Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAA vs. Good Sam
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milkythecerealkiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am insured by USAA and have their roadside assistance. My wife and I were camping clear off the beaten path and ended blowing a tire. The spare wasn't worth a try since I blew the tire trying to baha the van up some trecherous moguls; wasn't happening in my gutless 2wd 1980 camper. We hiked down the mountain and called for a tow the next day. It was only a total of about 30 miles (25 on trails) but took nearly 7 hours to tow the van out. I explained what happened to my insurance company and they agreed to pay for the entire tow even though they clearly state that they only cover tows on paved roads. The bill was $650. If you have the opportunity to get their insurace by being military or having an immediate military family member I highly recommend them-they are awesome!
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milkythecerealkiller wrote:
I am insured by USAA and have their roadside assistance. My wife and I were camping clear off the beaten path and ended blowing a tire. The spare wasn't worth a try since I blew the tire trying to baha the van up some trecherous moguls; wasn't happening in my gutless 2wd 1980 camper. We hiked down the mountain and called for a tow the next day. It was only a total of about 30 miles (25 on trails) but took nearly 7 hours to tow the van out. I explained what happened to my insurance company and they agreed to pay for the entire tow even though they clearly state that they only cover tows on paved roads. The bill was $650. If you have the opportunity to get their insurace by being military or having an immediate military family member I highly recommend them-they are awesome!

I will say that you got lucky... Their roadside assistance is done by Cross Country (a company that is the middle man and deals with the tower). They love to find anything to not cover something. 1 out of 5 calls they will under pay the tower and it is always a fight if it is anything beyond a normal tow. They even screwed a lawyer (settled out of court).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the Good Sam towing is about, but I've had AAA for 15+ years, since my wife & I are 5+ years memebers-- we get 5 tows each, plus our kids are on it, 4 tows each, thats 18 tows a year for $212, well worth the $$. Never had any issues, plus I use about 3-4 tows a year hauling Dead Buses home, no Regi (or engine/trans ect. Laughing )
and never had a issue, I guess the tow drivers are more laid back up here.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: No Cal AAA info Reply with quote

I am in NorCal and looking for a plan. I have been with Good Sam with good results. I called CSAA and they said the Westy is considered an RV. In order to get the 200 mile tow to your choice of destination we would have to get the AAA Premier membership at $119 for one person, $74 for additional.

They do have an AAA Plus RV level but that only give 100 mile tow to you choice and that designation is only used in Utah. She said the Premier in Calif would be good for an RV. It also includes three other tows at 100 limits. Pretty sure you use up 4 tows in a year they'll non renew you. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: