Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nexen tire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Nexen tire Reply with quote

somewhere between new ball joints and needing alignment, my front tires got chewed up. I have almost 4 yr old hankook RA08s on the van. I'm having trouble finding the same tire (in town anyway) and one tire store tried to tell me they were no longer available. A couple of places have recommended a replacement tire. I've found opinions on the continental 185R14 C and that's a possibility.

the tire I'd really like to know more about, I don't see mentioned, but a tire store I like has recommended a tire brand called, Nexen 185R14, 8 ply.
it is a good price, good looking tire, but I'd like to know if anyone has any knowledge or opinions on them.

I wish I could run the the hankooks till I need tires all around, but don't know if the tread worn down on the edges will make the van unsafe.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of those presently on my syncro westy while I get my 16" wheels powder coated.

From snow & ice this past winter to a recent trip to Moab they handled everything surprisingly well.

With lower pressure in town they are not too harsh and at 60-65psi on the highway, great fuel economy and very quiet.

Decent all-around budget-minded tire imho... Cool
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google search shows more than one Nexen tire in that size.

If it has a load rating of 102/100 like one of those I saw , the sv820, that's plenty good enough.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Sage Root
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Nexen tire Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
somewhere between new ball joints and needing alignment, my front tires got chewed up. I have almost 4 yr old hankook RA08s on the van. I'm having trouble finding the same tire (in town anyway) and one tire store tried to tell me they were no longer available. A couple of places have recommended a replacement tire. I've found opinions on the continental 185R14 C and that's a possibility.

the tire I'd really like to know more about, I don't see mentioned, but a tire store I like has recommended a tire brand called, Nexen 185R14, 8 ply.
it is a good price, good looking tire, but I'd like to know if anyone has any knowledge or opinions on them.

I wish I could run the the hankooks till I need tires all around, but don't know if the tread worn down on the edges will make the van unsafe.

I got a set of the SV 820's less than 500 miles ago.
They handle much better than the old Michellin LTX's that were on there.
I can't speak to whether they are loud or not since my Westy is a diesel.
I did get them in about 6" of sloppy wet snow right after I got them and they did pretty good. I think the tread is a bit more aggressive than the Hankook but I have never seen a set in person and I am just going by the pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nexen tire Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
,,,I have almost 4 yr old hankook RA08s on the van. I'm having trouble finding the same tire (in town anyway) and one tire store tried to tell me they were no longer available...

I suppose 'no longer available' is a euphemism for 'we don't have any'.

Readily available all the usual places. These guys ship quick and (I have found) pretty cheap.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&...p;vorwahl=

Looks like they have an install arrangment with:

Adams Tire + Auto Center
S. Valley Dr.
Las Cruces, NM
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a great price on the Hankooks, thanks! the Nexens are in stock, $99 installed. It's good to know they are acceptable tires. we don't get much chance to drive in the snow, but we did in January and I was surprised how the hankooks slipped.

the tires I'd replace have good tread everywhere but the edges. wonder how unsafe they would be...
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Nexens on my van before I upgraded to 16". I found to them to be a very tough tire, acceptable on dry and wet pavement but horrible in the snow and have a short treadlife (25000 miles).
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: RAo8 Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I got a set for my 84 at discount tires recently, so they are around. They just want you to buy something they have in stock. But the michelin tires are cool! Very Happy And for the price you can't beat the Nexen!
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
the tires I'd replace have good tread everywhere but the edges. wonder how unsafe they would be...

A picture would be nice. Some state laws used to say that a tire was unserviceable when two adjacent tread rows were worn down to the limit. Don't know if the laws read the same way today or not.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, since we have a trip planned very soon, and the tire guy I trust showed me signs of separation (raised section of tire that were bald) I went ahead and got 2 of the Nexens put on. so far, feel very very nice. of course I'm comparing new tires, recent alignment and new ball joints, but I feel an improvement in steering stability and ride.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "LOOKS" like the old Cooper srm tires that I once owned. I was very happy with them. I got the 195R14s.

It was reasonably good even in light mud or snow. The think I hate about most 185r14c tires is that they are highway tires. I don't like to camp on highways.

Edit: nope not quite the same as the Cooper if you look here. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/TirePhotos.html They obviously are the tires previously sold as Jupiter / Woosong / Signet / Wynstar. Mostly positive reviews of these.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Hankook's on mine as well, a little over 2 years old. The Hankook's seem to wear pretty fast to me. I'll be replacing mine soon too. Those Nexen's look pretty good.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
beteljuze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but Nexen is considered a cheap, low quality tire, made in China. My tire store guy says he gets them cheap and never recommends them, unless someone asks for a cheap set of tires for their car. Just FYI.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have a cheap set of commercial tires than an more expensive set of passenger tires. These have been around a long time. Always Chinese made.

I admit I'm not a big fan of Chinese anything though, but today almost everything is Chinese.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't nexen korean?
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snwbrdr435 wrote:
Isn't nexen korean?

Yes, they are ... as are Hankooks.
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLAM!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: