Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scam Alert AAA Norther California offers no Plus RV coverage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Welcome Justin.
Looking forward to the end of this thread.

Me too, as it's outcome will determine my future with AAA, and that of many others here.

Specifically I'd like to see a written policy from AAA on the required coverage for these vans. Something we can print out and bring with us on the road. Something with contact information for a person who can unequivocally solve this problem should it happen again.

I'm currently on a membership without Plus RV, on your agent's advice, but seeing Jon's letter has me worried. I've been very happy with AAA, but coverage is only worthwhile if we can rely on the service 100% and everywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> If anything, I'd just tell the driver: "Look, just tow me 300 miles and that'll use up 3 of my available 4x100 tows!

that wont work in Cali, if you have an RV, you do not get the 100 mile tows. If you have anything less than Premier, you wont get your RV towed at all.

I am being ignored by AAA. The NorCal office that refused my claim is not returning my calls. The NorCal office that forwarded my email to fairplay, has tried to help, but, nobody at AAA is responding to my request for an RV definition.

And the guy who posted in this thread claiming he works for AAA, has not posted any RV rules for cali either. Ive asked by PM as well.

this is not a fun dance. I recommend abandoning AAA California in favor of a policy from a state that offers PLUS RV to their plan, IF you might need a tow in California.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true. I added RV to my Cali AAA yesterday at my local AAA office. It was $18 for the six months left on my annual plan. You get up to 4 RV tows of 100 miles. The new cards say RV on them. You can add RV to any of the plans even basic. SoCal AAA anyway.

Mark

Jon_slider wrote:
>
that wont work in Cali, if you have an RV, you do not get the 100 mile tows. If you have anything less than Premier, you wont get your RV towed at all.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure John is in Norcal, like me. I think Socal is different.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Not true.

actually it IS true that if you come to Cali and do not have Plus RV, you do not get 100 mile tows, you get to pay out of pocket

I stand corrected than you can add Plus RV to SoCal AAA policies, good to know

bottom line is, in Cali, you need some kind of PLUS RV, and it is true you cannot buy it in NorCal but you Can buy it in SoCal

also good to know you can add Plus RV in SoCal not just to Premier, thanks

as to kuleinc being in NorCal like me, that is true

bear in mind you can buy SoCal AAA by providing a SoCal address, and using a NorCal mailing address

I think it is clear that PLUS RV is required for peace of mind in California, until AAA rolls over on their definition of RV to include a toilet.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> If anything, I'd just tell the driver: "Look, just tow me 300 miles and that'll use up 3 of my available 4x100 tows!

And that's the root of the problem: RV. Arizona covers a Westy under Plus because it is not considered to be an RV, from what I was told. If I were to break down in California, I'd call the 1-800 number, provide my AAA membership number and that right there tells the operator that I'm an AZ member, which has different rules. If a California tow truck driver refuses to tow my van, I'd be on the phone right there on the spot calling AAA AZ (which is already plugged into my cell phone).

And as the girl told me Monday: "If you need to pay out of pocket, AAA AZ will reimburse you. Even though your tow was out-of-state, that tow falls under AZ AAA's jurisdiction and we apply our rules to it."

Do I understand it right, that you have two AAA memberships? A NorCal and a New Mexico? When you made the call and flashed your card at the driver, was it the NorCal card/number or the New Mexico card/number you provided?

Jon_slider wrote:
And the guy who posted in this thread claiming he works for AAA, has not posted any RV rules for cali either. Ive asked by PM as well.

Did you contact him via his email address as he requested?

Jon_slider wrote:
bottom line is, in Cali, you need some kind of PLUS RV, and it is true you cannot buy it in NorCal but you Can buy it in SoCal

Yet another absurdity. I have never understood why California AAA is split in two (born & raised in SoCal; had AAA SoCal at 16), but it's even more idiotic that the two have different plans and different rules. That's pretty dumb and highly inconvenient for those residents traveling from one end of that state to the other. You really ought to email the guy from AAA National... he might be able to help.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I visited AAA So Cal yesterday for a few shenanigans, including an offer to upgrade to premiere and this question of RV service.

Jon's experience appears to be simply about Nor Cal's policies; per the agent here, though it is not apparent to most people, AAA is actually a group of companies, some of which have variants on what they will support/do. AAA So Cal (apparently the original AAA) owns a variety of AAAs such as Texas and other states, so she said that I would find service is the same in such areas.

Move out of one area, though, and there are variants in service, as noted by Jon and the agent.

In So Cal, you apparently can add RV coverage to plus or premiere as a separate cost. The issue of whether a Vanagon/Westfalia is in fact an RV is open; the insurance agent I talked with (focusing on another problem) felt that the vanagon was an RV and I would need the RV coverage. I have had AAA tow my Westy without this coverage, though, so I think there is some slippage there. That said, I just eliminated the question as an issue by paying a little extra coin.

I will follow up later (very busy now) with AAA to see if I can get a definitive opinion about whether the Westfalia model is an RV according to AAA rules.

In Nor-Cal, you are subject to the limitations Jon has identified. If you're not certain what your area covers, you must contact your local AAA office to find out what is/is not covered. If you break down in another area, say Nor Cal, you are covered under your original plan, even if that area AAA does not support the service in question.

From this, I assume Jon will see a reimbursement from AAA NM. I assume, but cannot be certain, that if the original call went out through a non Nor-Cal AAA club, which contacted a local tow truck provider, that you may be faced with the same situation Jon did, because the local tow provider may not be aware of the AAA rules in your area.

For example: In So Cal, So Cal AAA guarantees a tow truck in 30 minutes. Outside of this area, however, the guarantee does not exist, as the local So Cal club will likely be unfamiliar with tow providers in other areas (let's say Oklahoma). Consequently, the agent suggested that it would be possible that the local tow provider could operate according to rules that require different standards/availability or whatever. If that were to happen she said, AAA So Cal would reimburse me, as regardless of the local rules, my vanagon is covered under the So Cal policy which guarantees the RV standards per coverage.

Hope this helps,

B.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AAA is due June so I have already signed up for GoodSams as they offer unlimited towing for RVs and this whole AAA paying $300 is just not worth it for me to stay with them. $300 gets you towed, what, maybe 50 miles in this day and age, if that?

Will see how GoodSams treats us.

I did call AAA and they told me my 1987 Vanagon Camper and 1967 Westy would be considered RVs so I am jumping AAA ship.

I live in Norcal by the way.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA Oakland, which was supposed to process my New Mexico Premier Plus RV claim has denied reimbursement.

They refer to my Premier account, but not my Premier Plus RV. They provide no contact phone, and they kept my receipt, they insisted on receiving the original.

The denial says the amount above 300 is not covered, but I have 200 mile plus RV.

I think they are still crossreferencing my California account, and have ignored my New Mexico account.

fwiw, nobody at AAA has responded to any of my requests for a link to the rule that defines my Westy as an RV

SCAM SCAM SCAM AAA thieves!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

trailnewt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Justin from AAA National Member Services who posted on this thread three days ago? I sent him an email shortly after he posted his email address on the 24th of this month. I haven't heard a thing back.

Did anyone else contact him?

Brent
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I contacted Justin by PM, no reply

btw, the most recent denial letter has nobodys name, nobodys signature, and nobodys phone number.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a scam if it's stated in their policy and they paid up to $300 like they said they would. You still saved money on this incident. Where's the scam? How is it their fault if you didn't understand the policy you were purchasing?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

.. They provide no contact phone, and they kept my receipt, they insisted on receiving the original ..

.. the most recent denial letter has nobodys name, nobodys signature, and nobodys phone number.

"Remember Justin from AAA National Member Services .. ? I haven't heard a thing back." - trailnewt

These are the chickensht reasons my family will be dropping AAA after being with them for over a decade. With over 3,000 thread hits, I don't think I'm alone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
AAA Oakland, which was supposed to process my New Mexico Premier Plus RV claim has denied reimbursement.

They refer to my Premier account, but not my Premier Plus RV. They provide no contact phone, and they kept my receipt, they insisted on receiving the original.

The denial says the amount above 300 is not covered, but I have 200 mile plus RV.

I think they are still crossreferencing my California account, and have ignored my New Mexico account.

Right you are dealing with California. To do what you want to do you have to deal with New Mexico. They are completely different companies (franchise). Each "club" is a different company and can do what they want to do as long as they follow basic rules that Heathrow send out. Like for club 007 you are covered for 5 miles and all the miles to scene on a basic membership. Club 240 is 3 miles and 5 or 10 miles to the scene. Also you should not be able to do what you want to do because you called the call in a a CA member not NM.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I don't think it's a scam if it's stated in their policy and they paid up to $300 like they said they would. You still saved money on this incident. Where's the scam? How is it their fault if you didn't understand the policy you were purchasing?

Agreed. I see this as a "tightening" of their rules and policies.
Times are getting tough.. and businesses will look for the easy fixes first. Close loopholes, firm up definitions.
If it pisses off 50 vanagon owners and not thier other 300,000 (thats a guess) members.?
Drop in the bucket.
Sad truth.

FWIW.. $300 is nothing to shake a stick at.. But the real quesion is if the cost of the Premier coverage is still worth it to a Westy or Weekender owner. Seems tintops would still likely fly under the radar. And I wonder what a contract towing company would say to flatbed towing a lifted tintop 7 passenger syncro on 30" tires.

Last summer when AAA flat-bed towed my van 160 miles to my front door in San Fran, I was happy to get such convenience. Thrilled, actually.

My throwout bearing had siezed.. and I might have been able to drive it, limping it long, starting in gear, etc. It is a bit ironic, since I have done that in long past years with beaters. Drove a 280Z 500 miles this way.
"Self sufficiency"

Anyway, I was expecting to just have my Westy towed to the nearest mechanic last summer.. One who knew even the littlest bit about VW transaxles/clutches. That would have been a 12 mile tow, as it turns out. And I would have still gotten home,.. maybe one day late.
Flip side, I could have done that 12 mile tow out of pocket for less than the cost of Premier coverage. Sooooo.....

When I called NorCal AAA to ask for specifics about Jon's experience.. I got a very mushy answer. I do not have a kitchen, my Z bed looks like standard bucket seating, but the pop top looks "RV".. So. I am at the mercy of the tow truck operator.

I am teetering on canceling my Premier coverage.. but will likely wait until it expires next year.

Crossing my fingers that the van gets to Lassen and back in June. Very Happy
And that if it does not, I hope I am not too far from Redding.. or Chico, then Sac, then home.. where each tow, if needed, would come in under 60ish miles.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if the end result of this is some clarification on what we should have for coverage for a westy. I have premiere and did not have any trouble getting towed. They did not ask if it was an RV when I signed up online. When I called for service they asked which car I was calling about and said I have 4 tows available one of them up to 200 miles. It was all good. Got towed to my house which was ideal.

Why would a tow truck driver stand in the way of you getting towed. If he drove out to get me and asked for money, I would say no and he would have wasted a trip and won't get paid anything and AAA will get a complaint about them.

Sounds like an outlyer experience that Jon had and maybe only an issue in NOR CAL. Still would be nice to hear I don't need RV coverage for a 16 foot minivan.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Right you are dealing with California. To do what you want to do you have to deal with New Mexico

My post above was because Oakland refused my New Mexico reimbursement.

Oakland processes not only NorCal, but also New Mexico.

The problem is now SOLVED!

I spoke to AAA NorCal and they just realized my reimbursement request was for a New Mexico Member, NOT for a NorCal Member. They MISTAKENLY reprocessed my second refund request under my NorCal policy instead.

A very nice lady who made the mistake processing my New Mexico AAA claim, has corrected her error, and my refund check is on the way.

That nice lady also told me that EVEN SOCAL AAA Plus RV has a $300 limit. I dont think she knows what she is talking about. I called SoCal AAA and they told me that Plus RV in SoCal allows 100 miles of towing, for an RV. I also called New Mexico AAA and they told me they are owned by SoCal AAA and use the same rules.

for me, New Mexico Premier Plus RV is a WINNER!!

me so happy

I still think AAA Cali lack of Plus RV coverage and applying the RV rule to a Westy is a corporate SCAM! and they have never provided any link to the definition of RV.. Instead they tell you that Premier covers an RV.. up to $300

I will renew my New Mexico Premier Plus RV.

I will NEVER buy Northern California AAA again.

Last edited by Jon_slider on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
yes I contacted Justin by PM, no reply

btw, the most recent denial letter has nobodys name, nobodys signature, and nobodys phone number.

By using the word SCAM multiple times in the subect line and individual postings do you actually think they are going to try and help you Rolling Eyes

Once again, this thread and the manner at which the OP has gone about trying to be heard has hurt many in the process.
Anyone who doesn't believe that DMVs, insurance companies and AAA don't monitor open forums is in for a rude awakening.
Posts like this are saved and used to demonstrate exactly what the group willing to post feels about the coverage, descriptions and legal matters of relavance.

Hey, Cali is Cali, that ain't gonna change.

Getting together as a group and petitioning for the coverage you want and need is the only way coverage will be increased, IMHO.

It is very clear to me that if certain areas do not have the same coverage as the rest of us.....those areas have plenty of people abusing the coverage Exclamation
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the AAA New Mexico Refund check. Any questions?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a Norcal person able to get his westy towed with AAA?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: