Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

(I did a bit of a search but couldn't find this topic, although I'm sure it's already somewhere on the site.) SO: I want winter insulation, plus the ability to put panels up in the windows facing the sun while in camp to limit summer sunshine. Questions come up: I've fixed on the 1/4 in. thick silver-surfaced Prodex that comes in rolls. First Q: is it too 'floppy'- do I need something more rigid? Either way, do I cut the insulation to exactly fit the window glass itself, or an extra rim all the way around for the attachment (and how wide, if so)? This leads to the big Q, on the actual attachment mechanism. I think I've seen a reference to magnets, but about half the windows set in to 'upholstered' metal openings-- that is, framing openings covered with a layer of plasticized cloth. PLUS, I think it's most important that the whole lower edge of the insulation sheets be really close to the frame, so a current of cold air can't slide down, bringing in cold from the window surfaces. Do I glue strips of flexible magnetized plastic to the lower (or to all) the edges? Are super-magnets required where the window frame is covered with the upholstery? -Thanks for offerings of your experiences- both successful results and things to avoid. -C H
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

Howdy,

Before I bought the Just Kampers Thermomat kit, I used Reflectix panels cut to fit my window openings, with rare earth magnets to hold them at the metal window frames. If you have curtains in your van those curtains can also help hold the panels in place.

These radiant barrier products do have a profound effect on keeping heat out or heat in the van, depending on how you use them.

It is important to seal up that bottom edge where the mat meets the window frame so that cold air does not just fall down the glass face and into your cabin.

The Just Kampers mats work well most of the time--but I have to admit the suction cups don't perform well in the winter. That's when having nice tight curtains can help hold things to the glass.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

My daughter repairs computers. I use the surplus magnets from them. Otherwise neodymium magnets from an online source. They are not cheap. They are brittle and the thin ones break easily. Caveat: handle carefully, they will pinch fingers.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

I use suction cups like this one

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-1-lb-1-1-8-in-Clear.../100212757
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

I had a go at what you are asking about. It works pretty well, if I had to change anything I would make the blankets taller by an inch or so.
I'm proud of one idea I had with the magnets. I arranged them so that the poles were oriented such that when the blanket is folded the magnets attract each other and hold everything in place. In fact it almost feels like it folds itself.

Oh and that magnet orientation trick also helps hold the blanket in a half open config on the window.

Apologies for large image size

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blog post
https://shufti.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/vanagon-insulated-window-blanket-prototype/

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
I had a go at what you are asking about. It works pretty well, if I had to change anything I would make the blankets taller by an inch or so. ....

Alistair-- I love the way they look- the fabric is most luxurious. Two Qs: You say you'd make them an inch larger, vertically-- but don't say how large they are, either dimension, or, as the windows differ, how tall would they be Big Q is how are the magnets installed (?like sewn in maybe-- but can the foil take stitching without tearing? And how close, one to the next, are the magnets spaced to keep them tight to the glass?
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Howdy,

... I bought the Just Kampers Thermomat kit,
It is important to seal up that bottom edge where the mat meets the window frame so that cold air does not just fall down the glass face and into your cabin.
The Just Kampers mats work well most of the time--but I have to admit the suction cups don't perform well in the winter. That's when having nice tight curtains can help hold things to the glass. -kourt

Couple of Qs here, too: Do the suction cups do the job of sealing the bottom edge-- say, when it's warm enough that the cups work- or is there always some leakage? How many cups, how big and how close together do they come on the pre-made Kampers? Would extra closure at the bottom of the Kampers be achieved by adding magnets, or are they too short (vertically)?
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Alistair-- I love the way they look- the fabric is most luxurious. Two Qs: You say you'd make them an inch larger, vertically-- but don't say how large they are, either dimension, or, as the windows differ, how tall would they be Big Q is how are the magnets installed (?like sewn in maybe-- but can the foil take stitching without tearing? And how close, one to the next, are the magnets spaced to keep them tight to the glass?

Yes the fabric is swanky isn't it? Was a microsuede in the remnants pile. Cost very little. The foil stuff, and I think I have the name of that stuff on my blog link, did sew ok. My wife did the sewing, used tape, binding tape, on the edges.

The size... Well they really do need to be sized so that the magnets lie on the less curved portion of the window. I cut a little tight, and there was no need for that. Some excess lenght is ok.

I used a total of eight magnets for that one. One on each corner and in the middle of the horizontal edges. And you need one in the middle of the vertical edges. Yup, magnets just in stitched pockets.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I need suggestions on mounting window insulation while camping Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Couple of Qs here, too: Do the suction cups do the job of sealing the bottom edge-- say, when it's warm enough that the cups work- or is there always some leakage? How many cups, how big and how close together do they come on the pre-made Kampers? Would extra closure at the bottom of the Kampers be achieved by adding magnets, or are they too short (vertically)?

I hate those suction cups. I sewed tabs around mine with a Rare Earth magnet in each and covered the grommets with Reflectix tape:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: