Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner Repair
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Headliner Repair Reply with quote

The vinyl on my headliner is delaminating in the forward corners. I showed it to an upholstery guy hoping he'd save it. His feeling was that it was shrinking and pulling away. He said that even if you heated it, got it flat and reglued it, it would only continue to pull away in time. Has anyone had success flattening and regluing that vinyl? It's the light tan, unavailable stuff.
If I do have to replace it I'm thinking of using tolex. The 'blonde tolex' that Fender used on their amplifiers in the early 1960s would look great up there. Plus, knowing what it is would give it a high giggle factor.
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner Repair Reply with quote

BoneMachine wrote:
The vinyl on my headliner is delaminating in the forward corners. I showed it to an upholstery guy hoping he'd save it. His feeling was that it was shrinking and pulling away. He said that even if you heated it, got it flat and reglued it, it would only continue to pull away in time. Has anyone had success flattening and regluing that vinyl? It's the light tan, unavailable stuff.
If I do have to replace it I'm thinking of using tolex. The 'blonde tolex' that Fender used on their amplifiers in the early 1960s would look great up there. Plus, knowing what it is would give it a high giggle factor.

I was noticing my nasty headliner yesterday after they took out the windows at the body shop. i was going to keep it but it looks so nasty and old next to the new paint that I am going to rip it out. I was just going to go to a discount fabric shop and pick up some new perforated vinyl and glue it in place. I was thinking I would just go with black since it goes with everything, but I have a grey interior so black is probably not great for you.

Not familiar with tolex.

I always wanted to use Hemp for my new upholstery because it's so good at retaining shape and color, but I have not looked into it yet.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adam,
My interior is brown. I'm part way through installing a new sewfine interior, all new seat covers, door/wall panels and carpet. It's vanagon tan, espresso brown and beige. That's why I'd like to save the original tan headliner.
Tolex is tough as nails. My only concern is that it might be too thick to fit into the rails/clips that hold the headliner over the doors.
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
GoWestyYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl is a carcinagen so an alternative natural fiber is much healthier. Ask an upholstry shop.
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWestyYoungMan wrote:
Vinyl is a carcinagen so an alternative natural fiber is much healthier. Ask an upholstry shop.

absolutely right. thanks for pointing that out.

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere on here I saw one replaced with wood...I really liked it.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosruten wrote:
Somewhere on here I saw one replaced with wood...I really liked it.

I did that: pictures are in my gallery. However, you can remove the old one, clean it up with Strip-eze, polyurethene it, and put it back with pretty good results. If you make a new one, it is very very difficult to get the bend in it without breaking something.
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gowestyoungman made a good point about the impurities of vinyl. Anybody know where I can score some good automotive or outdoor grade hemp fabric? Hemp has really great properties, is long lasting, retains color and shape, and is the source of some nice recreational substances, so why not?

Thanks.

locke999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: head Reply with quote

first sign that the vinyl is getting too u is the goose
bumps whenever u touch your skin,i know from experience.
stay away from that stuff.
al
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: