Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Convertible top rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VEGDRABBITS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Don, I threw it! I kept it for a while and thought about selling it, but wasn't sure it should be reused. I feel bad for breaking the rule of never throwing a VW part, but with only a one car garage I have to purge every year or so.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one for my '71 out of wood I bent. You can always buy the hard rubber strip that Chuck's uses.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DStar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK, I understand. I had to give away thousands of VW parts when I moved back home from Germany last yr. Sold some but gave away most to keep from chunking them in the recycle bins.

And yes, a tacking strip can be purchased but I just don't know about nailing into rubber, doesn't seem like rubber and longevity go together on our VWs!
Sad

I'll probably end up buying a wood one.

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brotherbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to thank you for this series of posts. I just got my 70 top put on last night and this post was my "go to" reference.
THANK YOU.
BB
Marleybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

This thread is saving my ass. I am in the final phases of installing my new top on my 1969 Vert. I have been thinking and over analysing this install for 6 months. I will post when done. thanks
1981 Vanagon Westfalia (Sold)
1969 VW Beetle Convertible (Wifes)
1977 VW Westy 2.0L FI Chrome Yellow
1978 VW Westy 2.0L FI (Under Restoration)
1973 VW Westy 1.7L Tourist Delivery Orange
Check out my thread!!http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Whatever you do measure between the seams for the rear window on the outside, and mark that centre of the window area with chalk, ensure that it lines up to the middle of your body before you cut.
Sounds obvious but... mines about inch out, I've seen some almost 4. Hard to explain why it just depends on the way you approach it
Pg

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brewsbrother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed going through the series of posts and have a question that will probably require a more complicated answer than I'm hoping for. I acquired a 1972 European Beetle convertible and the front of the top doesn't reach over the windshield frame sufficiently to seal. I don't know where to start on readjusting or replacing parts to solve the issue and could use some seasoned expertise.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Hi. A little difficult to diagnose the case from the pictures. Is it the frame that is not 'pulled down' properly?

Maybe this good page may help to explain how it's supposed to be:
http://vwlinkan.se/cab/cabrio/newtop/newtop1.html
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Is this a new top or old top? Because a top can shrink.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Brewsbrother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Not sure how to "pull down" more than it already is, but I will study the link you posted and see what I can learn.

Eric

Boble wrote:
Hi. A little difficult to diagnose the case from the pictures. Is it the frame that is not 'pulled down' properly?

Maybe this good page may help to explain how it's supposed to be:
http://vwlinkan.se/cab/cabrio/newtop/newtop1.html
Brewsbrother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Is this a new top or old top? Because a top can shrink.

The top seems immaculate, but I was told the car had undergone a restoration 15 yeas ago. Is there a solution for a shrunken top, short of replacement?

Thanks,

Eric
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Even just putting the top down can cause it to "shrink" a bit. If I leave mine down for over a day, it is hard to latch. So I make sure to put the top up at the end of every drive.

But when it seems to be a bit too much, I leave it out in the sun, up but not latched, until it is nice and warm, then slowly pull it down until I can get the hooks into the notches. Then I let it sit some more before I fully latch down.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
I leave it out in the sun, up but not latched, until it is nice and warm, then slowly pull it down until I can get the hooks into the notches.

That's what I do if it's cooler than 80F. Doesn't take too long to warm a top in Arizona !!
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Fantastic Thread!!! Thanks for posting. I'm sure I am going to be referencing this a lot!

I just bought a '74 Super Beetle Convertible that needs a top. I have never seen a worse top on anything Smile Even the frame has corrosion perforations. The car looks good at 10', there's a decent boot covering the top. Of course I want to tackle the top...after reading this I am starting to think that boot looks just fine! I have done few tops on British sports cars, they are easy peasy compared to this job.
ImaBugNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

I want to echo the positive sentiments expressed by other readers. I am an old man but relatively new to the Bug Life and I enjoy it immensely. We have two 71 Supers. I began in this hobby years ago with a 1931 Model A ford that needed everything. 3 1/2 years and lots of late nights later it ran great. That car was completed in 1987 and I still drive it (though not as much as we used to)

I am one of those guys that likes to do it all myself if at all possible. I am blessed to have a fine shop with exhaustive tooling for wood and metal work.

Now to my questions?

We just bought a 1971 Super Vert with a bad top. The top frame is frozen but that is the least of my issues. I know the wood parts are available from Chuck and I will probably go to him for most of the top materials. I have the tools and possess the ability to make almost anything from wood if I have a drawing or pattern. I am inspired by "Cusser's" pictures of his self made parts.

I know the wood parts are expensive and I would like to make them myself. I have large wood working machinery including planers, bandsaws and large CNC machines. I also have a steam bender if needed. If I had a 3d scan it would be a simple process. If I had a pattern, I could reproduce it, but I do not.

Does anyone have a pattern for the wood parts in a convertible top? Mine are quite far gone and any measurements would be appreciated. I will gladly share any information I can glean with any interested bug owner. Perhaps we could share information and I could build an extra set as I go. I have all the proper hardwoods I just need information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

ImaBugNut wrote:
I have the tools and possess the ability to make almost anything from wood if I have a drawing or pattern. I am inspired by "Cusser's" pictures of his self made parts.

Thanks. But I'm not a woodworker, sounds like you have more tools and knowledge than I do.

But I will chime in that I made those rear window wood pieces just over 10 years ago, and they're holding up quite well !!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400550&highlight=convertible+rear+window

ImaBugNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser. I studied your pictures carefully and I do not think I will have a problem making the rear window wood. I have enough of it left in pieces to use as a pattern. My real concern is the two pieces on the sides where the hinges meet the frame. hopefully some of these really VW smart folks can give me some ideas.

I have plenty to do in the meantime because I have discovered a bunch of electrical issues I am working my way through. 50 years of shade tree mechanics can really mess with a good wiring harness!

7/21/2020 update:

I have decided to make all of the wood parts myself. I will make detailed drawings and measurements of the parts and create a set of templates and patterns. This will take awhile but I am quite confident that I can make it happen. I have a lot of experience in making things like this. Perhaps someday when I am finished I will post the pictures and drawings of the parts to this forum.

If anyone else is interested in helping, we could split up the tasks to speed the process of producing the patterns. I own large CNC machines and lost of drawing software. What I need is a wood parts set in better condition than the one I have to take measurements from. I can do it with what I have but it will be more tedious.
ImaBugNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

An update on self building the wood parts for the convertible top.

It is turning out not to be as difficult as I thought it might be. I glued up some oversized blanks of oak (I planed some flooring until it was uniformly flat) I then cut cardboard as a patttern that I fit to the car until I was satisfied with the curveture of the pattern. Transfered the pattern to the wood and cut it on a bandsaw. I was able to shape the wood on a belt sander until the fit was virtually perfect. On one piece I shaved off too much. I just shaved a flat spot with a hand plane and I glued on another chunk of wood then repeated the forming process until I was happy with the fit.

I will tackle the bows next but I am confident this task is easly within the capability of anyone that has a bandsaw and good bottle of Titebond 3 glue. I will post pictures when I get further along. My total cost of the wood bows will be less than $30 counting wood and glue.

Our hobby has its rewards and I am glad that I decided to build them and not just buy the parts. It is less about the money, though over $1000 for a set of bows seems excessive, For me it is about the pride we take in our craft

Last edited by ImaBugNut on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

Sounds like a good, satisfying project.
llamadaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Convertible top rebuild Reply with quote

I am looking for some help with a 1969 Convertible top install. Can anyone tell me the specifications for the six bolts (3 each side) used to attach the convertible frame to the body?

The long version of this story is that I took the car to be professionally painted. Half way through the job, the fellow doing the work had a heart attack. He had taken the top off the body and the body off the frame in order to paint it. About two years later I got the car back nicely painted but in pieces. I spent the last several years putting it all back together, replacing the engine, rewiring the whole thing - with lots of help from this forum. The painter did a pretty good job bagging and labeling all of the parts he took off. But, the convertible frame to body bolts are no where to be found. I am in the home stretch, but none of my old parts catalogs tells me the size of the bolts. They are not even depicted on the parts diagrams.

To be fair, I have found a couple of places on line that sell them for about $3.00 per bolt (plus shipping). There is a fastener specialty shop in town that generally has anything I want. My experience has been I'll get all six plus the lock washers for less than a single on-line bolt. I am definitely nuts about this car, but that kind of mark up is enough to bring even me back to my senses!

thanks,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: