Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake shoe query
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Brake shoe query Reply with quote

Hey folks,

86 Vanagon. Just wondering if the lever on the shoes for the self adjuster is reusable. I have a set of shoes that doesn't have it. Perhaps they are the wrong shoes. Entirely possible.

I won't get a chance to pull the wheels off until next week and want to make sure I have the proper ones.

Thanks,
Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Brake shoe query Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
Hey folks,

86 Vanagon. Just wondering if the lever on the shoes for the self adjuster is reusable. I have a set of shoes that doesn't have it. Perhaps they are the wrong shoes. Entirely possible.

I won't get a chance to pull the wheels off until next week and want to make sure I have the proper ones.

Thanks,
Brian.

I just replaced my rear brakes and the lever is not removable, it's attached like a loose fitting rivet. The old ones were pretty worn anyhow.

I bought shoes from CarQuest first and with their shop-brand shoes the lever was not bent at the right spot so the lever did not align with the teeth on the adjuster. I bought German-made shoes from Van-Cafe that were a much better fit.

If your shoes don't have a lever, I would assume they're the wrong shoes and I'd get the proper version with the lever.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
SGS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from autopartsway.ca Same shoes and brand as Van Cafe has listed for my 1985. Normally free shipping for orders in Canada over $75. Sales (%5) by email promo code every couple months.

They have ok prices, the right brands (usually), and shipping is quick. I usually get stuff in 2-5 days.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: shoes Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure they were the wrong shoes but unsure about that lever.

Thanks for the parts info. I have a few local sources that get me parts pretty quick.This particular guy is usually right on, just happened to get sent the wrong ones. I will reorder on Monday.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need the lever.

My brand new shoes from leading supplier had the levers break off within 2500 miles and jam into the crevices of the braking system causing unholy noises.

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the non-adjuster lever ones are most likely for Bay Buses, they are manualy adjusted.

one thing I've had trouble with in econo kits is 2 left E-brake shoes
which is quite the puzzle when you're not expecting it and have to either use one old one, or grind off the rivit from the correct old shoe and resecure it to the new shoe... just to be prepared.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: shoes Reply with quote

Thanks Dan,I"ll keep that in mind.

How's the trip planning going? Still heading up Quebec way this summer?

Brian.

AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chojinchef wrote:
Need the lever.

My brand new shoes from leading supplier had the levers break off within 2500 miles and jam into the crevices of the braking system causing unholy noises.

LP

I also had some "white box" rear brake shoes from one of our favorite vendors snap the adjuster lever..the thin one that works the adjuster.

Left side broke and I made a good repair..by replacing the leading brake shoe assembly from RockAuto.

Right side broke about a year later. Used the right side leading brake shoe from the same box.

The broken part attaches to the spring. Right and left broke in the same place.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Beware of the brake parts that come in a simple white box with no clear vendor..bad news.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chojinchef wrote:
...brand new shoes from leading supplier had the levers break off within 2500 miles...

Me: same thing ... AS I WAS INSTALLING THEM. Evil or Very Mad <Meyle brand> Rolling Eyes

Yep - sounds like you got the wrong parts...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: