Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are the vents on the bottoms of front doors?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: What are the vents on the bottoms of front doors? Reply with quote

What are the vents for on the driver's and passenger's doors. I'm talking about the ones down toward the bottom with the blue handle.

Are they fresh air vents? I don't have the rectangular, long, plastic vents going to my doors like I've seen on some.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. This explains what they are: http://type2.com/bartnik/manual/pg35.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So because I don't have the "fresh air circulation" ducts in the doors (mine have no opening, or ducting for air to flow), I don't get fresh air coming out of those vents?
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Circulation" is an optimistic assessment of these vents' performance. There is not ducting inside the door for the ones you have. The air simply passes through the door cavity where it is channeled via the plastic sheeting behind the door panel and out through the vent. Whenever I replace door panels I replace the plastic and simply seal these vents up. They don't provide enough air in the summer and they leak too much air in the winter.
In a chartreuse micra-bus."
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air for those vents comes in thru the front edge of the door. Look between the hinges when you have the door open.
A.J. Adams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea where I can get a set of those vents for my bus?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is your bus? I believe 68 and 69 did not come with them and they do not have the vent holes in the front edge of the door.
68 doors are one year only: they have pushbutton handles like a 67 [lever action came in 69] and the lock knob is on the top of the doorsill. 69 to about 74 had the lock knob by the inner handle. Then the knob moved back to the sill, but they have air slots in the front edge. Mid 75 or mid 76 the hinges were complete opposites. Early doors used an allen bolt that went thru the door hinge and threaded into the bracket welded to the A pillar. Late doors had a 13mm headed bolt that went thru the bracket and threaded into the hinge.
A.J. Adams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a 78 Westy. I want to add them in, it didn't have them originaly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.J. Adams wrote:
Mine is a 78 Westy. I want to add them in, it didn't have them originaly.

From what I have read so far, people here have not figured out these vents. They were introduced in 1973 and are air extraction vents to allow flow-through ventilation. There is negative air pressure at the leading edge of both front doors. The slotted holes on the inner door skin at the front edge of the doors pull a nice vacuum that removes the air from the interior of the car.
The engineers missed something though. Water can come dumping in during hard rain. There is a gutter (?) along the edge of the wheel well that is optimistically supposed to channel water down to the step. The inner panel vapor barrier has an opening for this air extraction, and it allows water in.
Your defroster and fresh air performance are enhanced by keeping the blue slide levers in the forward position.
The Westfalias do not have the door ventilation channels that allow the 7-9 passenger Buses to cool off the passengers with the partition panel vents, and they do not have the door extractors because less airflow occurs through the ventilation system, and I suppose the louvred side glass leaks air anyhow.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A.J. Adams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's settled, you open the vent, and air moves thru it. Now where can I find a set for sale?
Bravhefen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Found One Reply with quote

Hey I found one vent grill. If your interested It's yours. It's in very good shape. I figure at minimum you could cut the hole for the grill, clip it in place and paint behind it black.

Let me know. I looked and looked for the other one. but I could only find the one.

Rob

Proude SBS Member #12
78' Transporter
69' Westy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: