Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 "Proud" new owner of a rust bucket
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madd Maxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain on this resto., good luck! I was going to call mine a rust bucket, but, I think you have me beat.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565565&highlight=1960

Wanted: 1960 truck lid & rear fenders
bandet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bug look like your getting done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbabineaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to this stuff, can you give details on how, where, who you sent to for the info on your beetle? How much did it cost?

Just bought a 66, and the motor number and the VIN are pretty close, Be nice to know it has the original motor.
bandet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here and read on the birth certificates. They run $75.00.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbabineaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: thank you! Reply with quote

Ordered it this morning.
bandet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,
Time is really flying and my progress on the car has been slow to this point. Two of my three boys just finished their spring soccer season so only two days per week instead of 5 will be occupied until the late summer when we do it all again. I have been purchasing all of the parts needed to get the body and pan done along with the paint, primer, etc. So I will post some new pics up tonight of the progress. I have been working on little things as I just have not had the time to spend in the garage like I would like to. I bought a small blast cabinet and have been blasting all of the small crusty parts, priming and painting them as I go. I don't know how I or anyone else can redo a car like this without one. The best $150 I have spent on a tool. The frame head is much worse than I thought once I removed the bottom plate. So I bought a new one from WW. I am not sure if I will use the whole thing or just some of the metal from it. Cutting the old one completely off scares me ALOT.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate. Iíve got my own project that Iím working on and itís hard to find time at some points. There was a period where I thought I hadnít worked on it in about a week and it turned out to be 3 months. Iíve finally come to the realization that every nut and bolt needs some sort attention so as long as Iím doing something, no matter how small, Iím going in the right direction. An hour here and there add up.
Good luck on the í66 and I look forward to the updates.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is some of the stuff I have purchased recently to make sure I have everything I need to get the all of the rusty metal replaced and ready for paint for the body and pan:
I bought a 4 stage fuji spray turbine with a few different tips for primer, color and clear. I know some will cringe at the thought of a turbine vs a real compressor but I thought I would give it a shot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bought all of my paint and primer (1 gallon of epoxy primer, 2 gallons of high build, 2 gallons single stage black and 1 gallon of high solids clear for the body, Master Series primer and AG111 for the pan, WW L43 rattle cans for the interior bits like steering column, emergency brake handle and pedal cluster) also,bought the 3m PPS system for my hvlp gun to make clean up a lot easier.

Got all of the rest of my parts to rebuild the front and rear suspension and brake system (German bearings, seals, brake cylinders, ball joints, tie rods,etc. ) and some other miscellaneous parts for the heater channel/defrost tubes, emergency brake, heater control systems

I have quite a bit of replacement metal for the car some from donors and the rest from the crappy aftermarket stuff that is available. I am going to try and save as much original metal as I can and only cut out the cancer. I have decided after going back and forth for the past couple of months that I am going to go back to the pan and get it buttoned up and then work on the body to ensure everything aligns properly.
Bmiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's it coming along?
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine this project turning out to be more than you originally bargained for but in the long run you will have appreciated the experience working with your son. This type of memories and father/son relationship can be priceless many years down the road.

Please keep us posted.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fla2smoker wrote:
So, the pic I have been dreading to post. The rear package tray is beyond gone. I have an OEM replacement from WW. I knew that the seals on the rear windows were dry rotted and was fearing the worst. What is strange is the drain holes for the rear window are clean and clear but the center section of the rear window has some issues. My thought is that it has been leaking here for many years. The rubber was actually tight around the rear window. Following the rusted window lip makes a lot of sense, but damn this has me stumped on how to fix without OG donor material.

Laugh Out Loud! Although a structural part of the body, it looks as though the package tray would be a good candidate for an access door to be able to service or work on the rear-end, starter or anything else back there.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that great? I had to cut out the entire package tray. The top section was just as bad as the bottom. Water had been coming in from the rear window for some time...
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
I can imagine this project turning out to be more than you originally bargained for but in the long run you will have appreciated the experience working with your son. This type of memories and father/son relationship can be priceless many years down the road.

Please keep us posted.

Yeah it was scrap material to be honest but it is a lot of fun learning and teaching.
I told the family that there is no timeline to finish it so we work on it as we have time. Life is definitely getting in the way with youth sports consuming 5 days a week but we will finish it for sure! Going to the Lakeland Classic this weekend with Samba member POGEL to search for more parts....
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some funky green metal in the mail today. The heater channels I got from California were cut too short so I was unable to use them. Been wanting these from the start but couldn't convince the wife that it was worth the price. I guess my whining and whimpering worked Very Happy

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you want to do a shop day at your house . Sometimes a second set of hands will work wonders . Maby we can get Benfish to come down from holiday .
Another day we could go TO holiday and help him ?????

I was reading your thread and kicking myself for not getting that whole package tray off in one piece to help your project.... sorry

I offered to come help; it's up to you. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read your entire post, this will be quite the restoration project due to the body cancer. It appears that you have done a pan off restoration before so you know the amount of labor and parts that are required to get it back to showroom condition. I do think your $10k estimate to restore the car is low, and I assume that includes new paint? It's a wise decision to restore the Bug back to its factory colors and keeping it stock, resale value will remain high. With that being said, get out that grinder and start cutting! Also, keep us posted on how well that new turbine paint sprayer works.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Let me know if you want to do a shop day at your house . Sometimes a second set of hands will work wonders . Maby we can get Benfish to come down from holiday .
Another day we could go TO holiday and help him ?????

I was reading your thread and kicking myself for not getting that whole package tray off in one piece to help your project.... sorry

I offered to come help; it's up to you. Wink

GP,
I will definitely take you up on your offer when the weather cools down and I have a weekend or week day free. We are back in full soccer mode with practices Mon-Thurs and games on Sat/Sun all over the SW Florida area so it will be tough to schedule anything right now. Plus I know you want your lunch! Very Happy
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwnut1 wrote:
I just read your entire post, this will be quite the restoration project due to the body cancer. It appears that you have done a pan off restoration before so you know the amount of labor and parts that are required to get it back to showroom condition. I do think your $10k estimate to restore the car is low, and I assume that includes new paint? It's a wise decision to restore the Bug back to its factory colors and keeping it stock, resale value will remain high. With that being said, get out that grinder and start cutting! Also, keep us posted on how well that new turbine paint sprayer works.

The work doesn't scare me just finding the right parts has been the biggest delay and actually quite fun although expensive on the east coast. My wife thinks I enjoy the hunt for parts more than working on it. This summer it has been unbearably hot and rainy here in the Tampa Bay area, we have had over three feet of rain in the past two months. So don't want to get out the grinder just yet. My $10k estimate is low. I have spent that at this point and still have another $3-4K on my wish lists. All said I should be in it for around $15k when done and that is doing all of the work myself. Don't really care about the resale value as this will be in the family for a while. The turbine sprayer works really well with the tests I have done. Especially with the humidity here. My compressor is just a 30 gallon Craftsman that spews water even with drains and filters. Definitely going back to stock colors and 6 volt. I have the beautiful Pigalle interior that TMI just started making correctly for the 66. I have the correct 6 volt relays, coil, starter, generator and regulator. I have two F0 engines for the car the original numbers matching that I will rebuild back to 77mm. I have acquired the proper 1300 heads, still waiting and watching for a great deal on 77x69 jugs and pistons. The other F0 I will run with the 85.5MM jugs that are on it and the later single port heads. It was built a month later and will be my main motor so I don't destroy the original. I have no deadline to finish the car which may be a blessing and a curse. Maybe I should start setting up a project schedule and see what happens. I really want to get the bodywork done this fall and winter. So in the spring I can focus on all of the little things to finish it off.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were posted in other threads but thought I would add them here as well. The new TMI Pigalle interior, WW German Squareweave and the new WW wiring harness. I will add more photos this evening. I really have been slacking on updating this post and working on the car....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: