Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making Chili in the Westy and other Recipes.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Making Chili in the Westy and other Recipes. Reply with quote

Several months ago. I read a thread and in this thread, Vermontgirl mentioned how she would
play cribbage with her Dad at a lake in Vermont. Me being a big fan of cribbage and a hack cribbage
board maker, I asked her if I could make her a Tintop board? She said yes, and the board was
mailed out a couple of weeks later. She was on her Journey to the West coast from New England and
the board would be waiting for her when she arrived.

She out of the kindness of her heart sent me some fantastic brew!! I could not believe that she
sent this Ale cross country, for which I am very thankful! Thank You Vermontgirl, the kind gesture
is much appreciated!!

I told her that I would be making a video of my meal paired with her Oatmeal IPA. I was thinking
Westy Chili and she agreed. Here below is my video of Westy Chili paired with Fort George Oatmael IPA.

The Chili diffinately complimented this Ale. For us in the Northeast, most of our micro beers are bottled
in glass. If I lived in the Pacific NW this would be my new favorite!!

Thank You again Vermontgirl!!

Link

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee

Last edited by Timwhy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: chili Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Cool! She is good people , oh ! what time is dinner! I'm hungry. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim we put the board you made for me to use this weekend. Still
learning the game but getting better. The weather was perfect for
camping this weekend and would have stayed tonight but
my wife's grandfather was rushed to the hospital.
We try and camp for most holidays regardless of the time
of year. It's a great group of people that I am sure you would
fit right into. I'll add your email to our next planning session
and see if you can make it.
One of our buddies pulls a camp kitchen trailer all set up
to feed a group that's there for everyone to use.
We just need to make a camp bar trailer now...
Thanks for the video. Always enjoy your posts Tim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by BillM on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are very good in the Westy Kitchen. Cool Looks like you have it down to a fine art. Shaved beef, I'm not sure what that is but it looks better than ground beef. I'm a lager drinker Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does it permanently stink of chili and anti-freeze now? Laughing
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwww..... Glad you liked the brews! Gimme some of that chili!!

Hope to meet you on the other coast this summer.

Cheers to you my friend,

(... and his nobs makes 29...)

Vermontgirl

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the recipe please, looks tasty...i think id make that in my propane crockpot outside though, stinky foods not allowed in the van.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just watched the whole thing... nice signature at the end Exclamation Sounded like a wet one...

Your cast-iron use has me inspired. I just picked up a new 8-inch skillet for the van. I don't care how heavy they are; there's nothing better to cook in. Might have to splurge and get that pot/dutch oven you cooked your chili in.

Maybe there can be some sort of vanagon meet-up the end of September somewhere in New England? I'll just be finishing my job on Cape Cod and heading to Vermont to see family before driving west again. Wish I could make it to West River Westies..

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
Post the recipe please, looks tasty...i think id make that in my propane crockpot outside though, stinky foods not allowed in the van.

The recipe is pretty simple. butter, green pepper, onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, ground black pepper, shaved steak, seasoning packet, large can diced tomatos, large can black beans, small can corn, small can tomato sauce, sizes and protions will vary depending how many mouths are being feed and how large a pot you are using. My Dutch Oven is a 2 quart size. Cook in the above order.

vermontgirl wrote:
just watched the whole thing... nice signature at the end Exclamation Sounded like a wet one...

Your cast-iron use has me inspired. I just picked up a new 8-inch skillet for the van. I don't care how heavy they are; there's nothing better to cook in. Might have to splurge and get that pot/dutch oven you cooked your chili in.

Maybe there can be some sort of vanagon meet-up the end of September somewhere in New England? I'll just be finishing my job on Cape Cod and heading to Vermont to see family before driving west again. Wish I could make it to West River Westies..

Hope I don't offend anyone with the ending, intent was to make you laugh. I'm loving the Dutch Oven as you can see from my FB posts. If you can find the small one locally, it's the perfect size for a one or two person meal, and the perfect size for the van.

Here is the link to where I purchased mine, $1 for shipping can not be beat and the price of the DO was perfect too!

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-2-quart-Cast-Iron-Dutch-Oven/6115389/product.html

My next video will be Westy Jambalaya paired with Gearys Pale Ale.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tell you are very experienced with that Dutch Oven>>> you had just the right amount of ingredients to fill it to the top!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of not starting another thread, I'll post my new videos of Westy cooking here.

Here is a quick video of my Jambalaya recipe, pretty easy to make as well! You can add just
about any kind of shelfish to the pot, though I choose not to cook fish in the Westy.

Link

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

becida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Jambalaya recipe? Reply with quote

Jambalaya cooked in the bus sounds great! Any chance of getting it written out like the Chili recipe was?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jambalaya recipe? Reply with quote

becida wrote:
Jambalaya cooked in the bus sounds great! Any chance of getting it written out like the Chili recipe was?

Sure! 1 pepper, 1 small onion, a squeeze of garlic, 1 chicken breast, 2 sausage links, 1 large
can diced tomatos, 1 cup of rice, chicken bouillion cubes and water and your favorite Cajun
seasoning.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm! Looks great!

All this talk of "Dutch oven", and chili inside a closed quarters.. I dunno if I can pull that off with the lady, she may make me sleep in a tent due to lethal outgassings ehem...

Rolling Eyes
bryguth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to where I purchased mine, $1 for shipping can not be beat and the price of the DO was perfect too!

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-2-quart-Cast-Iron-Dutch-Oven/6115389/product.html

Just put my order in on the big "O" website.... cant beat the price and free shipping....
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chili goes with everything
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cooked in the Westy but rather in the Dutch Oven in my backyard. I watched several videos
on YT on how to cook a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The best advice I can give is to not have
many brickettes on the bottom of the pan and if you can raise the pan up from them. This was my
second attempt at this cake, the first one burn! It took about an hour to cook and my family had
it for dessert on Easter.

Link

Recipe: half stick butter, half cup brown sugar, small can sliced pineapple, sprinkle with
shredded coconut, then Pineapple cake batter as per the instructions on the box. You can add
cherries for a nice presentation.

I changed the thread title to better reflect the content. Hope everyone is ok with that?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, I like this thread. I'm not a very good cook, unless you like pancakes and pasta...
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend's Westy creation was "Westy Diane" Not sure why it's called Diane, maybe it
was dreamed up by someone named Diane? Anyway, really simple to make and tastes pretty
good.

The recipe is 1 chicken breast chopped up, half stick of butter, cajun spice, 1 pepper,1 small
onion and some mushrooms and garlic. Mixed with Linguine and some shredded cheese. Total
time to cook is about a half hour. Make it as spicey as you want or not, alot easier to add spice
than to take it away. I paired this semi-spicey dish with a Porter, which took off any edge of the spice.

Link

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: