Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus tires: Yokohama Y356
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Bus tires: Yokohama Y356 Reply with quote

I think I'm going to spring for four new tires for my '69 hard top. I've read all the tire FAQ's and it seems like getting appropriate tires can be a bit difficult.

A local tire shop has Yokohama Y356's (both 185R14 and 195R14) for about $70 a pop. The FAQ's seem a bit contradictory with regards to the Y356's...some folks say they're fine, others say that they're not.

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?
Deaffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run these tires, the Y356 185/14's in a D load range and found them to be pretty good tires. Sorta noisy. I run Bridgestones right now, and will probably go Michelin Agilis when I need to again.

As far as bang for the buck, the Yokohama 356's are a great tire. $50-$59 online depending on your load range requirements (Westys/campers should go D).

I buy all my vehicle's tires through Tire Rack.com. No tire stores in my area will come close enough in price, even when I factor in mounting and balancing.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure they are L/T (light truck) tires or you will be in danger.
salvaged_pinkslip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wisdom on type2.com and elsewhere is that busses need load range C or D tires. I went looking with the yokohama and other brand name types on my wish list. But in the end, I decided to go with no-name imports from an independent tire store that were the right size and load range D. If you are in a fairly large market area, you might consider taking the requirements to a few independent shops instead of the brand name.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yokohama Y356 are a venerable choice in tires for the bus.
Don't pay $70 though, they are only worth about $55.
Call up [/url]http://www.tirerack.com[url] and tell them that you want the load range D Y356's in 185-14[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: