks Bob

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Joe, just saw your video, of the motor running, the blue background. Fantastic video! And the motor looks great.

Rob
ntngman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Hello all, Hope everyone is keeping safe. I read the the entire thread, will be installing the WW/Fram kit here soon. It’s been sometime since the last post, any recent experience with the kit?
ntngman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Spent some time reading everything related to the WW kit in the Vintage speed forum. Tons of great information and thank you all for the vast information given.

My 55 is stock and a daily driver and for years I’ve been wanting the WW kit and after reading many of the threads is it really worth the headache with poor quality on the manifolds, bad carbs and bad heads. I save my money to purchase things down the road and this isn’t a cheap investment, just wanted to know if any recent experiences with the kit before I decide to spend my hard earned cash. Thanx guys.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

I have a kit I've been SLOWLY getting ready to install. The heads seem pretty good as far as fit and finish, but the jury is still out on the repro 32 PBIC carbs. Though I've not installed them the throttle shaft "seems" a little of a sloppy fit with poor returnability to center when throttle arm is actuated. Don't let this lead you to condemn them though as I was told by WW that they are fine once installed.

The manifolds had cold weld blobs in them which I had to use a long reach carbide burr to remove but now that that is done I'm hoping to use them with no further issues.

I do have an order out to Stefi G for a pair of his 40mm weber/solex manifolds (Speedwell website didn't respond to my inquiry so I went with the SG manifolds). I placed my order on April 16th and haven't received them yet.

Those manifolds, a set of CB 40mm webers with 28mm venturis and a second set of Jaycee 26mm vents will be my plan b if the 32PBICs don't work out well). Beware if you order Stefi G manifolds of a possibly LONG wait to receive them. That is not his fault but is due to this COVID crap I was told by the USPS. I filed a complaint with the them and was told that the manifolds have not been lost in the mail but are likely sitting off shore in a boat somewhere waiting to be greenlighted for receipt of shipment. The truthfulness of that USPS worker remains to be seen, but wanted to warn others of my experience.

Sorry I can't provide more details but I will as soon as I install my kit. Its taking me a long time to do so since this 36hp engine is not my primary engine and since drilling out the cam gear rivets, tapping the holes and installing the old cam gear to my new WW performance cam gear has been a royal pita!!!

Best of luck,

Ted
ntngman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

Thanx Ted for all the great info. Finally bought the kit, quality is pretty good, could better. Fitted the manifolds to the heads, had to grind the holes a bit so they would fit but noticed the carb end of the manifolds might not have a flat surface to them. Might have to machine them a bit. Just finished up the cylinder tins, the instruction template was useful but tons of more grinding and fitting, grinding and fitting bit finally got them done.

Does anyone have a pic of the CSP linkage set up on the their engine?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg West Okrasa kit - Feedback Thread Reply with quote

ntngman wrote:
Thanx Ted for all the great info. Finally bought the kit, quality is pretty good, could better. Fitted the manifolds to the heads, had to grind the holes a bit so they would fit but noticed the carb end of the manifolds might not have a flat surface to them. Might have to machine them a bit. Just finished up the cylinder tins, the instruction template was useful but tons of more grinding and fitting, grinding and fitting bit finally got them done.

Does anyone have a pic of the CSP linkage set up on the their engine?

Glad to hear you got the kit Smile

I had forgotten too about having to file out the stud holes in the manifolds to get them to fit over the head studs.

I have the updated CSP linkage, but I just got the case halves back together and have a little ways to go before I'm to that point, but will try to remember to take pictures of the linkage once I'm there. I want to cc the heads and get a deck height reading to see how close I am to the 7.9:1 (or is it 7.8:1 ) compression called for in the WW Okrasa kit instructions, and I'm also unsure whether to run my stock oil cooler, buy a new one from WW or get that aircraft aluminum 356 cooler I've heard so much about but which is $$.

Then there is the exhaust, which all I currently have is a stock muffler, which seems a shame to run on an otherwise hopped up engine. I am not crazy though about forking out 1200 bucks for the fancy Sebring exhaust. It would be nice to score an NOS 36hp extractor exhaust but good luck finding one of those, right?

Keep us updated on your build!

Ted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: