Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.5 or zetec
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
indytriple wrote:

I also like how the stock WBX mates with my stock auto tranny. The shift points and RPM's feel natural. I don't want the Bostig (or any other conversion) to screw it up too much. I'm afraid it's going to feel bizarre with that 3-speed auto. That's why I'm also strongly considering the tencent engine. At least it's the devil I know.

Hi again, i wouldn't worry about engine plant VS auto transmission... a t all.

Half of my conversion are done with auto and nothing is done to those one at 90%. Having a different power plant or even a 10cent engine change nothing if your are somewhat careful about the power. I have never heard anyone hearting a transmission with a 2.5L Subi. Auto or stick, if the transmission is ready for a rebuilt the stock engine will be enough to end it's lifespan. Bostig as a great kit and we all know it.

Let me clarify. I'm not worried about the durability of the auto tranny. I know that these units are strong. I'm just worried that it play nicely with whatever engine I pick (especially the Zetec), and it will drive like s#$t.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
g_ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta chime in every time i see a thread like this
i regrttfully got the bostig conversion
my pastor asked me last sunday if something was wrong with my engine cause it was hanging down so low
without the oilpan even on it it would be too low
then i got to drive and check out a few subie conversion
night and day
it fits
when i get enough dough and time to do a subie conversion i hope i can find another sucker to buy this zetec/bostig from me
then i will be able to really enjoy my van again
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g_ride wrote:
my pastor asked me last sunday if something was wrong with my engine cause it was hanging down so low
night and day
it fits
when i get enough dough and time to do a subie conversion i hope i can find another sucker to buy this zetec/bostig from me

Sorry to see that almost two years after Bostig public offer to try to resolve the issues, they remain. Good luck in your Subaru conversion, when the time comes.

JMR
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g_ride wrote:
night and day
it fits

wow-to be fair, a fella from cali drove my bostig and he was impressed and thought it had slightly better power than his subie 2.2.
I really think a subie 2.5 is the way to go not hard to do on those jap import sites or carpart.com
the zetec simply hangs too low and mine is as far up as you can possibly go via washers and engine deck lid foam removal
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g_ride wrote:
night and day
it fits

Having been in this biz, I do believe this looks to be your classic nightmare malcontent customer. Never ever happy and more than willing to trash talk for the sheer thrill of it. Pathetic

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly find this whole discussion too funny. I have the original style Bostig v1.0 kit in my '85 Westy. It has been installed since late 2007, and has about 35,000 miles on it so far. All of these miles have been driven with the stock Zetec oil pan. This is the lowest hanging oil pan ever associated with the Bostig conversion.

About a year after my install, Jim and Brady gave me one of the Bostig custom shortened oil pans, but I still haven't installed it because I have never hit the stock pan on anything and prefer having as much oil in the sump as possible. I drive down forestry roads all over the northern new england area and have never put anything more than an insignificant scratch on the pan at any time. I run 195R14 Hankook tires with no suspension mods or lift kit of any type.

I agree that the engine appears to hang a little bit low, but it works just fine in the real world as long as you choose your line and don't drive like a complete idiot into places a 2WD van shouldn't consider going anyway (this observation goes for 2WD vans only. I am sure I could whack the v1.0 pan on a Syncro doing hardcore offroading if I tried hard enough, but I could do that with a Subie conversion or a stock WBX van as well).

It definitely seems like some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining when it comes to the perception of too little ground clearance with the Zetec. This is especially true when you consider that anyone with the Bostig v2.0 (like g_ride for instance) can easily install the high capacity/high clearance oil pan and easily solve all of the perceived ground clearance issues. This is a $360.00 upgrade that will increase ground clearance by 1.9", offers better departure angle, and brings oil capacity up to 6 quarts!! Details are located here http://www.bostig.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=237&Itemid=106

If that simple upgrade doesn't make sense, then by all means, invest your hard earned thousands into a new Subie conversion. I will happily buy your old Zetec kit at a steep discount, since it is clearly not worth much in your eyes.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g_ride wrote:

g_ride, answer that question please:
1-) why did you buy a Bostig?

I think that Bostig give a lot of info, you did know about the oil pan?

Those oil pan stories make me laugh a bit. So many normal car have low oil pan, no one seem to hit them?

Power: If a bostig engine as about the power of a 2.2L Subi... it's GREAT!
I drove 2.2L Subi powered van for a wile and honestly, in most situation the power feel the same as a 2.5L. Don'T think that the 2.5L is a big monster power compare to a 2.2L.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slight dent in my shortened (Outfront Motorsports) EJ22 oil pan, and it sits almost 10" off the ground. Luckily my pan has a 3/16" plate as a bottom surface so no worries.

I don't drive like an idiot either. But I do take my van places that I wouldn't even think of with my cars - that's part of the point of having a camper with a bunch of clearance. We have lots of large rocks here (in the ROCKY mountains Wink )

I went Subaru conversion mainly due to my history with and knowledge of Subaru's, followed closely by the fit of the package (including how low (or not) the engine sits), and then costs (~$3k total for my entire swap)

It is unfortunate when someone is displeased with a major endeavor like an engine conversion, but some people have unrealistic expectations.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
SpeedoJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal driving conditions with High Capacity Oil Pan, you'll be fine.
I currently am not sitting to nicely with my ground clearance. Have the stock oil pan, and have my dirtbike on the rear. Sitting with under 4" of ground clearance with my oil pan. Shocked

This is, however, due to adding 300+ lbs on the rear of my van, so I take full blame of that. Once I get the new oil pan, I plan on doing the cutting board spacers to get me around 6", until I come up with my replacement route of rear suspension.

All this is with the pre-2010 cradle. If you did the conversion now, you would be getting the newer cradle which has 2 inches of extra ground clearance already. Combine that with the HCOP, then throw the skid on there. Yahtzee!! Indestructible underside.
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Speedojosh-you should look at airbags bro-they sit inside your rear stock springs and will compensate for the extra load imo-I went with 2" lift springs, new shocks and 215/75/R15's all the way around and like I said, never hit anything ( although a camper at floyfest claims I caught air Very Happy ) When the economy improves, I'd like to invest in the new cradle and oil pan for sure
The buyers remorse fella has every right to gripe though imo-this is a message board and we should all feel like we can share without fear of labeling.
To be fair, most of the pics on the old bostig site were of brady's conversion and that syncro sits very high off the ground-so it was hard to draw a precise conclusion.
The best ground clearance ( stock like ) certainly seems like the subaru. However, the magna flow muffler seems like the point if contact eh? I wonder how many have damaged their mufflers? or worse?
SpeedoJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the previous owner installed the airlift airbag kit. I think he got the wrong bags though. All the links I see for the vanagon bags have a tall, silo shaped bag. The bags on mine are more of a basketball shape. I might invest in new bags for the time being. Or I might put that money towards taller rear springs, or towards a complete airbag suspension like Presslab, or ...............

It's apparent I need to do something, b/c under 4" is no bueno, but just haven't figured out which is the best way to go.

I already ordered the HCOP, it's sitting in FL, waiting for install. I should be leaving the Fayetteville area in a couple days, moving back to FL, so that will definitely help the clearance, but still need more to feel comfortable with the bike on there.

I also just snagged a pair of CLK wheels on the cheap. Currently have the Rhein wheels with almost brand new tires, but they are more street oriented. I'm looking at throwing some 215/60/16 A/Ts on the CLK wheels. That might help a little as well. Would have to sell the Rheins to fund that endeavor.

NC Dude, did you go with the GoWesty 2+ springs?
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they were manufactured by syncro.org
Aren't the GW lift springs made by the same guy/company for GW?
It gets real confusing , real quick.
The cylindrical type airbag may be the ticket for now-do a search here and you should be able to locate the part number etc.others towing birt bikes/storage boxes on the back have claimed favorable outcome
PS-I forgot to mention, I had 4 adults, 2 teens and full camping equipment and never bottomed out the oil pan at floydfest when I gained air-the 15" wheels and 215/75's do add clearance for sure
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
...Power: If a bostig engine as about the power of a 2.2L Subi... it's GREAT!
I drove 2.2L Subi powered van for a wile and honestly, in most situation the power feel the same as a 2.5L. Don'T think that the 2.5L is a big monster power compare to a 2.2L.

Ben

I LOVE MY SUBARU CONVERSION. BUT.....

The 2.2 is a bit light on the torque for me.

If you stomp on the go pedal it does move, but I can not say it does so with a lot of gusto.

If the power of the Zetec and an EJ22 are about the same, then it is good enough for most people especially those with lighter vans.

My Mutlivan is like a camper in the fact that it is an aerodynamic brick.

Framkenmotor is on the horizon for me when the time comes....

Like others have stated we all know that both of the subject conversions have their plus and minus aspects. You just can not say one is clearly better than the other. It is all compromise.

NOTE ABOUT GROUND CLEARANCE:
I have in my conversion the SC aluminum oil pan. I have the stock Carat springs. With 195/14 tires my oil pan has about 8 inches of clearance. BUT, the Vanaru header sticks down about an inch more on one side (left, Ithink) so you can say I have 7 inches stock. It happens to all be about level with the rest of the drive train and mustache bar, give or take. I have not whacked anything but I have been accused of driving like a grandmother too....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If the power of the Zetec and an EJ22 are about the same, then it is good enough for most people especially those with lighter vans."

I routinely drive off in 2nd gear from a dead-stop-no problems and no lurching
I do have a stage 1 clutch though-perhaps that helps a wee bit
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indytriple:

Quote:
Let me clarify. I'm not worried about the durability of the auto tranny. I know that these units are strong. I'm just worried that it play nicely with whatever engine I pick (especially the Zetec), and it will drive like s#$t.

The auto will work just fine with any conversion. As I mentioned in an earlier post, you may however want to modify the governor. This is simple: http://my.tbaytel.net/guskers/trans.htm ) and makes a big difference in driveability around town. Doing it again, would take off a tad less weight so tromping the throttle at 60mph would not not result in a downshift. This works but still scares the crap out of my wife. ha.

I also just pulled the tranny cooler and replaced it with this: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1717_1011/automatic_transmission_cooler.html to prevent future failures due to coolant mixing...apparently much more common on higher mileage rides.

Otherwise the transmission is know to be very reliable...mine's been fine for the last eight years and it's often seeing 6000 rpm. For travel it's almost always with gear on top, a full load and small trailer.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: engine choice Reply with quote

I seldom post here or any where, just a reader.

i recently went through the engine swap needs,wants and concerns, to jump ahead I have a syncro and clearence below/ground clearence is the big factor- I chose an old fashioned Iron block inline 4 vw.
For: they are every where and cheap, CL and wreckers.
*One head, early ones non-interference. Loose a belt not the valves
*huge tuner market "cheap performance"
* ABA 2.0 block lots of torque and OBD1 gen has forged internals
lots more but they become biast.....VW's are like legos mix and match different generations for better performance.
When you start to pencil it out this conversion; its affordable and the van accepts it with lil' work alot cheaper.

other wise I would go with the early 2.2T subie or the 2.5 or 2.5T but in the end it boils down to the money and simplicity. I have bruised knuckles and greasy tools and little to no money.
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i4 at 50'degrees and diesel oil pan is definitely the best in terms of ground clearance with no lid mods. I believe it's even better than the stock WBX. Yes the AbA block is iron, and has forged bits, piston oil squirters and is good for 145 reliable HP with just a cam and properly designed exhaust. We're about eight years in with perfect reliability. The tranny pan and exhaust are lower than the engine oil pan.
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went on the camping trip with my two boys. lots of hills. Ztec performed great this time. I wish it was more consistent. I don't understand why some days it runs like a bear, and other days it seems boggy.

Waking up to 20deg temps was a first for me. burrrr.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero419 wrote:
went on the camping trip with my two boys. lots of hills. Ztec performed great this time. I wish it was more consistent. I don't understand why some days it runs like a bear, and other days it seems boggy.

Waking up to 20deg temps was a first for me. burrrr.

That problem could either be O2 sensor, temperatur sensor, or perhaps even a clogged air filter (I just cleaned out mine and the responsiveness of the van improved dramatically). Have you tried to obtain the logs from the ECU and send them to Bostig? Thay can usually help you pinpoint a problem right away with those logs.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Unfortunately no one has ever put a different engine in a vanagon.
If they had, you'd be able to run a search on this very site and get tons of information I'll bet. :roll:

levi leads a sheltered life
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: