Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mr. & Mrs. Henry Oppenheim and their '71 Squareback.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Yep. I cant go back and edit the title either. Cry your pardon.

Laughing

Pm everett or the moderator of the forum, they can change it for you. Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No progress other than the motor is out. This thing looks complicated as crap with all this stuff all over it. Fairly intimidating, keeping my eyes peeled for a good long block, going to use this time to get the tins off, cleaned and painted, etc. Even have a NOS muffler to go on, since this one has a small rust hole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its been 6 months of life, and other projects in the way, but I finally got it torn down. First time I have ever stripped a type3 down, and damn this thing has lots and lots of parts to remove! Well its off to the rebuilder, so I'll start getting the accoutrements cleaned and painted.

Can someone give me a rough idea of what I should buy (seals, etc) so when the motor comes back I have everything I need to get it re installed. Things I might not have had or are missing or that should be replaced while its all apart. I want to put it back in, complete with all the seals etc I need. Should I replace the thermostat, etc?

Any tips help. Thanks in advance.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Type 3 has the same seals as a Type 1 engine for the most part. A complete 1600 engine gasket set will work.

A few small Type 3 things you can do now that you will appreciate later.

Yes, replace your thermostat. It should be tight at room temp. Yours has expanded. Adjust it carefully.

After you have the guts installed, grind/saw a slot (like a screwdriver slot) in the right side end of the flap operating rod. This will let you tell if it is working as it warms up, without having to get under the car or remove tins.

Straighten and smooth your distributor clamp. The long Type 3 style gets bent when over-tightened and makes timing adjustments finicky.

Use the smaller copper exhaust nuts at the head connections. Use a little anti-seize compound on all of them.

Consider taking your rear (small) heat exchangers off (special large but thin wrench needed) and replace the copper crush seals. Again, use anti-seize. Do the final tightening when on the car. Weld/braze up any cracks in the muffler heat shields to prevent rattles.

Look now for a seal between the cast and tin fan shroud parts, as well as making sure you have all the combos of seals and washers for the oil cooler. Get a new foam piece for the top so it seals right. Check all engine bay wiring and fix it now while you have all that room! Maybe take a stiff brush at the underside sheet metal above the tranny to stop dirt form hitting you in the face when crawling user there later. Find the special "larger/longer than Bug" small cardboard heater hoses that lead to the heater air mixers on the body. Also source something to seal between the fan shroud and the elbows leading to the rear HEs. Inner tubes have been suggested if you can't find OEM seals.

The rest of my advice is about FI but I see you have carbs, so I'll leave that advice to others with experience.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Also source something to seal between the fan shroud and the elbows leading to the rear HEs. Inner tubes have been suggested if you can't find OEM seals.

The rest of my advice is about FI but I see you have carbs, so I'll leave that advice to others with experience.

2 1/5 rubber plumbing connectors work in place of the old rotted ones for the "C" shaped elbows. I used them on my own car with good results.

As for stuff needed for carbs, thick paper gaskets, and the phenolic spacer (and gaskets) for use between the manifold and the carb. That, and new fuel and vacuum hoses.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. & Mrs. Henry Oppenheim and their '71 Squareback. Reply with quote

All reassembled and back in. Been a long time coming. Small things remain, (Oddly, I have one rear wheel locked up I need to examine.) after which I believe Oppenheim may find a new home. Its been fun, but I dont really enjoy Type3s like I thought I would and he just sits and sits and sits. Maybe someone else can enjoy him as much as I have.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. & Mrs. Henry Oppenheim and their '71 Squareback. Reply with quote

It doesn't look like you have wheel chocks on those front wheels. I wouldn't trust jackstands up that high without them in place.

That car has a wonderful story. Hopefully you find the joy, or make a good deal with someone who will.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. & Mrs. Henry Oppenheim and their '71 Squareback. Reply with quote

There is one on the front wheel (drivers) you cant see. I dont trust jackstands at all. Laughing

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. & Mrs. Henry Oppenheim and their '71 Squareback. Reply with quote

Any updates?
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Mr. & Mrs. Henry Oppenheim and their '71 Squareback. Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Motor install complete, got it down and tuned. Running well, but not perfect yet.

Decided to head on over to the car wash for a little freshening up. Amazing how dirty a car can get just sitting! And we are off!

I arrive with no hiccups! Nasty! I need a new muffler, the old one held together about as long as it took me to drive to the car wash. I have about a 3" split in the muffler now.

After about $10 worth of quarters, she emerges from the car wash clean! I head to the gas station for some fresh gas, and back to my shop. No issues all the way.

Still needs some tweaking, but she's running, driving and clean! 15 miles on my 0 mile longblock so far.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: