Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission oil change
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

Does anyone know what size hex wrench it takes to get the drain and fill plugs out of a '78 bus transmission?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

17mm...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectral method
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and assuming we are talking manual 'boxes here, is it just a matter of warming up and ditching the old oil, then pumping the new stuff in? What is the capacity (ie will my 4 litres of 90 weight hypoid gear old do the do)? I'm planning to use a hand pump thingy with an in-line cylinder of plastic that you squeeze to move the fluid along. Sound reasonable?
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the special 17mm tool from the vwflaps. It's about $4.

Basically, get the car level after you warm it up a bit, drain oil from the lower plug, clean off the metal filings on the magnet, install, and pump in the new oil through the upper plug until it starts to bleed out.

4 quarts should be enough. I remember buying a gallon and having some left over.

If you are talking about a handheld accordian pump like the ones for $2 used to siphon gas I don't know. stalube makes a $4 pump designed for this purpose which I've used successfully.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
A.J. Adams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on using Royal Purple or Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Has anyone had any good/ bad experiences with synthetic in a manual gearbox?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remove the fill(top) plug first. the last thing you want to do is drain all your tranny fluid then find out the fill plug is stripped. makes for some tough fillin.
AlaskaWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed my tranny fluid (or what was left) last night. Drained it all out and took before and after shots of the magnet on the drain plug. There was alot of buildup there! I wonder if it had ever been opened. I used a gallon container of 80 W 90 gear oil and filled to specs. They sold me a pumper that screwed on to the top of the jug and had a small tube that attached to it to pump it in. The guy said an inline pump would be difficult to pump this heavier oil. It worked great and she is full. Now if I can just find first and second. Low oil must not have been the culprit.

Good luck.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dana wrote:
Always remove the fill(top) plug first. the last thing you want to do is drain all your tranny fluid then find out the fill plug is stripped. makes for some tough fillin.

Good point. More important is that fluids flow better when there is another way for air to fill the space the fluid is leaving.

Re: the metal filings. It's normal to have a lot and the magnet is doing it's job. Send the photo if you are unsure what too much is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

When changing oil, should i cleanse the transmission some way after draining the old oil before i put the new oil in? Not sure when or if ever the oil was changed on my trans. I have Stalube gl-4 for the replacement.
Thank you in advance

Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you. the Stranger
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

get it screaming hot and dump it. if you're a freak, refill and get it screaming hot again, dump it. rinse and repeat as many times as you'd like. I wouldn't put any sort of cleaner thru it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

Oof, good to know I'm not a freak… I just pump a few oz. of fresh oil through it before sealing up the drain plug. Then you still have a bit left over to top up if needed, which I haven't found to be needed in stock applications.

Make sure your drain plug gets the (now-clean) magnet. I've found whacky things from POs…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Oof, good to know I'm not a freak… I just pump a few oz. of fresh oil through it before sealing up the drain plug. Then you still have a bit left over to top up if needed, which I haven't found to be needed in stock applications.

Make sure your drain plug gets the (now-clean) magnet. I've found whacky things from POs…

Robbie

If its worth anything I lost it. If it is junk I know nothing about it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

AhnwS71 wrote:
When changing oil, should i cleanse the transmission some way after draining the old oil before i put the new oil in? Not sure when or if ever the oil was changed on my trans. I have Stalube gl-4 for the replacement.
Thank you in advance

I wouldn't worry about cleaning the transmission unless the oil is obviously contaminated. If it has gotten water mixed into the oil then flushing would be justified.
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
get it screaming hot and dump it.

to get it that hot, drive around for a while? how long do you suggest? lots of stops and go till third gear and stop and go? Just trying to think of a way to work the transmission.
Thanks all and have a great day.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

AhnwS71 wrote:

to get it that hot, drive around for a while? how long do you suggest? lots of stops and go till third gear and stop and go? Just trying to think of a way to work the transmission.
Thanks all and have a great day.

an hour on the highway at 70 will do it. you want it hot so all the crap stays in suspension and it drains quicker. around town won't get it hot enough imho.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

an hour on the highway at 70 will do it. you want it hot so all the crap stays in suspension and it drains quicker. around town won't get it hot enough imho.

ok thanks. I will try that. I haven't had my bus over 50 yet and not more than a 10 minutes drive. I will hold off on the task a bit after i build up my confidence.

What about putting the front tires on ramps during draining process. speed it up?

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

It doesn't take long

By the time I am back from throwing up in the bushes from the hyped oil smell, its done draining.

You do want it level for filling though, of course.
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

Here’s that special 17mm wrench......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

Neat idea!
Facebook Piccola's Paradise
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission oil change Reply with quote

If this is what you find when you pull the drain plug, consider flushing it out before refilling:

This transmission is still in service btw. I drove through a flooded road earlier this spring and it filled it with water. It started seeping grey colored oil/water/ooze from the shift rod input seal, so I got it hot - drained, flushed, then refilled with fresh clean GL-4.

Show em some love and they'll run forever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: