Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 Canadian Standard - New Project
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speaight123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: 57 Canadian Standard - New Project Reply with quote

Just bought this little gem a few weeks back - it's currently of its way to the UK from Edmonton in AB Canada, hoping to dock in December this year.

This 1957 canadian standard beetle was in the same family for 60 years up until February of this year. The original owner was called Elaine Cote who bought the beetle brand new in 1957 with her fathers inheritance money. As far as I know at the current time , it was driven until 1966 when unfortunately she passed away, her husband then drove the car for a bit until it was laid up in a quonset hut with an open end door on the owners farm, hense the sun burn on one side. It remained here for nearly 50 years until January of this year when it was sold as part of the family estate after the husband passed away in Feb 2016.

My good friend Ryan bought the beetle in February 2017 from the original owners grandson who inherited the car. Ryan did very little to the car , but he did get the engine running , he has told me he filed the spark plugs down , put fresh fuel in the carb and it fired up with a new battery . That's it , after 50 years of being stood ! The only other thing he did was clean the tank out and clean the wheels up. He planned to keep the car but has passed it on to me to finish.

The car is very complete , only missing a few minor things. Headlight glasses, to indicator lens, few other bits. Both bumpers are present, as is the original engine. She needs very little welding as far as I know. It comes with both original keys, sales brochure, insurance papers and other paperwork.

The plan is to keep the car as original as possible, engine tune up, overhaul of the mech and elec, new tyres and whatever else she needs. I will update the thread as she comes along. Thanks for reading Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Standard - New Project Reply with quote

A fabulous project, congrats! The vent windows are painted body color, right? The original no-chrome running boards? It looks like you have a Zwitter fuel pump on the engine, it could finance something that you need. Good luck!!
speaight123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Standard - New Project Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
A fabulous project, congrats! The vent windows are painted body color, right? The original no-chrome running boards? It looks like you have a Zwitter fuel pump on the engine, it could finance something that you need. Good luck!!

Yes vents are painted in horizon blue, and no chrome on window surrounds or running boards . Also 3 spoke standard steering wheel and black switch knobs.

How can u tell from that grainy photo that's a zwitter fuel pump?! U got good eyes! Interesting if it is , I thought these were for 25hp engines?
Tempie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Standard - New Project Reply with quote

Very welcome in standard land Smile See my signature for a facebook group too !

Visit the Standard Oval and Split group!!

VW Standard Oval And Split
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Standard - New Project Reply with quote

Yes, the zwitter fuel pump is for late 25hp engines from October 1952. It has 6mm lines and fittings which match those on 28PCI type carbs. Earlier pumps had 8mm fittings.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Standard - New Project Reply with quote

Yes, this is a nice machine! Welcome to the world of Standard/Custom and we look forward to this one coming home to you.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Standard - New Project Reply with quote

Sorry to see this leave Kanada. I'm going to have to have a word with Ryan.

Don
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 57 Canadian Standard - New Project Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Sorry to see this leave Kanada. I'm going to have to have a word with Ryan.
Don

Where was this posted for sale? Never saw it....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: