Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Montehms 67 Prairie Square
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Glad to see you've found your smaller problems. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and go over things. Very Happy

When we went to set my son's carbs, we found the left throttle shaft bore was egged out, which made fine tuning a little difficult, but we pushed thru it. I've got another set of Webers sitting here that we'll probably use on it next year, as he's got a bunch of other little projects to finish up on while the weather is still decent.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

How are the new generator brushes going ??????
has the sparking settled down now they have had some time to "bed in".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Glad to see you've found your smaller problems. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and go over things. Very Happy

When we went to set my son's carbs, we found the left throttle shaft bore was egged out, which made fine tuning a little difficult, but we pushed thru it. I've got another set of Webers sitting here that we'll probably use on it next year, as he's got a bunch of other little projects to finish up on while the weather is still decent.

Thanks Bob, always learning something with this car. I've thought about replacing the carbs for Webers but after looking at the air cleaner in place, I change my mind as I really like the look of it in there. I've even thought of taking one and modifying it to fit with a set of Webers but it would probably hinder fitting and performance so I dropped that idea. I still have little tweaks to do but overall I'm very please with its performance. I may go back fiddle with the air adjustment screw some but for now, I'm content. Too much OCD (Out of Control Dude)!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Peters Van wrote:
How are the new generator brushes going ??????
has the sparking settled down now they have had some time to "bed in".

Yes they have. I didn't think about them needing a 'bed in' period but thanks for the info on them as I was a bit concerned.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Thanks Bob, always learning something with this car. I've thought about replacing the carbs for Webers but after looking at the air cleaner in place, I change my mind as I really like the look of it in there. I've even thought of taking one and modifying it to fit with a set of Webers but it would probably hinder fitting and performance so I dropped that idea. I still have little tweaks to do but overall I'm very please with its performance. I may go back fiddle with the air adjustment screw some but for now, I'm content. Too much OCD (Out of Control Dude)!

Once you get them dialed in, you shouldn't have to touch them again. Well at least until you re-jet them and change the venturies when you install them on the new bigger engine. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

After a few days of chasings ground issue to my radio I decided to disconnect it and work a different solution to the wiring. A friend got a hold of me and asked if I was going to go to Devils Tower for a show. I wasn't planning on it but I've wanted to go and get a few pics, so I packed things up and got ready for the next days road trip. Well into the trip I began to hear some clattering in the engine bay and my tach needle is all over the place. Luckily we just got into a small town , my buddy had planned stopping there anyway and washing his car. So I pull over, pop the lid and look around to see my choke dangling from the wire. Now where am I going to find M5 screws in a small town in WY? Look up the road an see a NAPA so off I go. Found some hex head screws...good enough for now. Problem, head won't screw in as the corners it hit the choke so I disconnect the wiring ensuring the carb flap is fully open on the carb and finger tighten the hex-head best I can. We're off again and make it to the KOA campground where the show was being held. Every show I've been going to is loaded with Muscle but the lone VW import held it's own and had folks looking it over and just talking about it, even while having lunch in the cafe. Had a great time overall. The chokes didn't bother me the rest of the way home. Pulled some screws from my stash and have them back on. Not running them at the moment. Few pics of the Tower...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On 2 Sep, the KOA where the show was held is showing Close Encounter of the Third Kind on a large outdoor screen for the 50th anniversary of the movie. They are coming... The solar eclipse is just the mother-ship getting in getting into position. Laughing HAHAHAHAAHAA
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
After a few days of chasings ground issue to my radio I decided to disconnect it and work a different solution to the wiring. A friend got a hold of me and asked if I was going to go to Devils Tower for a show. I wasn't planning on it but I've wanted to go and get a few pics, so I packed things up and got ready for the next days road trip. Well into the trip I began to hear some clattering in the engine bay and my tach needle is all over the place. Luckily we just got into a small town , my buddy had planned stopping there anyway and washing his car. So I pull over, pop the lid and look around to see my choke dangling from the wire. Now where am I going to find M5 screws in a small town in WY? Look up the road an see a NAPA so off I go. Found some hex head screws...good enough for now. Problem, head won't screw in as the corners it hit the choke so I disconnect the wiring ensuring the carb flap is fully open on the carb and finger tighten the hex-head best I can. We're off again and make it to the KOA campground where the show was being held. Every show I've been going to is loaded with Muscle but the lone VW import held it's own and had folks looking it over and just talking about it, even while having lunch in the cafe. Had a great time overall. The chokes didn't bother me the rest of the way home. Pulled some screws from my stash and have them back on. Not running them at the moment. Few pics of the Tower...

On 2 Sep, the KOA where the show was held is showing Close Encounter of the Third Kind on a large outdoor screen for the 50th anniversary of the movie. They are coming... The solar eclipse is just the mother-ship getting in getting into position. Laughing HAHAHAHAAHAA

The car and trailer combo looks great. Some of your shots could even be post card material. It's a shame Gizmo isn't doing calendars any more, as he'd have a hard time picking out the best one to use. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

The car and trailer combo looks great. Some of your shots could even be post card material. It's a shame Gizmo isn't doing calendars any more, as he'd have a hard time picking out the best one to use. Cool

Thanks for the compliment Bobnotch, Been thinking of doing something like with my car for own personal use. Shutterfly is your friend! Also, I made a mistake on the anniversary, it'll be the 40th!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Car is looking great! Amazing work!
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

Ever since I bought a vw I have not been able to keep my fingernails clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

tweakhx wrote:
Car is looking great! Amazing work!

Thanks man. That assembly work for you?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Found this yesterday while placing the new case and heads on the ground for my motor build. Think it happened the day before when I took it out for a test run after making an adjustment to the accelerator cable. Took the car onto the interstate, got passed my a semi and I heard 'Wack!' I immediately looked at my windshield for damage but didn't see any. Thought maybe the nose took a hit from a rock but nothing when I looked up front. Didn't think about looking at the headlight. Have a set on order...

Yesterday I decided to tackle the outer pop-out window seals as they've sagged and never had a snug fit to them. I was intending on shortening them but decided to keep them whole and get them glued in...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Found this yesterday while placing the new case and heads on the ground for my motor build. Think it happened the day before when I took it out for a test run after making an adjustment to the accelerator cable. Took the car onto the interstate, got passed my a semi and I heard 'Wack!' I immediately looked at my windshield for damage but didn't see any. Thought maybe the nose took a hit from a rock but nothing when I looked up front. Didn't think about looking at the headlight. Have a set on order...

Yesterday I decided to tackle the outer pop-out window seals as they've sagged and never had a snug fit to them. I was intending on shortening them but decided to keep them whole and get them glued in...

Sucks about the headlight glass. shame you can't just order it separately.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Got up early yesterday and changed the oil. Packed the square for my camping trip at Devils Tower for the 40th Anniversary of Close Encounters. There's a haze from the fires in Montana but still managed to get few nice shots....

Got in early and set up. My base camp was out of the way but it didn't stop folks from coming by and asking about the car and taking pics.

My view wasn't too bad. Again, the haze...

Settled in for the evening movie after two Buffalo burgers and couple of beers...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Took some time to remove the red lens I had on the rear driver side I was going to use as a third brake light and swapped it out for another clear lens. Rewired the connection and I'm good to go with it. Also, the fire extinguisher went to its permanent place.

I'm working on putting together a relay setup so I can work the three-way headlight setup. A new set of headlights are on the way so I can replace the cracked one and have a spare.

Lastly, I have a question on the dash vinyl. This sample is from a 68. was this texture used on all years? I have a retrovan repop and the grain looks different given the sample here has been weathered.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
the fire extinguisher went to its permanent place.

It's smart to keep an extinguisher on hand - Hopefully, you'll never have to use it. Personally, I prefer to keep it in easy reach, yet further away from where a fire is likely to start. If the engine's burning, do you really want to be trying to open the hatch? I'd rather mount it on the inside of the A-pillar, or on the floor in front of the driver's seat.

Quote:
Lastly, I have a question on the dash vinyl. This sample is from a 68. was this texture used on all years? I have a retrovan repop and the grain looks different given the sample here has been weathered.

The texture of the original dash is pretty much the same throughout the years. The Retrovan dash texture is quite different from the original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
MonT3 wrote:
the fire extinguisher went to its permanent place.

It's smart to keep an extinguisher on hand - Hopefully, you'll never have to use it. Personally, I prefer to keep it in easy reach, yet further away from where a fire is likely to start. If the engine's burning, do you really want to be trying to open the hatch? I'd rather mount it on the inside of the A-pillar, or on the floor in front of the driver's seat.

Quote:

The texture of the original dash is pretty much the same throughout the years. The Retrovan dash texture is quite different from the original.

You're right, I need to rethink this extinguisher location. When the car flamed, I have a small one in the front. After grabbing it, and opening the back I have to remove items I had in the back in order to open the decklid. My thought was to have it handy. Out it'll come for a new location. Thanks for the observation and info on the dash vinyl.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bluebullseye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

I feel like I just lived through the entire build, reading the entire thread. Sure destroyed a work day! Gorgeous car and an incredible build.

I'm the kind of guy that is hated on here, because I don't/can't do my own work. But my '72 Square is about to hit the road in the next few days after 3 years of getting rebuilt. Definitely not a ground up like yours, but a good road warrior and small car show vehicle.

Question from way back on the thread: Where did you source the wide whitewalls? Are they good highway rubber?

Thanks, and will definitely be watching to see where your Square goes next.

Writer and Independent Publishing Consultant in the DC suburbs: www.johnhmatthews.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

bluebullseye wrote:
I feel like I just lived through the entire build, reading the entire thread. Sure destroyed a work day! Gorgeous car and an incredible build.

I'm the kind of guy that is hated on here, because I don't/can't do my own work. But my '72 Square is about to hit the road in the next few days after 3 years of getting rebuilt. Definitely not a ground up like yours, but a good road warrior and small car show vehicle.

Question from way back on the thread: Where did you source the wide whitewalls? Are they good highway rubber?

Thanks, and will definitely be watching to see where your Square goes next.

Thanks for the compliment on the car. Being an owner of an older car, you should have some knowledge of what you have so in the event you should start experiencing some issues road warrioring, you can try to sort thru things before having to shell out some $$ on getting it fixed. I've experienced some issues I didn't have a clue on but with some knowledge learned by reading these threads you can start to figure things out. Just a thought. Note sure what to say on the hate piece because you don't/can't work on the car yourself as I don't know your limitations but you can try. With the mounds of information here you can learn how to do your maint.

To answer your question on the tires, take a look at this site https://www.dbtires.com/store/shoptire.cfm?size=15.00

As for how they perform on the road, I cruise my car about 65 on the interstate. There are times I bump that up but with 135s up front, I don't push this car as they are not that wide compared to other tires out there. If cruising thru town, not big deal and you can clean them easy at the car wash with the company recommended cleaner - Greased Lighting and it works. I haven't had any issue with them yet.

Best of luck with your car and enjoy it as much as you can.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Today I completed my relay setup. Just need to trim down a bit of the ABS off to minimize the footprint. Think it looks great!

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Montehms 67 Prairie Square Reply with quote

Been closing the loop on my small projects and am almost there so I can focus on my new engine built. I pulled the parcel tray and made a mod to it so I could affix my new relay fuse box setup...

I then built a small bracket and affixed that to the tunnel for the circuit breaker to be near the battery.

Just need to run the wire between the two. Lastly I'm planning on building a bracket to place it where the radio normally goes. Sort of a blank piece for some push buttons. Still working on the rear cargo cover area. The design I have for the piece closest to the hatch needs to be redone as I'm not happy with it. Back to the drawing board...

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 73 of 75

Jump to: