Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front brake flex hoses
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Is this something directly related to the Syncro?

Yes.

See: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427344&highlight=syncro+brake+line
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uff da...why is it these threads always run off onto the subject of hard brake lines...???

Never mind...I get it...it's all connected...

Rolling Eyes Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the benefit of future searches I used this tool to remove the nut on the hard line that connects to the new rubber flex line hose:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Works like a charm. I tried everything (except a torch) I could think of and searched the hell out of the Samba and nothing worked. My nut was pretty well rounded and there was no way any wrench would turn it. I finally found this tool while searching on Amazon, ordered it and bam! the nut came right out. I now have brand new rubber brake lines to go with my all new coolant lines. Next up new brake pads.

Here is the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SBBD/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Disclaimer: I have no association or financial interest in this product or the Vice-Grip company or in Amazon.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread I was almost afraid to do my Front brake hoses.

The point of this thread?? .......
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632036

Were they "Easy"?
Well...... they certainly weren't hard which surprises me being a native NE rust belt unit, I expected the worst! These are also the hard dried original hoses.

They were some contortion moves I had to make but overall...... I'd give it a 6 on the easy - hard 1 - 10 scale.

I made it more difficult on my first one by using a deep 14 mm socket but I simply didn't need to.

Just a little patience was the only special tool needed.

Don't fear the hose folks!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

Recently started noticing my braking was not as effective as it has been, even after changing out the rotors/pads. I suspect my flex lines are ready to go. I have the replacements and will do the job. Before I start,... do you have to drain the system before you swap out new flex hoses or is there some way to keep from losing all the fluid once you remove a hose? I hate to have the reservoir or MC dry even for only a couple of hours. I have caps that fit on brake lines, but I fear if I have to cut off a hose, then brake fluid will begin its run to the floor (pan). So, is there a method to this or just be prepared to have the system self-drain as I go?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
Recently started noticing my braking was not as effective as it has been, even after changing out the rotors/pads. I suspect my flex lines are ready to go. I have the replacements and will do the job. Before I start,... do you have to drain the system before you swap out new flex hoses or is there some way to keep from losing all the fluid once you remove a hose? I hate to have the reservoir or MC dry even for only a couple of hours. I have caps that fit on brake lines, but I fear if I have to cut off a hose, then brake fluid will begin its run to the floor (pan). So, is there a method to this or just be prepared to have the system self-drain as I go?

Brake fluid is going to drool out when you open the system but its fairly minimal. Golf tees are great for plugging cut hoses and you can always use Vise Grips on the hose that's coming off.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

you can also block the pedal

do all 4 at one time, then flush out all the old fluid with new; brake fluid needs to be replaced every 2 years even if the van is not driven at all
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

If you want to minimize fluid loss, work one wheel at a time. Push down the brake pedal a couple inches and fasten it there. This prevents air intrusion from the master cylinder side by blocking the reservoir port. Bleed each side as you finish it before moving on to the next.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

Move the brake bleeder cap over to the end of the hard line as soon as it's open...it'll stop the flow.

Chris Peck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

I'm in the process of replacing front brake lines in my 86 Vanagon, the brake lines having never been changed. This might help, The top and bottom fittings are totally frozen, so I first cut the bottom flex hose so I could get a six point,14mm, socket on it (great idea), still no movement. I keep that 11mm flare nut captive with a open end wrench. I bent the flex hose back on itself and crimped with a big plastic tie., drip bucket and latex gloves needed here. Working on the bottom union I removed the bracket, (small bolt) the flare nut can be loosened and the "j" hard line can be removed from the brake body. This allowed me to get that "j" piece out of the van and into a vise. Now, slip a 11MM box end wrench over the one free flare nut, pass it over onto the frozen one. No flare nut tool needed. It is in the vise, PB blaster, heat, etc, and I hope to get it loose. No clue where to find a "j" piece, so I am being very patient here.
I will next move to the top union, I did buy a flare nut tool, but I am worried I won't be able to break the top union free. Looks like it might be a double vise grip move, if the hard line nut is damaged I will then move forward to replace the hard line, although I am hoping this is not the case
Get that battery cover on top union out of the way, I plan to reinstall with sheet metal screws, It does keep the battery compartment dry.
That makes it so much easier.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

Get yourself Knipex pliers with smooth parallel jaws. I never use flare wrenches at the shop to loosen brake lines. Unless it's extremely rusty, they always come out. S:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=CjwKCAiAkrWdBhBkEiwAZ9cdcBsd7hTgzEwcXml8e2Kb-9bcrQwxfc3erobAVxZKIWuCTM7mzd9IVBoC0NoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds" target="_blank">https://www.grainger.com/product/10U089?gucid=N:N:...lsrc=aw.ds

If you have the early brake lines, the top clamp is bolted to the frame rail, so you can spin the whole thing with a 14mm box wrench or socket, if you remove the screw holding the clamp. Later vans have the welded clamp, so that's not an option.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

Just did this job yesterday, 1987 Westy. Replaced all flex lines with Bus Depot parts. The Bus Depot hose lengths were fine. I used flare nut wrenches, 11 and 14mm. I was very patient and careful. One nut on the rear was solid against the hard line it was twisting the hard line. I was able to open the other nut and spin the whole hose without fighting the hardline issue. Replaced the same way. The toughest by far is the passenger front flex line. As noted there is a vent box that only allows partial access. I first attempted to get the line loose in the space available, but that was a stripped nut waiting to happen. I removed the box as noted by dhaavers and access was great. I removed the vent box by drilling out the 2 bottom rivets, and I used a chisel and hammer on the other 3. Chisel worked great, came right out with one whack each. When finished I opened the rivet holes with a punch and re-riveted back in place. The job requires patience to not strip the brake line nuts, but doable. Took most of afternoon. I have been holding off performing the flex line replacement, but bit the bullet and jumped in. Not as bad as I was expecting. Key is taking that box out.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

Nice work! A job well done… Cool

- Dave

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: front brake flex hoses Reply with quote

Nobody's mentioned good penetrating oil. The new Liquid Wrench formula beat PB, and all the others. I had great luck changing my lines because for a couple weeks I soaked them every few days before going to work.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: