Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$11 Sliding door screen W/photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 2 of the Instant Mesh Guard (the ones on TV but I got mine at a Factory Direct discount house) set ups ($4.99 each) and will make them into 2 halfs which means the opening will be off centre but that's okay. Here I thought I was being real smart and innovative. Good work all. I don't think I'll use it at night once I'm abed tho, depends where I'm at. A Gathering would be okay but someplace where I'm on my own = no thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone find another source for those hooks?

They want $14.28 to ship $17.40 worth of hooks or $13.22 to ship $8.70 worth of them. Rolling Eyes

tam
berkeleyjack wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

BillWYellowstone wrote:
Do you still have source for the 1" hooks? Will they fit the loops on the roof basket?

Hooks: http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Tie-Down-Hardware-Flat-Hooks-p/34038-4.htm , and, yes, they fit the luggage bin loops. Cool

Thanks for the link!

What kind of material did you use for the blue trim around your screen? It's a really nice touch. Gives it a custom look.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Hey Kam…

Update, please - did you ever get into producing these?

Yes. Anyone interested in one, feel free to PM me. Wink

tam_shops wrote:

They want $14.28 to ship $17.40 worth of hooks or $13.22 to ship $8.70 worth of them. Rolling Eyes

I believe shipping from them is based on weight; the hooks aren't exactly light-weight and they use FedEx Home Delivery, which isn't exactly the cheapest method. If it's any consolation: One little coolant level sensor, which weighs next to nothing, shipped from Tempe, AZ to North Phoenix, AZ (a distance of about 30 miles) would have cost me $10 via USPS, or $12 via UPS Ground (I chose UPS Mail Solutions, $5, but it took five flippin' days to get to me). So, $14 for around 1 pound of metal hooks ain't bad, IMO.

That said, I share your shipping pain. I am toying with another hook idea, one in which I can source locally and not have to pay shipping.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kam, I can think of two local places that *might* have the hooks, will go or phone there before making and order.

Though, going to need to either go to the fabric store and get screen or find another screen. The one I got at a Liquidation place was way too small. And, now I notice that it doesn't over lap like yours does in the middle.

If I didn't actually enjoy sewing, by the time I spend $10 on the screen,
$10 on the hooks, $10 magnets, $ on twill...I'd be better off buying one of yours, which will be your 10th one vs my 1st one, so better too! LOL

Going to use the screen I bought for the door on the windows. Realized that if I use one of each side for each door folded sideways, it will almost fit perfectly. Will just need to add some sort of twill/binding to the part(s) I sew, so that it doesn't bunch up. I really like the fabric they use on the ones they sell, but do *not* like how they have magnets down the front, where there is no metal on the vehicle window. So, plan on fixing that, which means it does not matter what it costs to make, mine will be better. Cool

Thanks again Kam for the pictures and information!

tam

kamzcab86 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
Hey Kam…

Update, please - did you ever get into producing these?

Yes. Anyone interested in one, feel free to PM me. Wink

tam_shops wrote:

I believe shipping from them is based on weight; the hooks aren't exactly light-weight and they use FedEx Home Delivery, which isn't exactly the cheapest method. If it's any consolation: One little coolant level sensor, which weighs next to nothing, shipped from Tempe, AZ to North Phoenix, AZ (a distance of about 30 miles) would have cost me $10 via USPS, or $12 via UPS Ground (I chose UPS Mail Solutions, $5, but it took five flippin' days to get to me). So, $14 for around 1 pound of metal hooks ain't bad, IMO.

That said, I share your shipping pain. I am toying with another hook idea, one in which I can source locally and not have to pay shipping.

Making it special:
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy flat strap hooks like that at your local FLAPS
pepboys has them back in the isle with roof racks, cargo bags and towing items.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Realized I have some on my old bike rack, now I won't have to cut them off! LOL

tam
danfromsyr wrote:
you can buy flat strap hooks like that at your local FLAPS
pepboys has them back in the isle with roof racks, cargo bags and towing items.

Making it special:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: