Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reduction Gear Housing Leaks
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reduction Gear Housing Leaks Reply with quote

I still have trouble with the gear reduction unit oil leaking out the brake back plate. Seals and gaskets have been changed. Transaxle was a rebuilt unit. What am I overlooking?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more info needed!
is it an early or late box (36mm or 46mm axle nut)?
did you replace the paper gasket behind the backing plate?
did you use the big o-ring in the kit (you DO NOT use that on a BUS!)?
did you replace the small o-ring on the stub axle, under the spacer?
did you torque the brake drum/axle nut before adding gear oil?
if a later box, is it leaking from the freeze plug on the back of the housing? is your bearing cover torqued to the proper spec?
is your reduction box housing cracked where the bearing cover mounts? was the place for the paper gaskets on the backing plaet (both front and back of the plate) immaculately clean before sealing the gasket?
do you have all the parts installed correctly?
if you put a new seal in the bearing cover, did it tear going in due to gouges in the housing (caused by poor removal methods) and was it lubricated with a bit of oil before the spacer was installed?
is your spacer scored with a groove, not allowing the seal to seal correcly or tearing the edge of the seal?
did the spring pop out of the seal when you put the spacer in?
if an early box, was the thick metal spacer placed in before the seal into the cover?
if an early box, did you put the thin metal washer between the bearing and the o-ring on the stub axle?
was the sealing surface of the bearing cover clean and smooth (no gouges in the metal) before assembly?
was the drain hole in the bearing cover clean and open, not full of rusty crud?

i can't think of any more right now, but these are all things i have encountered when trying to fix a leak on reduction boxes.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you put a new seal in the bearing cover, did it tear going in due to gouges in the housing (caused by poor removal methods) and was it lubricated with a bit of oil before the spacer was installed?
is your spacer scored with a groove, not allowing the seal to seal correcly or tearing the edge of the seal?

One of these two was the problem with mine.
Weeping out the weep hole.

Turned out that the surface that the seal rides on is grooved.
Need to get a new one.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

36 mm axle nuit. All gaskets mentioned were replaced. Bearing cover was not torqued. What is spec?

There was no washer between the bearing and the small o-ring. I bought the truck disassembled. Do you know where I can get one?

Did not use large o-ring, no groove for it. I cannot see any cracks in housing. Oil seems to be leaking thru drain hole in back plate implying it is going past the seal. Oil is not getting on brakes. Seal was not torn and spring was in place.

Spacer may have had a groove in it, I don't recall. Where can I get new one? It has to be something like that.

I am using 80W90 oil. Should it be thicker? I have threatened to use gun grease or STP. Truck is not driven much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine switched to 125W tranny oil, and his weeping went away.
I may try this myself.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearing cover torque: 55-60Nm, or 40-43 ft.lbs
washer for between bearing and small o-ring comes in the gasket seal kit.
sounds like you need to get the metal washer, use a new o-ring, check the spacer for a groove (poor sealing surface), and torque the axle nut before adding oil (this squeezes the o-ring, making the seal before oil has the chance to seep around it).
you can get new spacers through the vw dealer (not cheap, about $20), or usually you can find good ones at shows for cheap.
also make sure the seal is fully seated (squarely) in the housing. is the thick metal washer in front of the seal? the service manual has a very nice exploded view of what should be in there. if you need a copy of the pic, let me know, i'll post it to the gallery.
the oil you are using is fine. oh yeah, did you overfill the reduction boxes? this too will cause a leak. you're only to put .5 pint in them, not all the way full.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I put in 250 ccs per my shop manual. If you could post a picture, I'd appreciate it. The book I have came with the truck and does not show he washer you are talking about. It is in British English so I have to translate it. Amazing how we don't speak the same language!
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everytime i do those seals on the backing plates i put clicone sealer on it make hell of a diffrence beed gasket beed both side never have had a leak
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgy, the pic is posted:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/106101.jpg
notice how it does not show the paper gasket behind the backing plate. i consulted a later service book, and it DOES show another gasket behind the backing plate, probably an upgrade because the service guys got sick of sealing leaks from metal to metal contact. i have always used one in front and one in back, with gasket sealer (NOT SILICONE!!! sorry, but i HATE using silicone on critical tolerance stuff, well most anything for that matter) on them.
anyway, the metal washer i am talking about is #10, between the #9 oil seal and the #11 bearing cover. this is essentially an oil slinger, and i also (presume) that it helps exert the pressure to the #8 outer spacer to help seal the #7 gasket. it's about 2mm thick, and MUST be installed prior to the seal being pressed in the #11 bearing cover. otherwise you must remove the seal to put it in if you forgot it, and that sucks because you destroy the seal getting it out!
also VERY essential to this all is the #4 inner spacer.
anyway, since you said you got this in a box, you may be missing a piece or two. drop me an email (link on pic) if you need something, i think i have extras of most everyting.

Last edited by hazetguy on Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on all tranny seals i do that well the ones i can
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: