Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

problem with filling the propane tank
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a pair of pump pliers (the ones with the slip joint and big jaws), plus a foamy mat. I need the pliers to depress the red button on the Auto Stop while the attendant fills the tank.

The mat is for the attendant to kneel on. Its amazing how many times I get a thank you from them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
...The mat is for the attendant to kneel on...

Also handy in case of a roadside breakdown... when you're praying for a miracle.
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
OK then, please help me to diagnose IF my autostop valve is broken..

How hard is it to depress? When checking my tank for propane I lit the stove for a few minutes, then misted the propane tank. It showed a nice line about 1/3 down from the top - so I gather it's got plenty of propane. But, I cannot depress that reset button to save my life - wanted to get the tank 'topped' but can't get it to take any propane at all - no LP from the overflow - just hiss of gas if I crack it open. Is there a trick to depressing it? Must it/Can it only be depressed when the filling nozzle is connected? Does it have to be held depressed, or will it reset itself once pressed?

It shouldn't be difficult to depress. You may want to try doing it with the tank warmed up (not immediately after use.) It sounds like the internal plunger may have siezed if you can not get any propane into the system.

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thread restart with a similar issue

OK, it seems to be my turn to have trouble finding an attendant able to fill the tank. With the last one, I almost did it myself, telling him what to do step by steps, but still failing. I'm heading toward an RV shop tomorrow, but would love to learn in the midtime. So questions:

1) The van is litterally painted underneath with various rustproofing material. Therefore, I had a rough time locating the "red button" that the AutoStop instruction sheet refers to - only to discover that mine looks like the one in this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198219 - I guess the red cap was lost at some point. I didn't manage to get to move at all. The button seems more "inside" that what I can see in that picture, and I'm wondering whether it's stuck in the "in" position. Therefore, question 1: what does that reset button do, and what would happen if it was stuck in?

2) Current behavior is:
a- when the "outage valve" (per the AutoStop sheet) is opened, a lot of gas is heard flowing out. Transparent in color, not especially cold, very slight propane smell. The attendant told me that this was air, and that the tank couldn't be filled because it contained too much air (which I strongly doubt). But letting it empty for 15 minutes changed nothing - gas was still being released.
b- when the filling station's pump is started, very quickly, gas out the discharge port changes to white, cold, strong propane smell. Pump meter doesn't turn. After a few seconds, small droplets of liquid are seen through the white gas.
So question 2: any idea what's going wrong?

The tank was last filled in June, 2011, and the fridge turned off due to lack of gas yesterday.

Thanks,

Jean-Marc
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
...So question 2: any idea what's going wrong?...

My guess (and it is a guess) is that the outage valve is not being opened enough. Opening until something is coming out isn't necessarily enough -- on my old Autostop that valve had to be opened A LOT before the tank would start taking on LP from the pump.

Possibly the same sheet you have, Step B.a. is what I refer to:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ahwahnee. Yes, i have the same document.

Update, and Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

The RV shop got the same behavior when attenpting to fill the tank: white smoke and a bit of liquid spitting out. Their verdict: tank's full !!!

We tried the stove, it worked. I lit the fridge, and it's still running as I type, 30 hours later.

So either:
- I incorrectly tested for propane when the fridge turned off (closed main valve???)
- The original attendant filled the tank without he/I noticing
- Magic happened.

Looks like this one will end in the Great Unsolved Mysteries of Life bucket...
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
...The original attendant filled the tank without he/I noticing...

I had that happen one night in West Yellowstone. The kid wouldn't accept any money because he was convinced the tank didn't take any propane.

I knew the tank was empty (ran out mid-dinner) and confirmed it was full later. Still not sure how he missed it.
Jeanettedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
This is from my 84, but possibly useful depending on how different yours is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was included with my 1989 Westfalia documentation but my vehicle doesn't have the auto stop system. I am the original owner and haven't had it changed. ??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: