Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat Belts - Retractable or Not
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
So of the pure-runnin the old OG belt crowd. Who has unbroken hooks to hang them from, or know what Im talking about, let alone use them if you do know and have. Rolling Eyes

Mine are unbroken! I hardly ever actually hung the belt on the hooks though, it was easier just to let it flop down into the seat. When I got my retractables, I left the hooks in place just for looks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retractable are safer.

Any other questions?
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd like to refresh my seatbelts. I've never had trouble with old belts but it's better to be safe. It's a bit hard to do though as I need to figure out what is a direct replacement and it needs to have the AS label stitched on to it and the correct markings etc and it also has to be new.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 6'5" fat ass has the belts turned all the way out. Its a snug fit when in. If there is one thing I do like about the og belts, its that I use them to lean forward on while driving. If not Im in the quazi-moto hunch leaning on the wheel Laughing

The belts now are unsafe for me. I dont use them that much because of the constraints and program, twisting and contorting to get them on. So my lazy stupid human nature wins out most the time.

Its coming on major driving season, maybe I should get the retracts and lose some weight Think

Idea

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigSKizzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostorbit wrote:
BigSKizzy wrote:
I put retractables in my 78 and quite honestly, it's my favorite part of my bus that I have changed. Will never own another bus without making the swap. And I got mine for $10 for the pair out of a 95 Eclipse.

Those are seventeen year old belts, don't know that I'd trust them in a crash.

They are also 17 years newer than what I was using before. I have a feeling if I get hit in my bus hard enough to break the 17 year old seat belts, I will have a lot bigger fish to fry than the fact that my belt broke. I feel much safer with these belts and much more comfortable too (which is also a safety concern)
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of both worlds? And period correct original VW.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

Unless you belts are super supple, these wont work and break. But belts with them that arnt all hard work well.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:

Unless you belts are super supple, these wont work and break. But belts with them that arnt all hard work well.

Those are what I use and they work great with my OG belts!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mk2 jetta seatbelts do the job very well, for skinny people...

you can also get a seat belt extensions for the bogger peeps in your rig. i put in a set out of an 85 jetta, and the only thing you have to do is get a L bracket to bolt the retractable piece to so it doesnt lock up (auto-lock belts, have to be perfectly level to unwind) they work great, and it is one less thing i have to worry about. saved my life once already...Wink not to mention the countless "Almosts"

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
So of the pure-runnin the old OG belt crowd. Who has unbroken hooks to hang them from, or know what Im talking about, let alone use them if you do know and have. Rolling Eyes

I got them, but I dont use 'em. Wink

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
Yeah I'd like to refresh my seatbelts. I've never had trouble with old belts but it's better to be safe. It's a bit hard to do though as I need to figure out what is a direct replacement and it needs to have the AS label stitched on to it and the correct markings etc and it also has to be new.

I got a new pair of retractables from The Bus Stop. It was a bit of a fiddle getting the reel sitting right. Meet all your requirements. From what I recall they are a generic aftermarket model.

As with your bus, mine had stock retractables in a 76 kombi. Must have been an Aussie requirement.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have retractable belts from a Vanagon, with home made brackets to mount them to the outside of the seat/floor area. I'll never go back to the fixed style, but the retractor springs in these puts too much tension on the belt. It always keeps just a little too much pressure on my chest and shoulder. I wish I could adjust that somehow.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnskmobi wrote:
RatCamper wrote:

I got a new pair of retractables from The Bus Stop. It was a bit of a fiddle getting the reel sitting right. Meet all your requirements. From what I recall they are a generic aftermarket model.

As with your bus, mine had stock retractables in a 76 kombi. Must have been an Aussie requirement.

That's pretty good. Didn't realise they stocked seat belts. Thanks for the tip!
That does remind me, do you know the correct orientation for the reel bracket? I actually have a funny feeling that i have two from the same side for some reason. Either that or one is just facing the wrong way.
brookmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retractable all the way. I've used both and it's night and day in both comfort and reliability. I bought mine from JBugs in Oceanside, CA and they fit great, look great and I wouldn't change them. My guy and I are average size, but I would say these belts could easily accommodate a plus sizer.

They are also one of my favorite upgrades.

Brook
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: