Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried bleeding the radiator?

The resistor is still used when it is the A/C running the fan so most suspect would be the rad temp switch. Get the right one, for 1986+ models, Wahler brand, plus a new sealing ring. If you have the right deep socket(s) you can do a fast swap without loosing much coolant.

Mark

Navy_Flyer wrote:
Here's the problem I have:
While the vehicle is in motion, engine runs normal temps. At idle, sitting still, temp creeps up until eventually max, red light blinks. I hear no fan.
I pulled the plug off of the fan switch at front of radiator and jumpered the connectors. I get two good combinations that work as described in above posts, so I know fan works - but it is not 'engaging' automatically it seems. When I turn on the A/C, the fan DOES come on. So - is it the resistor behind the headlight, or could it be the fan switch in the radiator? Is there a way to test either of those ? Didn't see ANY mention of how to test in Bently - only that they were there.
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a new occurance this week, have not done anything to coolant - levels are still good - have not bled but once since acquiring back in January and doing a flush and fill w/bleed. Has been OK, never above the normal spot (needle sits about a half needle high of the light. Outside temps are quite a bit higher than they have been since I got her, maybe I am discovering an old malady.

OK - I have replaced (swapped out) the big green resistor with a spare, changed the relay#5 with a spare, tested the fan by jumpering the contacts at the switch (and it works). No change. No low speed fan kicking on. I did not wait for the red light blinky to see if the high-speed would come on. Only thing I did not change is the fan switch. So - agree with your conclusion it is probably that.

By the 'right switch' do you mean the 87* switch, or the cooler one (77* I think)? An earlier post said something about a NAPA switch being the best - but what that means is ATM part number (Altrom)?... does say 'made in Germany' though when I just looked it up.

Last edited by Navy_Flyer on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early 1.9 switch was hotter, 93+ degree for low. Use the stock later cooler switch. The even cooler non-stock one causes trouble if you have A/C.

Mark

Navy_Flyer wrote:
By the 'right switch' do you mean the 87* switch, or the cooler one (77* I think)? An earlier post said something about a NAPA switch being the best - but what that means is ATK part number, which is essentially a redistributor of ?... does say 'made in Germany' though when I just looked it up.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The early 1.9 switch was hotter, 93+ degree for low. Use the stock later cooler switch. The even cooler non-stock one causes trouble if you have A/C.

Mark

I have an '87 with the AC belt removed. At one time I replaced the OG switch with the switch that operates at a lower temperature. Ambient temperature is usually between 70 and 80 and the fan operates in slow traffic or idling around parking lots. I've never heard the high fan kick in. No overheating problems.

For my education, what problems would this switch cause with AC?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my ceramic 3 speed resister looks like a culprit. Anybody know where to get a new one for a good price. Mine is crumbling and needs replacement! Also very corroded wires to it! Could be wires but want to replace resistor anyway!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/701959263d
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i can hear it-comes on around 200-202, according to scangauge
poptop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
http://www.busdepot.com/701959263d
Looks similar to under dash blower resistor by the picture! But sounds right! Thanks
westfalexia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

Could this condition (fan only comes on high) be affected by replacing "temp sensor 2) back at the engine? The fan in my 91 used to operate correctly, but right after the shop replaced temp sensor 2 due to idling problems the low speed stopped working. I was in traffic watching the temp creep up, waiting for the fan to kick on and when it finally did it was really loud - high speed only. I subsequently tested by turning on the (functional) a/c and could not hear low/medium fan at all.

I have read descriptions of the cooling system and cant see that there would be any connection with temp sensor 2 but figured i would ask.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

I'm largely deaf....... I can hardly hear the low speed, the High Speed however? Embarrassingly LOUD!!!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

Just replaced the radiator fan resistor because the low speed fan wasn't coming on. Tested it originally by jumping the temp switch plug and only had high speed. Got the resistor in this evening but still no low speed when jumping at the plug.

Suggestions on where to look next for the low speed fan functionality?

Thanks in advance,
chris
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
Just replaced the radiator fan resistor because the low speed fan wasn't coming on. Tested it originally by jumping the temp switch plug and only had high speed. Got the resistor in this evening but still no low speed when jumping at the plug.

Thanks in advance,
chris

You may have already read this, but I figure why not make sure

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=74

I am also currently having issues with my fan. I only have one speed. I pulled #7 fuse and now have zero speeds. I think its a relay - Under dash, to right of speedo on 83-85 model. So i'll look into that more tomorrow.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

That relay is to the LEFT of the speedo, in spite of what GW says. It is not easy to spot in any case so be advised.

Mark
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
chrisfreemanca wrote:

Thanks in advance,
chris

I am also currently having issues with my fan. I only have one speed. I pulled #7 fuse and now have zero speeds. I think its a relay - Under dash, to right of speedo on 83-85 model. So i'll look into that more tomorrow.

So I had a loose pin after changing out the resistor behind the headlight. I now have 2 speeds if I jump at the switch so that's good. My high temp reading continues though as the low speed is not coming on until well over 3/4 up the needle gauge instead of just past the red light. I let it idle in the driveway for over 20 minutes while I put everything back together and the needle stayed almost at the top with the low fan cycling on/off every few minutes. I'm starting to wonder if the temp sender I replaced last year is simply sending bad values? When I'm running the highway, my gauge runs about halfway between the LED and top of gauge.
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
chrisfreemanca wrote:

Thanks in advance,
chris

So I had a loose pin after changing out the resistor behind the headlight. I now have 2 speeds if I jump at the switch so that's good. My high temp reading continues though as the low speed is not coming on until well over 3/4 up the needle gauge instead of just past the red light. I let it idle in the driveway for over 20 minutes while I put everything back together and the needle stayed almost at the top with the low fan cycling on/off every few minutes. I'm starting to wonder if the temp sender I replaced last year is simply sending bad values? When I'm running the highway, my gauge runs about halfway between the LED and top of gauge.

Woohoo, success!!! Finally decided to replace the temp sensor for gauge I got form GW last year which I have always suspected was reading high and I'm back in the middle of the temp gauge! Good news is by going through the process I found a leaky water pump, temp 2 sensor in poor shape, bad radiator fan resistor, and put a brand new radiator fan switch. First part I swapped out in this whole chain of events ended up being one of the main culprits. Learned a bunch along the way though!
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

So the resister is what allows for two fan speeds? My van doesn’t have ac. I let a mechanic do the wiring. And he said I don’t need the resister and he didn’t use it. Now only the low speed fan turns on. He said in the summer I have to put the wire on the hi speed if it over heats. Then only hi speed will come on. Then he charged me 200$. Let me know if I should go egg his shop. Please help
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
So the resister is what allows for two fan speeds? My van doesn’t have ac. I let a mechanic do the wiring. And he said I don’t need the resister and he didn’t use it. Now only the low speed fan turns on. He said in the summer I have to put the wire on the hi speed if it over heats. Then only hi speed will come on. Then he charged me 200$. Let me know if I should go egg his shop. Please help

What year van? In most conditions low speed is fine. High speed was there for a backup to the low speed. Most likely the shop did not have the parts required and I’m guessing you wanted it back and the shop wanted it out of their way.
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

It’s a 1982 diesel. My dad and I put the new gas radiator in with a new fan motor. I brought the mechanic the resistor cuz I thought I’ve been reading the resister is what allows 2 speeds, 3 speeds if u have ac. Ya I feel like he didn’t do the job right cuz I want two speeds. I could’ve done figured out how to make one speed come on with my dad. So that’s why it’s up to you guys if I should go egg his shop. Jk. But it’s a 1982
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

Zephyr_shreds wrote:
So that’s why it’s up to you guys if I should go egg his shop. But it’s a 1982

Super-impressed you kept an egg for 37 years just for such a purpose.

That's commitment. (👍🏼)

Wink

— Colin Chapman
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Can you HEAR your low speed radiator fan? Reply with quote

The 82 diesel should have had the fan resistor built into it. You can tell if the fan has 3 wires going to it. The 82 also had two radiator fan switches. If you went to a single switch with 3 terminals you'll have to get a little creative with the wiring. It's documented here somewhere.

edit: For information. Most of us vanagon mechanics are up in years and have zero patience for squirrels. The idea that you'd egg his shop shows a level of immaturity that even if joking is not really funny. You catch more flies with honey. You bring a mechanic something that is not original and expect him to figure it out because you can't. Good luck sorting it out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: