Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

28 pci cuts out during braking/stopping
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robotrophic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: 28 pci cuts out during braking/stopping Reply with quote

Ok, sounds weird, right?

During normal city driving, my 36hp stalls as I approach stop signs/red lights. It is tied to braking/stopping.

While driving, I can put the clutch in and drop it out of gear, and it goes to idle. When stopping, be it clutch in, or clutch out (and out of gear), it stalls.

Just got it back from the shop for a tune up...

Thoughts?

Side question, does anyone recommend a good mechanic in the SF Bay Area? my favorite, Buggy House, shut down a while back.

Thanks,
Robo

57 beetle
36hp
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 pci cuts out during braking/stopping Reply with quote

The fuel level is set too low in the float bowl or the idle mixture set too lean.

When braking, the fuel in the carburetor float bowl has a natural tendency to slosh toward the front of the car. This action effectively lowers the fuel level in the idle circuit, thus requiring a higher vacuum signal to pull the same amount of fuel out or else the mixture goes lean.
robotrophic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 pci cuts out during braking/stopping Reply with quote

ok. I'll give that a look.

in the mean time, any new ideas?

it was running/adjusted perfectly before i brought it in for a tune...

they would have had to take the top of the carb and re-set the float to something low...
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 pci cuts out during braking/stopping Reply with quote

Crazy idea - the brake light current draw is dropping the voltage so low the ignition fails.

Roland
robotrophic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 pci cuts out during braking/stopping Reply with quote

Thanks all.

cracked it open, float was fine. closed it back up, problem went away... float must have gotten stuck?

thanks for the leads...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: