Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter Trunk Liner
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD zwitter/early oval trunkliner Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
I took a good look at one of the nos rhd trunk-liners I picked up recently, and found a couple of differences, so I thought I would post them up if anyone is interested.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First difference 1, is the location of the cut out for the wiper motor.

Second difference 2, is the stapling of the top panel so that it lays correctly in the trunk.

Third, difference 3, is the part number same as that found in my up to 57 parts manual, 112 863 505 up to chassis number 1- 929745

Hope that helps someone, can be too many of these around...

Here is a picture of the left hand drive made by Wolfgang. It looks pretty close to me (aside from the section for the wiper motor which is possibly due to LHD / RHD configuration / location of wiper motor?). Note: This is shown right side up VS the above picture which shows the bottom of the trunk liner.

kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Trunk Liner Reply with quote

Where do you guys get the wide style staples and what is best method to get stapling done ?
I have the KN one for my 53. Thx. Paul
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Trunk Liner Reply with quote

kafer53 wrote:
Where do you guys get the wide style staples and what is best method to get stapling done ?
I have the KN one for my 53. Thx. Paul

I used baling wire for the staples, trimmed to the same dimensions.
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
Got my trunk liner installed today. This trunk liner was made by Wolfgang Gips. I can not say enough how pleased I am with this trunk liner. Very high quality. Nancy (nlorntson) was kind enough to pick it up for me while she was at HO this year. Wolfgang left it unassembled so that it could be carried on the plane (and around Europe under Nancy's arm). Wolfgang installed the vertical staples in place so all I had to do was remove staples align the panels and punch holes in the passenger side panel (thats why they look so nice and straight opposed to the horizontal staples which I had to mark & punch. All the staples were then bent over manually.

One handy hint when installing the trunk liner, cover the gas tank. As I slid the liner in place it scratched the paint on the tank. I think I will put heavy black duct tape over the staples on the underside the next time I remove the liner...if I ever do.

That looks awesome! Wow
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Trunk Liner Reply with quote

What are the dimensions of the staples and the spacing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Trunk Liner Reply with quote

Anyone know if Mr. Gipps is still making these? The posts are 10years ago... just wondering the best contact. I sent an email but no response as yet
calikid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Trunk Liner Reply with quote

Any luck on locating a trunk liner ? I’m looking to get one for my 52 Zwitter. Thanks
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Trunk Liner Reply with quote

last I saw herr gips had stopped making them
what about kaefer nostalgie?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402910662557

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
dmooresc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Trunk Liner Reply with quote

K-N puts a huge markup on his eBay items. the best price is his listing here on theSamba --> even cheaper than the K-N website (?)

https://kaefer-nostalgie.com/content/trunk-liner-1952-55
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Trunk Liner Reply with quote

dmooresc wrote:
K-N puts a huge markup on his eBay items. the best price is his listing here on theSamba --> even cheaper than the K-N website (?)

https://kaefer-nostalgie.com/content/trunk-liner-1952-55

His samba ads are only cheaper because he never updates them. He will charge the current price listed on the KN website
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: