Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cautions before removing a rear fender?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Cautions before removing a rear fender? Reply with quote

I've never removed a fender from a type 3. I want to remove the left side rear fender from my '66 square in order to route a wire harness for my FI conversion. Are there any cautions I should be aware of before I remove the fender? TIA
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: cautions before removing a rear fender??? Reply with quote

No surprises, loosen all the hardware first. Gently loosen the panel from the body. Remove the lower hardware, have your helper hold the panel, remove the rest of the hardware. You may find a bit of crud and rust inside. Be ready for any surprises. Post some picture.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: cautions before removing a rear fender??? Reply with quote

Do you have a Bentley manual? There are one or two hidden fasteners it will tell you about.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: cautions before removing a rear fender??? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Do you have a Bentley manual? There are one or two hidden easterners it will tell you about.
Those pesky easterners are always bothering us westerners.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: cautions before removing a rear fender??? Reply with quote

Easterners or westerners, we are all in this together.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: cautions before removing a rear fender??? Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Do you have a Bentley manual? There are one or two hidden easterners it will tell you about.
Those pesky easterners are always bothering us westerners.

LOL! My typing must be getting worse, because the autocorrect mistakes seem to be getting more and more frequent! I want to turn that off but don't know how in Safari. Twice as funny because I spent all last week back east in Connecticut!

I corrected my original post.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Cautions before removing a rear fender? Reply with quote

The lower bolts tend to be stubborn, and will often break if not removed carefully - especially if the rockers are rusty.

After loosening (but not completely removing) the upper mount screws - I spray a bunch of Deep Creep (or your preferred PB Blaster type stuff) down between the body and quarter panel, then let it sit for a while.
Loosening those lower bolts, I undo it till it gets sticky, spray it again, then re-tighten it, and repeat until it comes all the way out.

Don't forget the screw inside the hatch (might be hidden by the seal), and the bolt underneath inside the apron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cautions before removing a rear fender? Reply with quote

Ya,
You gotta pull the tail-lights out to reach that hidden one into the apron.
PITA that one..

Have beverages handy.
You might need a drink after seeing what it looks like in there.
Total rust trap...

Also,
Save your seals and fender beading.
The aftermarket 'new' stuff can disappoint big time.

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: