Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kennedy Clutch for 1.8T or Subaru powered van
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Kennedy Clutch for 1.8T or Subaru powered van Reply with quote

I need some feedback on Kennedy clutches. Talked to one forum member, he said stage 2 is fine for daily use, then I read others saying pedal is much stiffer. So please tell me which Kennedy clutch your running and how you like it (stage1/2). I'm also open to alternatives but, seems there aren't any with the demise of the HD LUK 10-058 clutch. Thanks for the replies!
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have several Subaru Engines, in VW's. Currently running a Kennedy Stage I clutch with tweeked Subaru 2.5 engine approx. HP 180 the Clutch works flawlessly.

You don't need to run a Stage II or III clutch. The 1700 lb Stage 1 Clutch does the Job without over kill. Think the Stage 1 is rated up to around 230 ft pounds of torque that's more then enough for your Subie Transplant application.

Good Luck
VWhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric,

We have tested with both stages. Our Single Cab Syncro (test mule) is currently running a stage II and has a slightly stiffer pedal compared to the stage I pressure plate. It's not too stiff but if your running the K03s and a stage 1/2 chip you'll be fine. The stage I clutch is what I prefer for daily driving with the 1.8T Very Happy
---------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back. John, I wish I had your great looking GMW motor brackets, at least I have a plated GMW gas pedal mount! I think I'll go STG2 as I'm used to Detroit muscle clutches as is my wife.
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back. John, I wish I had your great looking GMW motor brackets, at least I have a plated GMW gas pedal mount! I think I'll go STG2 as I'm used to Detroit muscle clutches as is my wife.
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a stage II in one of my personal SVX powered syncros, and that clutch was a fun-killer. Grabbed really nice, but the stiff pedal was a bummer. But I have other vanagons that have soft sachs clutches, so I'd have a daily comparison and reminder of how hard the stage II was. Just my experience, but having sold the SVX van the clutch is the only thing I don't miss about it. Sad
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kennedy Stage II pressure plate. When I talked to Hobart he said it was good for ~400Hp versus the ~180HP of the stock Sachs/LUK plate, so I went with the LUK for my 165HP Subie.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: