Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SyncroZest, Moab, UT~ May 24-27, 2012
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: SyncroZest, Moab, UT~ May 24-27, 2012 Reply with quote

Since I am unable to attend my favorite event of the year this year, Syncro Solstice, SyncroZest, Moab has been born.
Very informal outing of vellow Vanagon Syncro owners and their friends and family. Hoping for a small enough group so we can take advantage of the nearly unlimited free camping in the area. Details and information will be posted as we figure out the details and information Laughing .

It is awesome to have so much information for such a vast and incredible wonderland. I was a part of the last years event and it was totally awesome. This in no way is to detract from Syncro Solstice 2012. It is just when I can make it to Moab, and I want to play too Wink

Join us!

I also have created a Fakebook Event, but have heard from more than a few that they do not Fakebook.

So far, here is who is coming:
carterzest, Jeffrey + 1(syncro) + Guitar
Dave Vickery(2wd Peloquin TBD, Syncro Trans yet?)
Rich, lovemywesty(2wd Weekender with BFG's and 15-16" wheels)
Hans Jorgensen(syncro)
Miguel Pacheco(syncro)
Steve Stewart(syncro)
John Butler(my friend from AZ coming to play with his very capable Montero)
Jeff Lyons, Itsasyncro
vwlovr(will already be in Moab)
Syncronicity(Colorado)
Jon Sirney(Toyota Tacoma-work friend from Loveland CO)

Maybe:
Keith Kiernicki(all the way from Michigan)
0to60in6min(So. Cal)
rubbachicken's(possibly making the original Syncro Solstice and SyncroZest?)

To make it easy, we have chosen the original campsite that Syncro Solstice 2011 was going to use. I will add the information later but it is on the Fakebook Event. We are also open to suggestions. Benefits aplenty with a smaller group.
I have only been to Moab one time and that was for the first Syncro Solstice. I am relying on those who have been more than I to guide the group. I have a pretty stock 1986 Syncro Westfalia, 15" tires with BFG AT/KO's, rear locker, Kitchen and camping stuff removed. This is my first time to Moab in a Syncro and my goal is simple, I want to have fun and drive back to Oregon in my van. That being said, I am not against parking and riding along if it gets to hairy. I want to test and improve my skills and learn some new things.

If you cannot make Solstice 2012, try to come play with us.

Last edited by carterzest on Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be in Moab then, unfortunately, I'm only trailering my motorcycle with my buddies "Yellow" Xterra this year. I will try and drop by for a visit if that is ok.

Next year I would like to take my Syncro.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll drop in for sure! i will be in Moab from syncrosoltice till end of june.

i probably won't camp with you guys since i'll have a visitor but i will definitely come meet up for some trail rides. know where you're camping yet? i thought i heard talks of the camp right above the pucker pass.

@Homercules when will you be in town? i'll be riding motos in moab as well, any idea where you guys are staying? if you don't have street legal motos the best place to stay is Archview Camground you can get to tons of trails from the campsite there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Homercules
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
i'll drop in for sure! i will be in Moab from syncrosoltice till end of june.

i probably won't camp with you guys since i'll have a visitor but i will definitely come meet up for some trail rides. know where you're camping yet? i thought i heard talks of the camp right above the pucker pass.

I think that is it. The original Syncro Solstice 2011 spot.
Borrowed from last years thread:
Quote:
Here is where I'm thinking for our base camp folks.
We have chosen an amazing base camp just west of Moab enroute to Dead Horse Point and Island in the Sky in an area called "Big Flat" which borders Pucker Pass/Long Canyon on Long Canyon Road.

Directions
From any direction, you are making your way towards U.S. Route 191 in Utah...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/US_191.svg/88px-US_191.svg.png
then to the State Route 313 (SR-313) - Dead Horse Point Mesa Scenic Byway.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Utah_SR_313.svg/70px-Utah_SR_313.svg.png
SR 313 is an access road for both the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park. The highway is a toll road in Dead Horse Point State Park. Westbound traffic is charged a state park entrance fee at the park boundary which is beyond our base camp. You will find the the northern entrance of Utah Highway SR 313 (Dead Horse Mesa) Scenic Byway at mile marker 136.8 on US 191, 11 miles north of downtown Moab, Utah or 20 miles south of Exit 180 on I-70 at Crescent Junction.

Coming from the south, south-west or south-east:
You will access U.S. Route 191 via the Navajo Nation in South East Utah via the 160 & 163 from the South or South-west). Take come time to enjoy this area. A sunrise in mittens in unforgettable. For those coming from the south east, you will likely pick up the 191 or the 491.

Coming from the east, west or north
You are just carving your way toward exit 180 to Crescent Junction & Moab on I-70 in Utah.
Base Camp: Bag Flat/Pucker Pass
About 16.5 miles up the SR 313, you will notice "Long Canyon Road" veering off the the left. Long Canyon Road is a well-groomed dirt/gravel road traveling about 3 miles to the base camp. Base camp is perched atop Pucker Pass, overlooking long canyon, the La Sal Mountains and the Moab Valley.
http://www.ridedealsgap.com/utah/091503/moab_map1.gif

Site: We have some exposed camping upon the slickrock overlooking the canyon, and some less exposed sand spots. Both offer even terrain where campfires are allowable. This area has no improvements such as tables, shade, shelters or crappers. These are all things we will bring in with us, and things we will take away.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/769124.jpg

A close-up of our camp spot, the area just above the S-turn (Long Canyon Road then drops into Long Canyon and exits along 279 to Potash/Moab.
http://tinyurl.com/4ne4h3f
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/us_191.svg/88px-us_191.svg.png then
upload.wikimedia.org

It seems easy enough for everyone to get to and a pretty great launching point for a bunch of epic adventures. The higher elevation will be nice as well as it is getting warmer by then.

Homercules, definitely stop by and say hi.
Some of my last years video's

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

short one. Sorry, you can still hear me speak. Hope it is not offensive to anyone.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Right before Dave Vickery gets stuck...not really his fault....

Link

After we passed Vickery before turning around to yank him out of the sand.

Link

Link

The poopy diaper. Yes there were babies on this trip I must say, it was very nice to drop the kids at the Grandparents along the way, though, I would bring them to this event in the future.

Link

Vickery and Tencentlife climbing the sand hill.

Link

More Vickery's LSD in action

Link

Eating Vickery's dust after a bit of a push to keep it on the trail!!!

Link

Tuscher tunnel cutoff

Link

More Vickery the madman

Link

Link

Classy going up it in 2wd

Link

Can't believe tencent let me drive his prized posession.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Our ride to the top of Islands in the Sky with our new friends, Matt, Katie and Amelia, Msewalson. Cutest baby in the world sitting right to my left.

Link

carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to throw this out there.
There is a group site available Cool
Not sure if it is a good spot in relation to where we intend to travel.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/group_campgrounds/kenslake.html

Quote:
Fees: The group camping fee is $2.50 per person per night, plus a $15.00 reservation fee. You must pay for the minimum group size of 8 people at Sites A and B and 15 people at Site C. There will be a $15.00 fee each time you change the place or date of your reservation. Additional people may be added to your group without incurring this charge. All fees are nonrefundable.
For more information or for reservations, please call the Moab Field Office at (435) 259-2102.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ut/moab...kens-a.pdf

Any of you more local folks have anything to say?
With @ 10 vehicles, it would be @ $40.00 per night. We would want to reserve pretty quickly.

The site has conflicting information though....
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds/ken_s_lake.html
This link shows:
Quote:
Ken's Lake is located 10 miles south of Moab. To get to Ken’s Lake, drive seven miles south of Moab on U.S. Highway 191. Turn left (east) and follow the signs approximately three miles to the lake.

Fee: $12.00 per site

Number of sites: 31

Toilets: Yes

Jeffrey
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of out of the way if you mostly wanted to spend time in the area where SS was last year. We did drive out to Ken's Lake on the 2wd tour over the Lasal Mt Loop last year, I didn't find it to be exactly a beautiful area, mostly a place for fishing on a reservoir.

There are a lot of of other places to explore from Ken's Lake in the area south of Moab but you will have to do some research. I mean Syncros on Elephant Hill could be interesting (or not). I don't know how technical the routes would be, but there is definitely no shortage of nice country in that area.

Wherever we camp, it is Memorial Day Weekend so reservations are a good idea. Is is possible to reserve the campground where we were trying to camp at SS last year? If not, it will probably be taken.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
It's kind of out of the way if you mostly wanted to spend time in the area where SS was last year. We did drive out to Ken's Lake on the 2wd tour over the Lasal Mt Loop last year, I didn't find it to be exactly a beautiful area, mostly a place for fishing on a reservoir.

There are a lot of of other places to explore from Ken's Lake in the area south of Moab but you will have to do some research. I mean Syncros on Elephant Hill could be interesting (or not). I don't know how technical the routes would be, but there is definitely no shortage of nice country in that area.

Wherever we camp, it is Memorial Day Weekend so reservations are a good idea. Is is possible to reserve the campground where we were trying to camp at SS last year? If not, it will probably be taken.
Ken's Lake is the only one with availability. Other good ones have been booked for months. I'm fine on our original campsite, but, this does have toilets(that's about all though).
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've camped with 6 or so vans at the original campsite. It's nice, the vans will need to be spaced out a bit is all. There is plenty of space for a community fire pit but not one area large enough for 10 vans right next to each other, I don't think.

We just need to have 1 makeshift toilet setup when Mr Ranger comes by. That and some garbage bags so everyone can pack out their waste is all that you need. Tucked into a private spot somewhere. I keep those single serving bags in my van, but I guess they don't trust people to use them so now they expect to see at least one potty setup.

http://www.basspro.com/Texsport-Portable-Folding-T...googlebase

If everyone is together you have the option of exploring and finding a different camp the next night which is part of the adventure. But whatever you want to do is fine by me. I found another dispersed spot near the Soltice group camp that would be great too. It overlooks the canyon and is about 2 minutes before the turn off to that group site. Lots of places that start out as easy jeeping roads have dispersed camping too. There is a Mountain bike trail off one of the main roads that is all in sand (which keeps a lot of the traffic out) and it has dispersed camping. I camped in Bull Canyon near Goonie Bird rock once (on the way to Gemini Bridges) and that is a neat canyon. It may get taken, but probably not since late May is getting pretty warm. Slickrock Bike Trail Park is a nice campground and usually has spaces. We camped at Chicken Corners once and that area is big, you could easily fit 10 vans in there no matter how many other groups were already there.

I prefer the primitive dispersed sites but it doesn't matter much to me.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would non syncro owners be welcome, are there 2wd accessible areas

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
would non syncro owners be welcome, are there 2wd accessible areas

Mr. & Mrs. Rubbachicken, it would be an honor. If we are doing some heavy Syncro trails, we will likely leave your van at the campsite to mark our spot. Much of the terrain is very doable in a 2wd.....Dave Vickery has a tricked out 2wd with a peloquin TBD rear diff and, I believe, a syncro transmission that may or may not already be installed. He is a madman(watch some of his video from last year above).
Ride-a-longs encouraged and you are more than welcome to drive my Syncro as well. As Tencentlife said to me last year, "the co-pilot gets to fly the plane as well"
Rich, Love my Westy, also has a 2wd weekender with BFG's and bigger wheels and such. Very capable, but, he will not do everything a Syncro will. He is the One Owner of his 86 Weekender Westfalia and there is a reason his van is still in such stellar shape Cool

davevickery wrote:
I've camped with 6 or so vans at the original campsite. It's nice, the vans will need to be spaced out a bit is all. There is plenty of space for a community fire pit but not one area large enough for 10 vans right next to each other, I don't think.

We just need to have 1 makeshift toilet setup when Mr Ranger comes by. That and some garbage bags so everyone can pack out their waste is all that you need. Tucked into a private spot somewhere. I keep those single serving bags in my van, but I guess they don't trust people to use them so now they expect to see at least one potty setup.

http://www.basspro.com/Texsport-Portable-Folding-T...googlebase

If everyone is together you have the option of exploring and finding a different camp the next night which is part of the adventure. But whatever you want to do is fine by me. I found another dispersed spot near the Soltice group camp that would be great too. It overlooks the canyon and is about 2 minutes before the turn off to that group site. Lots of places that start out as easy jeeping roads have dispersed camping too. There is a Mountain bike trail off one of the main roads that is all in sand (which keeps a lot of the traffic out) and it has dispersed camping. I camped in Bull Canyon near Goonie Bird rock once (on the way to Gemini Bridges) and that is a neat canyon. It may get taken, but probably not since late May is getting pretty warm. Slickrock Bike Trail Park is a nice campground and usually has spaces. We camped at Chicken Corners once and that area is big, you could easily fit 10 vans in there no matter how many other groups were already there.

I prefer the primitive dispersed sites but it doesn't matter much to me.

Awesome post Dave, and, I totally agree. Dispersed is it. I saw that stealth spot on googlemaps the other day. Close to rest area bathrooms as well as Lone Mesa in/for a pinch Laughing
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.643389,-109.768782&num=1&t=h&z=15
This site or the rest area/overlook right before it, may be a great place to meet up. We can check if the site is occupied and go from there. I am all for trying different places, but, just as with Solstice, it is nice to have a home base to offload some of the journeys cargo rather than packing up everyday. I have few expectations other than seeing some new territory this year, having fun, and being able to drive my van home without assist.
Thanks for your input. Lets continue with the WING IT attitude.
This is going to be a blast. Just to have Dave Vickery in our group is dangerous Laughing He will outdrive me I am pretty sure.

Here is another one just past that one
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.644956,-109.77161...8&z=17

and just for context for those who have not been there before, here is Lone Mesa Group Camp so you can get some orientation.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.63588,-109.805045...8&z=15
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH WOW the RC's are going to meet up with some of the wild west.!KEWL Hey Carterzest what's with the private videos????? Didn't bother me last year so it shouldn't bother me this year Wink Have fun and show the RC's a really good time, their trip has been fairly tame so far Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
OH WOW the RC's are going to meet up with some of the wild west.!KEWL Hey Carterzest what's with the private videos????? Didn't bother me last year so it shouldn't bother me this year Wink Have fun and show the RC's a really good time, their trip has been fairly tame so far Exclamation
Hey Zelda. I had marked the really short ones as private in hopes of going and editing them into a larger single video, but, realized that I had deleted the videos when I transferred them to youtube. I just re-marked all of them unlisted, so, some may be really short.

I feel the same about the RC's, what an awesome surprise Cool

Damn, this one was even marked private. Embarassed

Link

GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Zesty,

Wish I could join you but we'll be heading though Moab the first week in June on our way to telluride. Can't really afford another grand in gas to do it twice. Looking forward to spending some time in that part of the country.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
This site or the rest area/overlook right before it, may be a great place to meet up. We can check if the site is occupied and go from there.

Once you know who and when people are planning to show up you can figure out logistics. I won't get there until around dinner time from Colorado. If people come in later, it makes it hard to meet anywhere besides where you plan to camp. It shouldn't be a problem getting a location as long as someone shows up early. That original site is pretty hard to beat.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi carterzest,

depending on how the work on my vanagon progress, I may be able to attend.

Never been to Moab.. will be a long drive, at least 10 hours...

will let you know...
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
hi carterzest,

depending on how the work on my vanagon progress, I may be able to attend.

Never been to Moab.. will be a long drive, at least 10 hours...

will let you know...
Awesome. I am engulfed in van projects as well. Going to have some power steering lines fabbed up next week in my final attempt to just disconnect the belt and armstrong it Cool
My drive is @ 1,022 mi, 17 hours 35 mins Evil or Very Mad
Once you get there, you will not be sorry you made the trip. Just wish I could make the main event again, but, this will surely be a blast. Much smaller and less organized, but, lots of places to see.

Quote:
Updated the first post in this thread with the most up to date info I have gathered on who is coming.

Also, sent a PM to Walt 4-26 to add this event to the GTG sticky but it has not yet been read(still in my outbox).

Some great directions from last years Solstice thread-This was going to be the original campsite, but instead, we ended up camping at Lone Mesa Group Site.
Classicvibe wrote:

We have chosen an amazing base camp just west of Moab enroute to Dead Horse Point and Island in the Sky in an area called "Big Flat" which borders Pucker Pass/Long Canyon on Long Canyon Road.

Directions:
    From any direction, you are making your way towards U.S. Route 191 in Utah...
    Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

then to the State Route 313 (SR-313) - Dead Horse Point Mesa Scenic Byway.

SR 313 is an access road for both the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park. The highway is a toll road in Dead Horse Point State Park. Westbound traffic is charged a state park entrance fee at the park boundary which is beyond our base camp. You will find the the northern entrance of Utah Highway SR 313 (Dead Horse Mesa) Scenic Byway at mile marker 136.8 on US 191, 11 miles north of downtown Moab, Utah or 20 miles south of Exit 180 on I-70 at Crescent Junction.

Coming from the south, south-west or south-east:
    You will access U.S. Route 191 via the Navajo Nation in South East Utah via the 160 & 163 from the South or South-west). Take come time to enjoy this area. A sunrise in mittens in unforgettable. For those coming from the south east, you will likely pick up the 191 or the 491.

Coming from the east, west or north
    You are just carving your way toward exit 180 to Crescent Junction & Moab on I-70 in Utah.

Base Camp: Bag Flat/Pucker Pass
    About 16.5 miles up the SR 313, you will notice "Long Canyon Road" veering off the the left. Long Canyon Road is a well-groomed dirt/gravel road traveling about 3 miles to the base camp. Base camp is perched atop Pucker Pass, overlooking long canyon, the La Sal Mountains and the Moab Valley.

Site: We have some exposed camping upon the slickrock overlooking the canyon, and some less exposed sand spots. Both offer even terrain where campfires are allowable. This area has no improvements such as tables, shade, shelters or crappers. These are all things we will bring in with us, and things we will take away.

A note on crappers...Bring your own Shocked
    A close-up of our camp spot, the area just above the S-turn (Long Canyon Road then drops into Long Canyon and exits along 279 to Potash/Moab.
    http://tinyurl.com/4ne4h3f

[i]A note on access...
    The drive to base camp is about 40 minutes from town via SR 313. It may be possible to get to town via Long Canyon Road (down), but the trip back up is likely too dangerous due to flooding erosion over the last few years. We will verify as we get closer to the arrival date.

Looking down Long Canyon from a site just down from Pucker Pass, below the eroded area.

carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!

BUMP

Still looking for a Co-Pilot for my MOAB trip, leaving on the 23rd.....anyone want to come play?

Well, my co-pilot for SyncroZest, Moab, UT~ May 24-27, 2012 is 100% out. He cannot get the coverage he needs. I am opening up a co-pilot spot with certain conditions Very Happy I gotta like you Laughing
It is a long trip and it would be nice to have a co-adventurer along with.
Limited time offer/Certain restrictions apply/Void where prohibited

I will be departing Portland on the morning of the 23rd, and coming back by the 28th, but, with the right co-pilot, I may be encouraged to take my time on the way home Cool Anyone local, or along the way want to come?
Pendleton/Boise???
I will go it alone, no problem, just thought I would offer up an opportunity to a PDX-er.
Please reply by PM if interested

@ 10 vans so far with a couple alternative 4x4 vehicles tagging along.
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of my girlfriend's girlfriends....or maybe that would be a problem for you since you're married. Hope not. I'm serious. She has plenty of friends who are wanting to visit and are looking for opportunities like this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mundopacheco wrote:
Maybe one of my girlfriend's girlfriends....or maybe that would be a problem for you since you're married. Hope not. I'm serious. She has plenty of friends who are wanting to visit and are looking for opportunities like this one.

I have a local who may well be up for the journey Miguel.

I met him at The BUS MOVIE, so, he has to be cool.

Not afraid of any of them womerns, in fact, I attended Buses by the Bridge with our very own Kamzcab on the Samba, Shocked , and, I love introducing people to the wonder. Wether it be the wonder of Syncro's or the wonder of Moab....well, it is a toss up to me.

You get everything back together? Still shooting for Friday arrival at Solstice proper Surprised

This working during Solstice SUCKS. Just sayin'(and the cell reception up there).....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: