Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick timing question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Quick timing question Reply with quote

First of this was my first time timing my motor.

It's a cheap no name 009. I read that the cheap 009s are notorious for being all over the place when in comes to consistency. That being said, I first staticly timed it using a light bulb and following my idiots guide. I then started the bus but it kept getting close to dying. I then used a timing light to time it to 30 BDC. But the strobe never seem to pause on exactly 30 BDC. It flickered a bit. (is that normal?). So my question is it seemed I had to move the 009 quite a bit from the static position to get to 30BDC, is that normal? Thanks guys and gals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oarse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's normal with a cheap 009 (or any 009 that I've encountered.) Timing it at full advance is the only safe way to be sure of where it is advancing to.

As for the timing scatter, check the distributor drive pinion end play (sorry but I don't recall the spec off the top of my head, perhaps somebody else here can chime in.) The end play is set with washers below the drive pinion. Be careful you don't let them fall into the case when you do this. The easiest way I have found to remove them is to insert a long screwdriver until you have it in the center of the washers, and then use a magnet (the little pen sized telescopic ones work well) to pull them out around the shaft of the screwdriver (install them in the same fashion.) Sometimes they will stick to the bottom of the distributor drive. You can remove the drive pinion with a pair of needle nose (snap ring work best) pliers if you don't have the tool. While you have it out you can have a look at the timing gear to see if it is chipped/worn.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Quick timing question Reply with quote

awalls wrote:
First of this was my first time timing my motor.

So my question is it seemed I had to move the 009 quite a bit from the static position to get to 30BDC, is that normal? Thanks guys and gals.

I think you may have missed out the step that the engine needs to be revved till the advance is all in and then make sure that = 30.

http://www.vw-resource.com/009_dizzy.html
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krusher has a good point that may seem obvious to people who have done this before. There are three timing references that you will hear discussed. The first is static (not running) timing, timing at idle and timing at full advence. Setting the static timing is mainly done to just get it running and to confirm Top Dead Center (TDC of number one piston). Once running, if you are not messing with the factory set distributor curve, then just rev it till the max advance is achieved, then rotate the distributor to factory max advance or the advance max of your choosing and tighten the distributor nut. Usually the max is reached in the 2800-3500 RPM level and depending on your engine combo this needs to be played with to get max power, cooling, efficiency and detonation resistance. It is important to recheck it's advance operation after tightening since the distributor can turn in the case until you get it tight.
Another thing to note is You mentioned BDC (Which is Bottom Dead Center). Just make sure you are referencing BTDC (Before Top Dead Center).
Spark that occurs BTDC is the definition of "Advanced"
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick timing question Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

I think you may have missed out the step that the engine needs to be revved till the advance is all in and then make sure that = 30.

Haha no I didn't miss that step. I used my old sears engine analyzer to make sure I rev to 3500.

Oh and my bad I ment BTDC. Thanks for everyones input, you guys made me more confident in my results. One last thing, what is the down side if I'm off a tiny bit in either direction?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick timing question Reply with quote

awalls wrote:
But the strobe never seem to pause on exactly 30 BDC. It flickered a bit. (is that normal?).

Like this?

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah like that, maybe a bit more
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quick timing question Reply with quote

awalls wrote:
krusher wrote:

Haha no I didn't miss that step. I used my old sears engine analyzer to make sure I rev to 3500.

Oh and my bad I ment BTDC. Thanks for everyones input, you guys made me more confident in my results. One last thing, what is the down side if I'm off a tiny bit in either direction?

You being off a bit might be a upside not a downside, try 28/30 and 32 see what your engine seems to like most.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick timing question Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

You being off a bit might be a upside not a downside, try 28/30 and 32 see what your engine seems to like most.

Nice, thanks for the tip. Now I just need to tune my H30/31. That thing is kinda a pain. Is it better to have the volume screw out a little more or in? I was following the steps to adjust it but can't seem to tell when the rpm drops by 25 on my meter. It's only out like 2 turns from bottom and the procedures say it should be close to 2.5-3 turns? I know I know this is a whole different topic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: