Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

I am just curious if people can share with me what old speed stuff was out there and correct for a 1951 25hp engine? Things like old duel carb set ups, superchargers etc. Does anyone have any of this stuff? I would maybe like to buy something. Tim
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thera was an italian supercharger. Think the name was Intermeccanica.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burman wrote:
Thera was an italian supercharger. Think the name was Intermeccanica.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=379501

Not much else was made for the VW at that time however the MAG Supercharger is very similar to the Intermeccanica and will probably fit with slight modifications I would think.

This is an article from Das Auto 1951 of an Amal Twin Carb set-up but where you would find one of those I have no idea:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mister B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello vintage fiberglass you could try to find a early Okrasa set up because Oettinger start selling up dates for vw in 1951 so correct
Are try a early lying Mag Supercharger but never saw one in realtime
i`ve got a little info on my site, hope it helps
This is my setup in my 1953 zwitter

www.uiterwijk-winkel.be
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okrasa made dual port heads for 25hp with a single carb manifold set up, (1951 was their first year selling a speed kit) which they sold until about 1954, but they are extremely rare, I don't think anyone on this side of the Atlantic even has one............the only set up I ever saw Herman Walter had in Germany.
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sean Nguyen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

I have one of those Amal set ups ..
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

You could always do a few hidden upgrades. Wink Porsche crank and rods, 80mm cylinders, bigger valves, hotter cam, bigger venturi, etc.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Sean Nguyen wrote:
I have one of those Amal set ups ..

Any pics?
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Probably most tuning parts had to be made by yourself at the time.
So anything homemade will do. A friend have an original manifold rewelded with two 26VFIS on it, must be right for the era.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438

Last edited by Kjell Roar on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
So anything omemade will do. A friend have an original manifold rewelded with two 26VFIS on it, must be right for the era.

That's what I think t o...
Especially in the early days of VW, when there weren't any suppliers of dual carb sets, people had to become creative. I think some days of work and you built yourself a nice dual carb kit, leaving parts like the cylinder heads untouched.
Do you have pics of the kit of your friend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Kjell Roar wrote:
So anything omemade will do. A friend have an original manifold rewelded with two 26VFIS on it, must be right for the era.

That's what I think t o...
Especially in the early days of VW, when there weren't any suppliers of dual carb sets, people had to become creative. I think some days of work and you built yourself a nice dual carb kit, leaving parts like the cylinder heads untouched.
Do you have pics of the kit of your friend?

Have a bad picture somewhere, taken a few years ago.
Just have to find it when I come home next week.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

I just purchased a rare duel carb kit made in 1951 by Amal Fischer. It appears in that article posted above this post. It is a pair of Amal fisher motorcycle carbs mounted on small intakes with linage that bolts on top a 25hp VW beetle engine. I am missing a few parts to my carbs and asking for help?? The carbs are Amal Fischer 22B1GP. I have no idea what motorcycles there would have come on?? I was told Puch 175 SVS bikes but then told no. I was told the GP on the carb sta, one for each carb. They are separate and have a hoop that fasten under the carbs?? anyone in Germany or Austria help me here?? Tim
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
I just purchased a rare duel carb kit made in 1951 by Amal Fischer. It appears in that article posted above this post. It is a pair of Amal fisher motorcycle carbs mounted on small intakes with linage that bolts on top a 25hp VW beetle engine. I am missing a few parts to my carbs and asking for help?? The carbs are Amal Fischer 22B1GP. I have no idea what motorcycles there would have come on?? I was told Puch 175 SVS bikes but then told no. I was told the GP on the carb sta, one for each carb. They are separate and have a hoop that fasten under the carbs?? anyone in Germany or Austria help me here?? Tim

Nice! Any pics Tim?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:

I'm sure a lot of parts for your carb would have been shared between various Amal carbs. A quick Google returns a lot of hits for British motorcycles like BSA, Triumph, Norton etc, not your particular "22B1GP" model but it's a point to start asking questions. This is just one shop: https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/contacts and this is one of their how to videos...

Link

Take a few good pictures of the carbs you own and start sending them to likely companies that deal in Amal carbs with your questions.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Exciting find, Tim! I found this description of AMAL in German http://www.bahnsporttechnik.de/html/body_vergaserv.html and also here- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amal_(carburettor)
Quick partial translations of the German article: AMAL was founded in Birmingham England in 1927 from a venture of 3 existing independant carb manufacturers. AMAL was simply an abbreviation of Amalgamated Carburettors. AMAL soon developed into the largest supplier of carbs for British motorcycles. AMAL Fischer was the German company based in the Frankfurt city district Oberrad which had the license-build rights. The article mentions utilization on BMW, DKW, Zuendapp and many other German brands. The name AMAL Fischer was molded onto the float bowl housings.

Note that John Moxon's scanned article above refers to a slightly different carb model designation than yours- 22 C B 1 AP, which has a 21mm venturi.

Seems that most BMWs of the early 1950's had Bing carbs.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the interest. I think there was an early set of these from around 1951 and then a later set from around 1954 changed a bit for the 30hp engine. Any help figuring out what motorcycle used them would help??

Here is a few pics. I am missing the center bracket and an arm part but I have drawings off an original to make them. As soon as I figure out what motorcycles used this carb or one just like it I can find the fuel bowls I need.

Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Have you tried these guys?
http://amalcarb.co.uk/

Aren't yours Pre-Monobloc carbs?
http://amalcarb.co.uk/pre-monobloc.html

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Here is what a complete set up looks like. You can see the float bowls I need. Way cool!

vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Thanks for the links and the help! I wish someone knew what German motorcycle used these Amal Fischer 22mm carbs because then I could find the correct bowls, but the people that know will not tell me because they want to sell me ones, and the other people don't know.

This kit looks similar to the Australian Monaro carb kit that used two Stromberg carbs with linkage on a 36hp engine. I use to have one of these kits and sold it when I got into older beetles. If looked like this.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What old speed was available for a 1951 25hp engine? Reply with quote

Amal is english carbs, might be they have similar type in England.
Here is one tip:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/pre-monobloc.html

Is it like this, 22mm:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Amal-75-416-75-416-Vergase...Swol5Y2hja

Here is a picture I took of an old homemade set, it has 2 x Solex 26VFIS. Sorry I didnt find it earlier. Forgot about it.

Last edited by Kjell Roar on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: