Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tdog71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who am I to question another's mans pride ? Well done, sir
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the pic I have been dreading to post. The rear package tray is beyond gone. I have an OEM replacement from WW. I knew that the seals on the rear windows were dry rotted and was fearing the worst. What is strange is the drain holes for the rear window are clean and clear but the center section of the rear window has some issues. My thought is that it has been leaking here for many years. The rubber was actually tight around the rear window. Following the rusted window lip makes a lot of sense, but damn this has me stumped on how to fix without OG donor material.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear window lip:

fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received confirmation that the engine is the original, and the car was black with red (pigalle) interior. We haven't done much lately. I am designing a body lift that will allow us to raise and lower the body onto the pan and do not want to go too far until we get this built.

TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool stuff.

I am with you on the body lift gig... I am looking into a electric hoist set up and making a body-dolly so I can do the tasks w/o help (since this is pretty much my only option) With any luck I will be tearing into and down on my new toy in the near future.

Good luck with your project...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
Very cool stuff.

I am with you on the body lift gig... I am looking into a electric hoist set up and making a body-dolly so I can do the tasks w/o help (since this is pretty much my only option) With any luck I will be tearing into and down on my new toy in the near future.

Good luck with your project...

Thanks,
I looked at a hoist style lift but there wasn't anywhere on the body I felt comfortable lifting it from. I originally thought through the rear side window area and the door openings but I feared destroying the drip rail and window seal lips. I was inspired by looking at woodworking benches that are adjustable in height. I just have to make sure it is stable enough using 4x4 posts and hurricane straps. This was my initial inspiration:
http://americanwoodworker.com/userdocs/articles/199912/table/col_wk_tbl.jpg
I need to be able to get to the heater channels and lower pillars when it is lifted. I also need to be able to park the pan under the body to increase garage space for all my new parts Razz .

Last edited by fla2smoker on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been bagging and tagging every part we have removed so far and using a spreadsheet to determine if it is a repairable item or needs replaced. We are also tagging the bags and boxes we put them in so we can easily find them in the future for refurbishment (my wife (CFO) likes this so after she divorces me it will be easier to sell). It also helps when we get frustrated in one area and there are no funds available from the CFO, we can continue progress on small items. It also helps me determine what we need based on our goals for the month. The wife(CFO) is extremely tight with the bug money and wants a list ahead of time. Btw, she wants a 60's westfalia bus, maybe I should have started there.... Idea
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of restoring a 67 and am repairing the same rust on my rear window. Anyway you can measure the opening in several places for me?
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
I'm in the middle of restoring a 67 and am repairing the same rust on my rear window. Anyway you can measure the opening in several places for me?

Sure can, tell me where you need measurements from and I will post them shortly.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Top to bottom in as many places as possible. I have several pieces of outer rear window cut off of cars to fix mine. When I'm done you can have what's left to weld in there and fix it if needed.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Did you buy this from Bruce ? Reply with quote

I almost bought this car and the exact weekend that i drove all over Florida from Miami to Orlando to Springhill to Tampa .. Brandenton/Brandon to Lake wales to Deltona and then Key Largo... All i saw was rust buckets

I believe this particular one that you have belonged to a guy named Bruce but the rust was just too severe...

I decided to use the same $1,600 bucks and just get one from California.

I bought s '67 for $1,700 plus $725.00 to haul it to Miami.

I would have spent that much just on the floor pans and floor pillars before the weld.

I say part it out for what you can and get one from California or Arizona... a lot less headaches.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Did you buy this from Bruce ? Reply with quote

THE.KUDU.HORN wrote:
I almost bought this car and the exact weekend that i drove all over Florida from Miami to Orlando to Springhill to Tampa .. Brandenton/Brandon to Lake wales to Deltona and then Key Largo... All i saw was rust buckets

I believe this particular one that you have belonged to a guy named Bruce but the rust was just too severe...

I decided to use the same $1,600 bucks and just get one from California.

I bought s '67 for $1,700 plus $725.00 to haul it to Miami.

I would have spent that much just on the floor pans and floor pillars before the weld.

I say part it out for what you can and get one from California or Arizona... a lot less headaches.

I really liked the fact that it was originally black with red interior and still had the original engine. If it had not had those qualities I would have walked away. Rust doesn't scare me, nor the search for original parts. I will dump $10k into it to get it back to its former glory,we will do all of the work except the paint. We are in no hurry and the biggest factor is teaching my kids they can fix anything if they try. Yes his name was Bruce (Doc Brown look alike). The amount of money people want for rust buckets here is outrageous. I looked at a 66 closer to Orlando that had just as much rust covered in fiberglass, and the wrong engine, they wanted $3500, that helped me make the decision to save this one.
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Cool....
I have been buying parts from Gary over at Bug-Eyed.net
The price is right and the products too... try them and tell them Valentino told you about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fla2smoker"]So, the pic I have been dreading to post. The rear package tray is beyond gone. I have an OEM replacement from WW. I knew that the seals on the rear windows were dry rotted and was fearing the worst. What is strange is the drain holes for the rear window are clean and clear but the center section of the rear window has some issues. My thought is that it has been leaking here for many years. The rubber was actually tight around the rear window. Following the rusted window lip makes a lot of sense, but damn this has me stumped on how to fix without OG donor material.

Man.. Just knock it out like i did... i had the same issue and just welded the OG piece in... it looks great now..

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is your project car coming along ?

Any new pics of the progress ?
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a little over a year since I updated this post. It has been a slow year as we have been deciding which way to go with the car not to mention three boys in sports and my job. I have been slowly acquiring OG metal, 66 only parts, and German replacement parts. The body and pan have been separated, I did not build my one man lift. I found more rust than I expected, but I told my boys this just means more opportunity to hone welding skills. We have finally found the end of the rust and have the majority of the replacement parts for the pan and body. In the next few weeks we will start our upward path of restoring the pan, and by the end of the summer when the heat here in Florida subsides we will be ready to tackle the body. We have enough replacement parts to keep us busy and I will post the latest pics soon. I will make sure we update as we move forward and sometimes backwards.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the braking system we will be using a German FTE dual master cylinder from WW. I spent a month trying to find a new reservoir to sit on top. I ended up buying one from VW for about $130 Shocked I tried every vendor online and they all stated they could not source one. The local VW dealer showed 3 available in the U.S. I bit the bullet in the name of safety. I will be using an original 66 reservoir in the stock location to fill the dual reservoir sitting on top the master cylinder. The entire braking system is being replaced with German parts from WW. All of the replacement suspension components have also been sourced from WW. I destroyed my pedal assembly trying to remove the pin from the clutch pedal but was able to source an original pedal assembly at a local swap meet. Have the rebuild parts for the pedal assembly so it should be like new when we finish the pan. We are using Boge oil filled shocks, German bearings and ball joints for the front end and tie rods. The steering box is original and appears within spec at this point. Pics to follow
Finally feel like we are moving forward!
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics from when I first built the body dolly.

Here we have removed everything from the pan and are getting ready to start removing the old floor pans and repair the napoleons hat.

Found the second original key in the tunnel under the shifter when we pulled out the shift linkage.

More pics coming soon!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIX MONTHS SINCE THE LAST POST !!!!! Shocked Shocked

I thought I was slow ; Your making me look like speedy gonsalis Razz Razz

Life gets in the way sometimes Cool........Thanks for coming by and getting those junk parts out of my yard Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kid has sports too and can't believe how much it slows down my progress on my projects... And I only have one kid! Anyway good luck with the build, and just so you know, a '66 Beetle could have square or round pushbuttons on the door handle, depending on what month it was built. Both my '66s were late production and featured the round '67 style pushbuttons. My parts car was an early production '66 and had the old square type. Hope this helps...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
SIX MONTHS SINCE THE LAST POST !!!!! Shocked Shocked

I thought I was slow ; Your making me look like speedy gonsalis Razz Razz

Life gets in the way sometimes Cool........Thanks for coming by and getting those junk parts out of my yard Very Happy

I know. I am so bad about updating this thread. I will get the progress posted up here over the weekend. Embarassed Thanks for the junk parts Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: