Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Brazilian Weber Carburators
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Old Brazilian Weber Carburators Reply with quote

I have a pair of old Brazilian Weber carburators that have been sitting for a long time and was wondering if anyone knows anything about these and if it is worth the time and effort to rebuild them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So if anybody has any knowledge of these please feel free to chime in!

Thanks for looking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the old 228 DFV. CB.Performance used to sell when it was Claudes buggies. If you do a search on the site here there is more info. Doubt you can get much in this country for that carb but there may be more info in the other threads. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...ht=228+dfv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB lists a rebuild kit for a 34 DFV, I wonder if that would work? Might be worth a call to see if you can get a hold of someone there who knows anything about the parts they sell.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Low67vdubinnocal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at one of the old threads and someone from brasil offers to get kits.
Jim Schield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Weber 228 kits Reply with quote

The rebuild kits are available from Brasil for about $70.00 each. You can google Weber 228 Brasil and come up with an e-mail address. I am running the carbs on a 1500 CC high compression motor with good results, but before paying $140.00 for rebuild kits, I think I would buy a set of Weber 34's instead. This carb was used on GM Chevetts built in Brasil in the 70's.
Best regards,
Jim
PS: No company in this country that thinks they have them actually does!
This carb uses 6 screws to hold the top on, so one end of the gasket looks like a teddy bear.
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the carbs for wear on the throttle shafts. If they are still tight, a carefull tear down and cleaning will tell you if you need kits for a rebuild. Be extra carefull not to damage any gaskets or parts. If all you need is a gasket or two, it's not hard to make your own.
I have put carbs back into service with nothing more than the cardboard from a cereal box.
What's the worst that can happen? You have to buy kits.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pair of those carbs sitting on the shelf... they're in very good condition, hoping to put them back into service for a 1600 engine project soon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. The carbs are soaking in my parts cleaner for now. Probably won't bother with them for a while as other projects have recently come up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: