Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Taller 4th gear?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SL12572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Taller 4th gear? Reply with quote

I'm looking at possibly changing my 4th gear to .77

I've heard mixed opinions about doing this. I'm primarily looking to get the engine rpms down a bit and slightly increase MPG. This will be initially on a stock syncro with a 2.1, but eventually on my turbo 2.1. Right now I'm running BFG AT 15" tires, but will be changing over to the biggest tire I can get to fit.

I've heard bad stories of changing to a taller 4th, which ended up useless, unless downhill or completely flat ground. Was this while using a .77?

Anyone with a taller 4th and a stock 2.1?

Thanks!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Taller 4th Reply with quote

I had GW do my Syncro trans . Actually I bought a rebuilt from them and gave them my core.
Part of their standard rebuild is a taller 4th gear . I have a 2.2 with a decoupler and 16 " wheels ,which have the same overall height of my 14's .
Since my gas gauge is in op ,I live off of my Mileage counter . My first tank after my trans change was 291 miles ,up from about 241 . now 10K miles later it is still somewhat consistent depending on how I drive ,but it hasn't been less than 260 per for sure .
Although it should be noted that my speedo runs about 10% high . So the mileage numbers may skew but the percentages are real.
I see no down side to a taller gear ,I drive a lot .generally about a tank every 3 days , I can use anything I can get .
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Taller 4th gear? Reply with quote

SL12572 wrote:
I'm looking at possibly changing my 4th gear to .77

I've heard mixed opinions about doing this. I'm primarily looking to get the engine rpms down a bit and slightly increase MPG. This will be initially on a stock syncro with a 2.1, but eventually on my turbo 2.1. Right now I'm running BFG AT 15" tires, but will be changing over to the biggest tire I can get to fit.

I've heard bad stories of changing to a taller 4th, which ended up useless, unless downhill or completely flat ground. Was this while using a .77?

Anyone with a taller 4th and a stock 2.1?

Thanks!

If you want to run significantly larger tires, I'd say 'No'. My 5 speed ACW came with a .70 5th gear and it was too tall to use with 255/55-16 tires except above 75mph. Down around 60-65mph the engine was too low in the power band and any decent uphill grade was too much work on the engine. This with a 2.5 SOHC Subaru.

If you're going to run 8-10% bigger tires, do the tire swap first - its a lot cheaper and they are easier to sell! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Advice is at least to match the 3rd gear equally as tall or you'll have a huge hole between 3rd and 4th. So between 80 and 110kph what ever gear you're in, you'll be in the wrong gear. You'll be screaming in 3rd just to shift into 4th and not be in the sweet spot. I went back to stock gearing with my mildly tuned AAZ Syncro doka, with 215/70/16 General Grabber AT2 and she's just a hair above 3000rpm at 100kph. I'm happy with the combo.
Jeff
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '86 syncro has 88 final and i don't like at all, drops too easily on a hill, has new motor also and stock dia tires. If u can get/borrow 2 rear tires -27"-28" tall,drive and u will see about what u will end up with. My stock '88Westy will run off and leave it in hilly areas.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 0.77 fourth gear and about 10% larger than stock tires (third gear is also taller). But I am running a Subie 2.5. I like the combination.... but I have not driven in the Rockies yet....

70 MPH at 3400 rpm, and I can easily cruise in third at 60 mph up hills if I had too. So far no need to downshift going up grades in fourth East of the Mississippi.

Of course this gear/tire combo would be a dog with a stock engine.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Same question Reply with quote

I too am contemplating this question. I recently bought a Syncro that needs an immediate transmission rebuild. My initial plan was to hold off until I did an Engine swap, but since it seems like an immediate problem, do I change gearing or not? At this time I am leaning to not changing the gearing. I had a syncro with a subie conversion and 215 75 r 15 tires on it. It seemed to be just about right in power to gearing ratio. I however am planning on a little more power this go around so I am torn. The power is less about speed, so I am inclined to keep the stock transmission gearing. Looking forward to hearing more opinions.

Bikes, KTM motorcycles, sailboats, and busted knuckles.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Same question Reply with quote

Keep the stock gearing. Make any desired tire/wheel changes first. Do the engine swap and see how it drives with stock gearing for a while. If not to your liking THEN think about changing the gearing to what you hope will be better. After you do this you will actually have learned what effects just the gearing changes had. Doing a gearing change at the same time as an engine swap denies you the chance to learn the most about what you are doing. You might be shocked to learn how many Syncro guys made big gearing changes along with engine conversions only to pay again to undo some of the gearing changes. Others just live with their regrets until the tranny needs work again. The most common regret is TOO TALL of 4th and the next is TOO BIG OF A GAP between 3rd and 4th.

None of the gasoline to gasoline 4 cyl swaps require gearing changes. Yes, you can improve some aspects for better results under certain conditions but these involve tradeoffs too.

Mark

jgobel wrote:
I too am contemplating this question. I recently bought a Syncro that needs an immediate transmission rebuild. My initial plan was to hold off until I did an Engine swap, but since it seems like an immediate problem, do I change gearing or not? At this time I am leaning to not changing the gearing. I had a syncro with a subie conversion and 215 75 r 15 tires on it. It seemed to be just about right in power to gearing ratio. I however am planning on a little more power this go around so I am torn. The power is less about speed, so I am inclined to keep the stock transmission gearing. Looking forward to hearing more opinions.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: .77 gear Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Have a .77 fourth and 215-75-15 BFG AT -love it but I have a GW 2.3 that helps and I like rock crawling to much so have 6.17 RP so mountains are no problem! And yes I can't go 75, HA! 60-65 OK I came from an 1982 diesel , ha! I'm fast now! Laughing PS did 3rd gear to.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bottom line is these vans NEED a fifth gear for highway driving if you want to cruise at 70 mph.
odin43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a .77 in my syncro. im running a 2.3 audi thats been warmed up a bit and is running on eurovan digifant 2. i would guess its making in the 140-150 range for both hp and torque. i am running 16's with 215/75/16. that 4th gear sucks. dont do it unless you change 3rd and have plenty of power to pull it. the gap between 4th and 3rd is gigantic, which means you are constantly screaming or lugging on lots of the terrain in our neck of the woods. the upside is that it is great on the flats, downside is that it is useless on hills. luckily for me the audi 5 likes to spin and will run at 5500 rpm all day. pm me if you want to drive my van before you commit.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did had a .77 installed in my old 91 hardtop. It made
driving on a road where the traffic was between 30-40mph
miserable. 3rd was low and 4th to high. I found myself
shifting back and forth way more than I wanted to. Even
a motor change from the stock 2.1 to a HO tiico it was
still to large of a gap from 3-4. I ended up regearing
3rd to help a bit as the inline liked higher rpms and
didn't mind taching second gear out. In the terrain I
drive second gear was used for a shorter time much like
first gear versus I tended to cruise more in third and fourth
depending on the speed limit/traffic.
I think the best option out there is the Subaru transmission
project. I think that would be a perfect match for my Zetec
Turbo. I like to drive 80 on the highway and would love
to knock the rpms down a bit with a fifth gear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SL12572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the good advice. I think for now I'll keep the stock gearing, but put on some taller tires. Last thing I want to do is tear apart the transmission, to end up with a gear I can't use. A 4 speed is bad enough. I don't want to make it a 3 speed!

When David Clymer finishes the subaru transmission for the Syncro, I will be a happy camper.

Scott
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: gearboxes Reply with quote

If you look at http://www.t3-infos.de/images/T3-Getriebe.pdf and scroll to the 5 speeds, you'll see the number and variety of 5 speed gearboxes that VW put in vanagons worldwide - except N. America.
The 5th gear isn't geared much higher, if any, than the 4th in a 4 speed, but the existence of 2 gears between 2nd and final means that there are options to avoid engine screaming and/or lugging.
In fact, VW couldn't sell 4 speed gassers succesfully in Europe - 5 speed diesel TDs were the powertrains of choice - guess that's why we got the 4 speed gassers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: