Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

July 51 Type 15A Karmann Kabriolet – it’s a bit of a project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body is off at the blaster's awaiting its turn; it is in good company sitting between a 356 and an Aston Martin!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also took along the bonnet and NOS front quarters which are showing some surface rust:

The body should be blasted in about 3 weeks time, at which time we'll get to see the true extent of bodywork required...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts wise, the big parts I am missing are one front seat (I don't need covers), one rear side window (complete with frame) and the rear window. I also need a few small bits such as a couple of overriders...

That's it for now - don't expect fast and furious updates, but as I have something to add, I'll add it Smile

Cheers,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome project!

I hope your sand blast shop knows what they're doing. I had my vert sand blasted and they warped the crap out of the panels! Maybe they won't use sand or other media's that heat up and wrap the metal.

It might be worth a phone call if you haven't covered this subject with them already. Smile

Cheers!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Awesome project!

I hope your sand blast shop knows what they're doing. I had my vert sand blasted and they warped the crap out of the panels! Maybe they won't use sand or other media's that heat up and wrap the metal.

It might be worth a phone call if you haven't covered this subject with them already. Smile

Cheers!

Thanks for the warning - I did my research and chose carefully. The first stage is a plastic media that is very gentle, the next phase is a courser material that is only used where needed. They do a lot of very nice cars there. Having said that I am not convinced my panels are straight to start with...

Dave
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend's son, Louis, spent some time on the Selecta tools making images of all our cars - this is his interpretation of my car which is pretty much spot on! IT should be Browna nd Brown but the L72 has come oput a bit green...

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bally wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Awesome project!

Cheers!

Thanks for the warning - I did my research and chose carefully. The first stage is a plastic media that is very gentle, the next phase is a courser material that is only used where needed. They do a lot of very nice cars there. Having said that I am not convinced my panels are straight to start with...

Dave

You're welcome Very Happy . I love to share my experiences w/others to prevent my mistakes. I'm glad to hear they are not going to blast it with an aggressive media right out of the gate! I spent LOTS of hours beating the panels back into shape after the shop I used really screwed up my panels.

Good luck and I can't wait to see more updates!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the metal inside the pan is thick, i would give it a good hot pressure water cleaning, then use some rust preventive sprayed in there, then some cavity wax or similar products.

If there are no rust penetration issues and other things to address, don't open up the tunnel. you'll save a lot of time..
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:
the metal inside the pan is thick, i would give it a good hot pressure water cleaning, then use some rust preventive sprayed in there, then some cavity wax or similar products.

If there are no rust penetration issues and other things to address, don't open up the tunnel. you'll save a lot of time..

Thanks Eurodub - that sounds like a plan. I have a small steamer that I have used for cleaning up the front end around and inside the beam bolt threads but that won't be up to the job of cleaning inside the tunnel - it sounds like I need to hire and industrial type steam/hot pressure washer. There may end up being some local rust throughs under the nest but I'll address that as required. Does anyone sell tunnel close out repair panels?

Cheers,

Dave
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it blasted fella. Hope nothing too big falls off Laughing
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some progress - update to follow shortly
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me please if the sill/heater panel reinforcement box section replaces the heater channel closing panel or is it in addition to the closing panel? I cannot make it out from this photo or sketch:

Cheers,

Dave
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you see the "D" shape pressings where the closing panels should be?
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
Can you see the "D" shape pressings where the closing panels should be?

The picture above is not of my car. I have new Klassic Fab heater channels which have come with closing panels and new cabriolet reinforcement sections from VW Robert so I have nothing original to compare to.

Cheers,

Dave
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reinforcement is as addition to the closingpanel. Quite obvious form the sketch too if you largen the picture.
The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock closing panel doesn't have this continuing form.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Davemccabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hebster52 wrote:
The reinforcement is as addition to the closingpanel.

This is correct.

Dave, I may have some pics of when my '53 had the reinforcement sections replaced. I'll try to find them this evening for you Smile

Dave
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all,

if I understand correctly, the vertical reinforcement web within th eheater cchannel is welded to the closing panel (is it also welded to the heater channel?)

The box section underneath is then welded to the closing panel.

This is the best picture I have of the box section reinforcement/ sill strengthener panels:

Thanks, Dave
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: July 51 Type 15A Karmann Kabriolet – it’s a bit of a pro Reply with quote

Hows it going? Coming on??

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: July 51 Type 15A Karmann Kabriolet – it’s a bit of a pro Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
Hows it going? Coming on??

There's not been much progress to report I'm afraid. The floors are done and it is back home as I continue to collect parts, work on finishing my bus, juggle family life and prepare for a house move.

On the plus side I think I do now have most parts I need to complete it bar one rear side window (please do let me know if you know of one anywhere - see my wanted ad for full details) and I also need to curved guides the rear side windows run in. I also need running board trim - I'd prefer original stuff and don't mind some character to them...

I have two front wings/fenders/guards which need refurbishing and four rears in differing states of repair.

I still need the paint code for L72 - I need to get some paint on it to protect it until I have time and finds for the next phase and painting it in the right colours will be a psychological boost Smile

Thanks for your interest,

Dave
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: July 51 Type 15A Karmann Kabriolet – it’s a bit of a pro Reply with quote

stop making excuses! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 18

Jump to: