Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scam Alert AAA Norther California offers no Plus RV coverage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
look at this link
http://calstate.aaa.com/membership/compare-our-membership-levels/compare-our-membership-levels
it is for NorCal.
"RV towing reimbursement $300"
Notice the $300 RV benefit, it is not miles, it is dollars.

Old thread, but I wanted to update as I've been exploring AAA coverage for my new Westy in Northern California. The link above to the NorCal AAA coverage no longer says anything about $300 dollars. Now it simply says 200 miles. My understanding is 200 miles on one event per year, and 4 100 miles events.

I believe it is still not possible to buy Premier PLUS RV in NorCal. Therefore my warning stands.

A NorCal tow truck operator came to my house, and put me on the phone with AAA dispatch. They told me that because my Westy is considered an RV under their rules, the 200 mile tow does not apply.

Therefore, I restate my warning that NorCal does not offer Premier PLUS RV, although SoCal does.

IF you get a NorCal Tow operator who chooses to enforce the rule that a Westy is an RV, because it has a bed and a stove, and even though it does not have a toilet, then you would not be covered to tow a Westy for 200 miles.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm reading the terms and conditions and it seems to contradict that...

From: http://calstate.aaa.com/membership/compare-our-mem...#Emergency

Quote:
Vehicles Eligible for ERS

AAA Classic and Plus Members:
Four-wheeled motor-driven vehicles of the passenger, pleasure, or recreational type are eligible for all ERS services, provided they are not loaded, altered or constructed in such a way as to make servicing the vehicle hazardous.

<... snip>

PlusRV Members:

In addition to the vehicles specified for AAA Classic and Plus Members, PlusRV Members are also eligible for the following:

Recreational Vehicles (includes dual-wheel campers and motor homes, fifth wheel trailers, camping, travel and tent trailers) are eligible for lockout/locksmith, fuel delivery, battery, tire change and winching/extrication services, and towing up to 100 miles per incident.

<...snip>

Premier Membership:

In addition to the vehicles specified for AAA Classic and Plus Members, Premier Members are also eligible for the following:

Recreational Vehicles (as defined above) are eligible for lockout/locksmith, fuel delivery, battery, tire change, winching/extrication services, and 1 tow up to 200 miles with remaining 3 tows up to 100 miles per incident.

To me it sounds like you're covered [regardless] as a Premier member in NorCal.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
To me it sounds like you're covered [regardless] as a Premier member in NorCal.

Good luck.
To Be Sure, you need Premier PLUS RV, which afaik, is not offered in Norcal.

I suggest you try to buy Premier PLUS RV from a Norcal agent, and you will then be closer to knowing what coverage is possible to buy in NorCal.

Speak to the agent, in detail, about my experience with the Tow Truck operator Rossi's Towing, in Santa Cruz, CA, who charged me $112 for a 67 mile tow, as his price exceeded the $300 limit.

You can NOT afaik, buy Premier PLUS RV in Norcal. You can buy Premier, and hope you dont meet a tow truck operator that chooses to enforce the bed and sink rule that makes a Westy require PLUS RV coverage to avoid the $300 limit.

I agree the link you gave does seem to indicate a Premier member is covered. But thats just a generic description of services, including Premier PLUS RV, which is NOT offered in NorCal.

I was a NorCal Premier member, and my experience is you can get limited to a $300 tow coverage, if a tow operator chooses to use the rule that makes a Westy an RV.

I spent a great deal of time at my local AAA office trying to resolve this issue in NorCal, they got so sick of me, they stopped responding to my calls, and would not meet with me in person again, after the first time. You have been warned.

Since I have a second home in SoCal AAA coverage area, I now have Premier PLUS RV and can not be scammed by the NorCal rule. Norcal must honor AAA Premier PLUS RV cards from other AAA club regions nationwide.

I have used my Premier PLUS RV card in NorCal. They honored it. In fact, on the dispatch call, they specifically wanted to know if I had Premier PLUS RV. When I said YES, that was the end of where the conversation was headed, the $300 limit Im warning you about.

Hopefully, you wont ever need a tow, and wont need to go through the aggravation I did. I wrote this thread for a reason, Im not just making this stuff up to entertain myself. NorCal rules have not changed, they still do not offer Premier PLUS RV.

Last edited by Jon_slider on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
BlueGrasser wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
look at this link
http://calstate.aaa.com/membership/compare-our-membership-levels/compare-our-membership-levels
it is for NorCal.
"RV towing reimbursement $300"
Notice the $300 RV benefit, it is not miles, it is dollars.

Old thread, but I wanted to update as I've been exploring AAA coverage for my new Westy in Northern California. The link above to the NorCal AAA coverage no longer says anything about $300 dollars. Now it simply says 200 miles. My understanding is 200 miles on one event per year, and 4 100 miles events.

I believe it is still not possible to buy Premier PLUS RV in NorCal. Therefore my warning stands.

A NorCal tow truck operator came to my house, and put me on the phone with AAA dispatch. They told me that because my Westy is considered an RV under their rules, the 200 mile tow does not apply.

Therefore, I restate my warning that NorCal does not offer Premier PLUS RV, although SoCal does.

IF you get a NorCal Tow operator who chooses to enforce the rule that a Westy is an RV, because it has a bed and a stove, and even though it does not have a toilet, then you would not be covered to tow a Westy for 200 miles.

I'm not saying that you were wrong when you wrote this, but you yourself said that the link showing membership levels listed RV towing as "$300 dollars", not miles. It now says "RV towing service - up to 200 miles". There is no mention of $300 dollars anywhere in their description or in the "View Details" link. I believe their policy has changed (or they have gotten better at hiding it in the fine print).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
I believe their policy has changed...

Just read all the details at the links and agree with you. Clearly states "RV towing up to 200 miles" for Premier members. Perhaps AAA NorCal received a number of complaints from RVers and the like, so they finally changed their policy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with membership services. I called the premier services number at 888-409-7222.

Premier covers recreational vehicles and campers. The Plus RV is for Utah only, CA an Nevada Premier members are covered as is.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
BlueGrasser wrote:
I believe their policy has changed...

Just read all the details at the links and agree with you. Clearly states "RV towing up to 200 miles" for Premier members. Perhaps AAA NorCal received a number of complaints from RVers and the like, so they finally changed their policy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think you are both RIGHT!

I just got off the phone to Rossis Towing, and they confirmed that just last month Norcal AAA removed their $300 limit and coverage is now based on Miles.

Thanks for letting me update my knowledge. Disregard my prior testiness please Smile

Thats great to hear the $300 limiting policy has changed. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: