Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.5 or zetec
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_last1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 or zetec or.....???? Reply with quote

So I finally have my syncro doka registered in California, and couldn't come at a better time. I am in need of a Engine. Currently its equipped with a tired 1.6 turbo diesel. I have seen all the threads in regards to the positives and negatives, and diesel, ford, vw, etc. What i am hoping to accomplish is a solid conversion or upgrade under 10k. I am willing to stick with diesel, or convert to gas...no preference. I have thought of just getting a giles pump and the 1.6 refreshed, but have had a hard time finding a person interested in doing this job with out charging an arm and a leg. Since its a Doka, i have plenty of room to install most conversions without an issue. Bonus, its also A registered diesel! Wink
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I love to 1.8t but i'm not confident enough to do that on my own and the cost is way more than i can afford.

1. under 10k
2. already registered, so any engine is a go
3. would like to cruise at 70 comfortably
4. Live in the s.f. bay area if your up to showing me what you are using!!

thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deedee22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 or zetec Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
Deedee22 wrote:

When looking for an engine, my mechanic said we need a 06-07 non turbo Impreza engine, but after many many many hours of reading on here and other places, I haven't seen anything about the 06-07 engines being the best fit. Could someone shed some light on that?

Yea me.... ha ha ha ha

Check my sig, I have passed 107 Subi engine conversion Wink

Ans also love Jim (Bostig) work. Bad ass stuff he is doing.

Start your own conversion thread! I will chip in when you have problem. Learn to post picture online

Ben

Hey Thanks Ben! Yeah the van is with my mechanic right now. 107!!! That's a lot of conversions man! I just perused through a bunch of them. Impressive stuff. My mechanic is good, but he's never done this before so I'm kind of crossing my fingers about it.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 or zetec Reply with quote

Deedee22 wrote:

When looking for an engine, my mechanic said we need a 06-07 non turbo Impreza engine, but after many many many hours of reading on here and other places, I haven't seen anything about the 06-07 engines being the best fit. Could someone shed some light on that?

Yea me.... ha ha ha ha

Check my sig, I have passed 107 Subi engine conversion Wink

Ans also love Jim (Bostig) work. Bad ass stuff he is doing.

Start your own conversion thread! I will chip in when you have problem. Learn to post picture online!

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 or zetec Reply with quote

Re-reading this reminds me of a time when I attempted to reason with people, whom I've later come to realize aren't worth the effort, 'cause they have a vested interest in skewing community perceptions.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Deedee22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 or zetec Reply with quote

I really like the color of this van! I just bought a beige 87 GL and I love it so bad I want to tear it to bits sometimes, but I love the nice gold color. One day when I paint it I might do that, or a gold black two tone or something.

So this post is 3 years old now! I'm currently in the process of putting a 07 Imprezza with 59k miles into my Vanagon. My good buddy is a mechanic and he's quite good and giving me a good deal but he's never worked on a vanagon before so I'm a bit nervous. I myself haven't done much work on any car because I don't have the tools. And even if I did have the tools I still don't think I could fix much...

Also, do you think I need to change out the brakes once I'm done? Also, words can't describe how in love I am with my vanagon after only 3 camping trips this summer. Davey just picked up a new personal project and I feel like quitting life to persue everything vanagon. haha.
reiszme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. Here's some pics from the install.

Ready to install:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In place:

A happy camper:
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reiszme wrote:
Thanks for the welcome. I'll post some pics of the conversion at some point in the future. I don't have any web hosted pictures at this point.

It's better to load the photos directly to The Samba gallery. This way they will always be with your post instead of eventually turning into blank spaces!
Looking forward to your contributions. Cool

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reiszme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I'll post some pics of the conversion at some point in the future. I don't have any web hosted pictures at this point.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi reiszme,

Welcome to the herd.

Post some pictures some time.....

Keep having fun!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
reiszme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:

FWIW, if you are really thinking about selling, I'd suggest not putting a ton of money into it for sentimental reasons because you are definitely not going to see an appreciable return on the investment.

Thanks for the suggestion and that is solid advice. The van isn't a showpiece, but it's a few things away from being a really solid camper. I am just planning on doing things that I would want done to it. I like tinkering with things anyway, so it will be fun and hopefully make it more fun to use.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry for you family loss.

FWIW, if you are really thinking about selling, I'd suggest not putting a ton of money into it for sentimental reasons because you are definitely not going to see an appreciable return on the investment.
Probably best to do your mods, then keep & enjoy it and think of your father every time you go on a family outing.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
reiszme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the condolences. We are not really sure long term, but we don't have any immediate plans to sell it. I am going to go ahead and do some work on it, things I wish we would have done for him years ago (like 16" wheels and various odds and ends). Some friends took their two girls out camping in it last weekend. One of the girls hung her head down from loft as they were going to sleep and said "Best vacation ever!" It would have made Dad's day to hear such a review.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reiszme wrote:
My Dad brought his Westy to my house to do a Bostig conversion a few years back and I figured I would share my thoughts. The conversion was very straightforward. If I remember correctly, we had to jump a few hurdles to get the AC lines connected, but all in all, I thought the kit is very well thought out. We had a few questions along the way, and the guys at Bostig were always helpful. Since it's a small production operation, I suspect things change fairly quickly, and I suspect the conversion kits are even better and easier today.

I think Dad's biggest factor for the engine swap was the implied reliability with a new modern engine. As far as how it drove before and after, it's a big difference. It's still not a sports car, but it does accelerate going up hills and the performance is quite agreeable. At the time we did the conversion, we discussed the turbo. After doing the conversion, I don't think it's needed for my tastes. A turbo might bring lots of "wows", but the van does just fine for normal use without it. If I was going to spend much time in the Rockies, I think it would be a very nice addition.

My dad passed away this year, and I just drove it back here (about 900 miles). It's still doing great. The camper makes me grin whenever I drive it. I would have still still grinned without the conversion, but the grin is a bit bigger as a result.

What a great review! Sorry about your Dad. Will the Volkswagen stay in the family? I bet your Dad would be thrilled, if it did!
reiszme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad brought his Westy to my house to do a Bostig conversion a few years back and I figured I would share my thoughts. The conversion was very straightforward. If I remember correctly, we had to jump a few hurdles to get the AC lines connected, but all in all, I thought the kit is very well thought out. We had a few questions along the way, and the guys at Bostig were always helpful. Since it's a small production operation, I suspect things change fairly quickly, and I suspect the conversion kits are even better and easier today.

I think Dad's biggest factor for the engine swap was the implied reliability with a new modern engine. As far as how it drove before and after, it's a big difference. It's still not a sports car, but it does accelerate going up hills and the performance is quite agreeable. At the time we did the conversion, we discussed the turbo. After doing the conversion, I don't think it's needed for my tastes. A turbo might bring lots of "wows", but the van does just fine for normal use without it. If I was going to spend much time in the Rockies, I think it would be a very nice addition.

My dad passed away this year, and I just drove it back here (about 900 miles). It's still doing great. The camper makes me grin whenever I drive it. I would have still still grinned without the conversion, but the grin is a bit bigger as a result.
SpeedoJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd bump this back up since I just did some cruising in the Westy.

This is now the second and third 10+ hour trip I've done in the Westy with the bostig, and not a problem or hiccup along out of it.

Drove from NC down to Savannah, Ga. Took back highways the whole time. Plenty of power zipping around the turns and through traffic.

Then about two weeks later I went from Savannah to FL. Took highways and then hit some interstate to make my destination before too late and it rode like a cadillac. Cruised with ease at 70, fully loaded, windows down, and a motorcycle strapped on the back.

Now daily driving around Florida, and it is cruising great. Plenty of power to deal with day to day city driving.

Applause Applause To the guys over at Bostig
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Turbo Reply with quote

Lots of good discussion here. Regarding the power/torque of the zetec - I would agree that the NA zetec is on par with the subaru 2.2. The great thing about the zetec, in my opinion, is the option to add more (substantially more) with the turbo kit.

I continue to be impressed with the driveability of the turbo'd zetec.

And FWIW, my ground clearance is right around 8" with stock-size tires.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Unfortunately no one has ever put a different engine in a vanagon.
If they had, you'd be able to run a search on this very site and get tons of information I'll bet. :roll:

levi leads a sheltered life
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero419 wrote:
went on the camping trip with my two boys. lots of hills. Ztec performed great this time. I wish it was more consistent. I don't understand why some days it runs like a bear, and other days it seems boggy.

Waking up to 20deg temps was a first for me. burrrr.

That problem could either be O2 sensor, temperatur sensor, or perhaps even a clogged air filter (I just cleaned out mine and the responsiveness of the van improved dramatically). Have you tried to obtain the logs from the ECU and send them to Bostig? Thay can usually help you pinpoint a problem right away with those logs.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went on the camping trip with my two boys. lots of hills. Ztec performed great this time. I wish it was more consistent. I don't understand why some days it runs like a bear, and other days it seems boggy.

Waking up to 20deg temps was a first for me. burrrr.
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i4 at 50'degrees and diesel oil pan is definitely the best in terms of ground clearance with no lid mods. I believe it's even better than the stock WBX. Yes the AbA block is iron, and has forged bits, piston oil squirters and is good for 145 reliable HP with just a cam and properly designed exhaust. We're about eight years in with perfect reliability. The tranny pan and exhaust are lower than the engine oil pan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: