Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scam Alert AAA Norther California offers no Plus RV coverage
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bercilak wrote:
rubbachicken,

Where are you, though? It seems the OP's problem is local to Nor-Cal, and I think we'd all probably like answers as to why Nor-Cal is taking this tack.

I live in So-Cal, and travel through Nor-Cal at least once a year, so I'm interested to find out how this works...

Best,

B.

we are in texas heading towards new mexico, we told AAA we are heading to california, they said it DID NOT matter which state we were in

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacklndn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke with AAA Fairplay Nor Cal office 800-272-2877 (reimbursement office) and confirmed the following:

Nor Cal Premier Package DOES include RV towing. Utah requires an RV add on. They could not answer the status of SoCal.

To elaborate: A Premier Package will cover an RV for a 200 mile tow with a AAA contract tow service.

If the RV owner calls a non contracted tow service for whatever reason (wanting a flatbed not available with the local AAA contractor, not wanting to wait the time for an available AAA contractor, etc) the owner will be eligible for up to $300 in reimbursement.
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacklndn wrote:

WhyTF, I thought "Why are we *celebrating* the Giants? Aren't a public subsidized park and multi-million dollar salaries enough? Now they want our adoration inside private offices?"

Slightly OT: The Giants financed/built their new stadium without any public subsidy...Which has PO'd the rest of the sports owners in the world to no end.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
we spoke to AAA after reading this, our membership, is in my wifes name, and covers her in what ever vehicle she is in, they promised us that being broken down in a westy is the same as being broken down in ANY other car, and they will treat us as such
we had them send email conformation, with the name of the person who emailed and her line manager stating as such
Very Happy

Rubba,

Now THAT'S a fine idea. If an insurance person tells you "no worries, you are covered", ask for it in writing from them and their supervisor. Keep this paper in your van at all times. Flash it if you need to.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from my local AAA office here in AZ. Here's the lowdown for AZ Westy folks: An RV is considered to them to be any vehicle, including camper vans, with living quarters... that is in writing in their handbook, which the girl gave me to keep in the van. What is not in writing, but what was said by the office manager and regional (state) manager was the following: "Living quarters means you are able live in the vehicle as a stand-alone, which means it also has a bathroom". Therefore, our Westies are not RV's in the eyes of AAA AZ.

Ultimately, the girl said it really comes down to the tow truck driver, but they've not heard of any issues occurring. Also, if in California (or any other state), if you have to pay out-of-pocket for a tow, AZ AAA will reimburse you (up to a point, depending on your plan).

Funny thing: The girl looked out the window, saw my van and said, "That thing is smaller than the van next to yours!" (next to mine was a GMC van converted for handicap use). Yeah, you see what I mean?! Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacklndn wrote:
Just spoke with AAA Fairplay Nor Cal office 800-272-2877 (reimbursement office) and confirmed the following:

Nor Cal Premier Package DOES include RV towing. Utah requires an RV add on. They could not answer the status of SoCal.

To elaborate: A Premier Package will cover an RV for a 200 mile tow with a AAA contract tow service.

If the RV owner calls a non contracted tow service for whatever reason (wanting a flatbed not available with the local AAA contractor, not wanting to wait the time for an available AAA contractor, etc) the owner will be eligible for up to $300 in reimbursement.

> Just spoke with AAA Fairplay Nor Cal office 800-272-2877

That is the same office that denied my request for reimbursement. I used an AAA towing company, and was told the $300 limit is for Premier customers with RVs.

get it in writing if you think you are covered for an RV for 200 miles.. that is not what it says in the AAA Terms and conditions at all

good luck

your posts are in direct contradiction with my experience, and your posts have no links to support your opinions, or the opinions of the well meaning people you spoke to on the phone

I would be VERY interested in having a link to something in Writing that supports your claim that my Westy should have had a 200 mile free towing coverage with NorCal AAAPremier

here is a photo of the letter NorCal AAA sent me, denying 200 mile coverage for an RV.. read paragraph 2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notice how misleading the phrase
"to maintain RV coverage you must have Premier Membership"

that means the $300 towing coverage, not 200 miles
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

"Living quarters means you are able live in the vehicle as a stand-alone, which means it also has a bathroom".

thank you for your totally on topic posts. I really appreciate your links to support your comments, and that you are very specific in tracking the details, such as, whether the definition of RV comes from the california handbook, and not from the Cali health and safety code definition, which says AND bathroom, as you posted.

I am pursuing that detail with AAA California, while simultaneously submitting my receipt that Cali refused to reimburse, to my New Mexico AAA Premier Plus RV plan. Will confirm when they reimburse me the $112.10 that California refuses to cover.

Am also attempting to get to email contact with the AAA rep that denied reimbursement due to the RV clause in California AAA terms and conditions, that limits coverage to $300.

And to rubbachicken and others, yes, you would do fine in California with your out of state AAA card, as long as it says Premier PLUS RV on it..

if you show up with just Premier, which is what I have in Cali, heres the dance routine:

Boom Shaka laka
=a Westy is an RV and
Boom
=you cant buy Plus RV in Cali,
Shaka laka
=no 200 mile tow,
Boom
=you pay any amount over $300=
Shaka laka
Boom
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Cali. I check the AAA website for my zipcode and is says I can add RV to any level of membership for $37, with up to 4 RV tows, limited to 100 miles per tow. I plan to do so.

Mark

Jon_slider wrote:

Boom Shaka laka
=a Westy is an RV and
Boom
=you cant buy Plus RV in Cali,
Shaka laka
=no 200 mile tow,
Boom
=you pay any amount over $300=
Shaka laka
Boom
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I am in Cali. I check the AAA website for my zipcode and is says I can add RV to any level of membership for $37, with up to 4 RV tows, limited to 100 miles per tow. I plan to do so.

Mark

Mark, you're in San Diego right? That means So Cal AAA is OK with it, but Jon's experience says that AAA Nor Cal may not honor it; Jon is requesting reimbursement from AAA in his home state.

If we follow his example, then you (and I) may get stuck with a bill for Nor-Cal service that AAA Nor-Cal doesn't support. Sure we can get reimbursed (maybe; let's see what happens for Jon), but that won't make you feel better about paying cash on the spot, am I right? I buy AAA so I don't have to pay cash to get towed; Jon's experience says I better be prepared in Nor Cal; and so should you.

In short, to everyone; your website/local AAA can say what they want, but unless they're the ones providing service in Nor-Cal (and they are not) then you may be out of luck. Forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks again Jon, I await the reply from AAA in NM. I have a request to upgrade my coverage to premier, so I'm going to go into my local AAA office with a copy of this webpage and show them what you've experienced and see what they say.

Best,

B.

Last edited by Bercilak on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what they say. Read the very last line.

Mark

"Expand your roadside assistance coverage
With a AAA membership, you already receive lockout/locksmith assistance and emergency fuel delivery for your RV and motorcycle. For only $37 more per household per membership year you will enjoy:

RV and motorcycle tow benefits up to 100 driving miles
A total of four RV or motorcycle towing or RV tire change service calls per household, each membership year (these calls are in addition to the four roadside assistance calls each cardholder receives per membership year)
Applies to RVs, recreational trailers or motorcycles you own, borrow or rent
Benefits extend across the U.S. and Canada"

Bercilak wrote:
Mark, you're in San Diego right? That means So Cal AAA is OK with it, but Jon's experience says that AAA Nor Cal may not honor it;
jacklndn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_slider is right.

jon I owe you an apology.

I just got off the line with a AAA rep that read their definitions out loud. The fact that there is a kitchenette (sink, stove, no toilet, no shower) means that it is defined as an RV by AAA Nor Cal.

AAA will reimburse the member up to $300 for the hourly rate of the tow truck PORTAL TO PORTAL.

This is in direct contradiction to what I was told by the counter clerk at the AAA office in Santa Rosa, CA, and by the AAA Fairplay Reimbursement office.

Further, there is no longer an RV upgrade available to any membership level in Nor Cal or Nevada. They are still available for Utah residents.

This strikes me as remarkably short sighted on AAA's part, and justifiable cause for me to cancel my membership before the new term begins on May 1.

Bear in mind: jons Westy was towed 68 miles and the charge was $412!

Is it time to start a phone-in campaign to get AAA managements attention to this matter?

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative tow package company?

Here is the link to the AAA page that outlines the membership level benefits:

http://www.csaa.com/membership/compare-our-membership-levels/compare-our-membership-levels
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bercilak wrote:

In short, to everyone; your website/local AAA can say what they want, but unless they're the ones providing service in Nor-Cal (and they are not) then you may be out of luck. Forewarned is forearmed.

B.

Not true. Your local company covers you where ever you are according to their own policies, not according to where you break down.
jacklndn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance?

Their rates are comparable to AAA, include all members of the household and all your vehicles for one rate, and if their website is to be believed they offer unlimited mileage towing to get you to the nearest appropriate repair location.

I'm concerned about this whole issue because I'm about to leave on a 1200-1500 round trip this week!

Here's a link:

http://www.goodsamers.com/benefits/compare.cfm
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Bercilak wrote:

B.

Not true. Your local company covers you where ever you are according to their own policies, not according to where you break down.

I don't doubt that is supposed to be the case, but I'll usually take experience over theory; unless Jon is pursuing a bizarre vendetta against AAA, then his experience is proof that, at least in ONE instance, AAA is applying local rules to service, which means that he's up against the local club, not his home club (in this case, Jon's home club appears to be NM AAA).

I'll add that it's generally been my experience that, the further one gets from the home office, the less rigorous the application of the home rules becomes. In this case, we have a scan of an official letter from AAA pointing out that in Jon's case, the apparent rules and the actual rules on the ground turn out to be different/up to interpretation.

Best,

B.

B.
JSAAA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jon,
I am from AAA National Member Relations. I would appreciate the chance to look into this for you. Could you please send me an email with your AAA membership number? Thank you.
Justin

send to: [email protected]
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSAAA wrote:
Hello Jon,
I am from AAA National Member Relations. I would appreciate the chance to look into this for you. Could you please send me an email with your AAA membership number? Thank you.
Justin

send to: [email protected]

Yeaaa someone from Heathrow is here. Justin PLEASE try to explain to everyone some basic rules.

First your club pays the club providing service and you are covered by their rules. That said there can be weird things happen when they contact your club (like not going to cover my VW Kubvan because it is a commercial truck (though smaller than my F350 that is covered)). Actually the club doing the call can make some money from the members club due to their rules.

Good Sam looks good but you said the big problem "they offer unlimited mileage towing to get you to the nearest appropriate repair location". That is not where you want to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I can add RV to any level of membership for $37, with up to 4 RV tows, limited to 100 miles per tow

cool, you found a new product, please confirm when you have purchased it. I would like to see the card, and whether it is marked Plus RV.

I have been talking about Premier, which offers 200 mile tows, but not to RV's, unless you have Premier Plus RV

the problem I had in ALL of California, (I have had SoCal and NorCal AAA) is they dont sell Plus RV, and the tow driver looks for that on the AAA card, if Plus RV is not on the card, do the RV dance

> Jon's experience says that AAA Nor Cal may not honor it;

no, that is a misunderstanding
AAA Nor Cal will most definitely honor ANY AAA card from Anywhere in the country. And if the card says Premier PLUS RV, then you are covered for a 200 mile tow, and you do not have to do the $300 limit and 190/hour towing rate round trip.

> there is no longer an RV upgrade available to any membership level in Nor Cal

correct in that PLUS RV is not for sale in California
maybe crazyvwvanman will post a follow up on his 100 mile towing coverage for RV's, if he is actually able to buy the coverage.

> Anyone have any experience with Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance?
posted above:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5985879#5985879
"I just called Good Sam and told them of my experience with AAA and asked what they would do for me if I wanted to be towed 68 miles to the mechanic of my choice.

They said they only tow to "nearest network facility", and if its 20 miles away and I want to go farther, I pay the driver for the balance. Good Sam Told Me They Have NO coverage for my needs, which is to tow my Van from my house, 68 miles, to my mechanic of choice."

> his experience is proof that, at least in ONE instance, AAA is applying local rules to service

no. I used a California AAA Premier card. The driver enforced California AAA rules that say Premier without PLUS RV, does not cover an RV for 200 miles, if does cover the first $300. This rule is for ALL of california AAA Premier cards. There is NO california Premier Plus RV available.

> I am from AAA National Member Relations. I would appreciate the chance to look into this for you.

thank you
I dont think I need your help personally. I would prefer you help all California members with correct definition of RV, and what is available to cover a Westy to be towed 200 miles in california, without a $300 cap.

I encourage you to verify the facts I have posted, and let us know if you discover that there is a way to get Premier Plus RV in California.

Maybe you could also verify the product crazyvwvanman describes, that offers 100 mile tows for RV's in California.

And most important, if you can show us the California AAA definition of RV, that would be really helpful.

As you may have read in this thread, the California Recreational Vehicle handbook, defines an RV to include a Van without a bathroom, but California Vehicle code defines an RV based on Health and Safety code, which says it MUST have a BATHROOM!

You could be most helpful, if you could get AAA California to admit that a camper with no toilet is NOT an RV!!! (as also stated by AAA Arizona, per kamzcab86, although there is no documentation to support that)

Please provide a link to the AAA California definition of RV. I have not been able to locate one anywhere.
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Thanks for the corrections. I'll bring that to my local AAA office here in Irvine and see what they say.

Best,

B.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Justin.
Looking forward to the end of this thread.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:

Good Sam looks good but you said the big problem "they offer unlimited mileage towing to get you to the nearest appropriate repair location".

It's actually AAA that does that. The question for vehicles like ours, which prefer VW specialists, is can you bilk that system? For example, AAA SoCal states "the independent service provider can tow the vehicle back to its facility, no matter how far away, at no charge to the member"; it does not state that the facility must do the repairs. So, get dropped off at their place, call AAA again and get towed to your facility of choice? Wink

Jon_slider wrote:
no, that is a misunderstanding
AAA Nor Cal will most definitely honor ANY AAA card from Anywhere in the country. And if the card says Premier PLUS RV, then you are covered for a 200 mile tow, and you do not have to do the $300 limit and 190/hour towing rate round trip.

Exactly. The girl at my local office said basically the same thing: "If you go to NorCal and the driver gives you grief, show him your registration that states the vehicle is a van. If that doesn't work, show him our handbook stating 'with living quarters'. If that doesn't work, pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed from us. And getting reimbursed shouldn't be a problem." What is a problem is that AZ's handbook does not state, in print, what "living quarters" entails; and that needs to change.

My big beef is the following. In Arizona:
Premier $123
Plus RV $165
Plus Motorcycle $120
Plus $95
Classic $55

AZ has higher costs than some other states, with RV being the highest at $165; and, we don't even have Premier Plus RV. Me upgrading from Plus to Plus RV would cost me an additional $70. And the infuriating thing is this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, Plus and Plus RV have the exact same coverage. So why on earth should I pay an additional $70 just to have my Westy, that which amounts to being a minivan, towed? I can see it for trailers, Class A-B-C motorhomes, etc. because they require special towing circumstances (two trucks, bigger truck, etc.), but my minivan that simply has a kitchenette in it? That's absurd. Not talking

I wish AAA National would resolve this issue with their subsidiaries. As I told the girl at my local office: Why would a Vanagon Westfalia or Weekender be treated any different than a passenger-only Vanagon? They are the exact same vehicle; the only difference is what's inside (the pop-top notwithstanding). A Westy even has a rear bench seat with seatbelts for passengers. Why should Westy owners pay the premium that motorhome owners pay? There is no bathroom, no gray water tank, no black water tank in a stock Westy and it's a fraction of the size (my Westy is currently sitting in a standard-size garage for cryin' out loud). Furthermore, they aren't even classified as a motorhome: "Today's Class B motor home is a modified, full-sized Ford, Chevrolet, GMC, or Dodge van. Conveniences include: sleeping, kitchen, toilet facilities, 120-volt hookup, freshwater storage, and city water hookup. Most have a top extension to provide more headroom." http://www.rv.org/class_B.htm Again, it comes down to the toilet and vehicle size.

As I said earlier, the girl at my local office looked out the window and saw my Westy parked next to a full-size GMC van: "Your van is smaller than that one!"

If anything, I'd just tell the driver: "Look, just tow me 300 miles and that'll use up 3 of my available 4x100 tows! Brick wall "
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: