Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

Another place to look for the Custom Radio units:

http://truck-parts.ryderfleetproducts.com/nav/b+Custom-Radio

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L

Last edited by Forthwithtx on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I recently came across this sweet vintage style radio that looks like a great single DIN, Vanagon dash fit. It has USB, blue tooth, aux input...

I just bought one of these, and will report on my install when I get a chance. Stay tuned!

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

bought thru what channels? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

For my purchase, I simply used German eBay, as it was easiest. Amazon.de would have worked as well. (disclaimer: I speak German, so ordering from German sites doesn't present any problems for me)

FYI I'm replacing my Kenwood KMM-100U with this Continental radio. The Kenwood has been great, but I'm looking for something a little less glitzy, and with a better radio receiver, and simpler controls, and Bluetooth.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

Thanks, Harold, for the detailed report. Am I the only one who noticed it has a clock function>? My old (not original, but not new-ish) radio has no clock function, and since my dash clock flaked out about 8 months ago I've been going nuts, daytime and nighttime driving. I may get one of these just for the working clock.
But one Q: your original posting is almost 4 years old now-- have you or anyone seen newer products that match the features of your posting but make it seem obsolescent?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
otiswesty wrote:
I recently came across this sweet vintage style radio that looks like a great single DIN, Vanagon dash fit. It has USB, blue tooth, aux input...

I just bought one of these, and will report on my install when I get a chance. Stay tuned!

kourt

The amber display color looks like it will kinda match your Yaesu xcvr.

I got this little Midland with NOAA wx - it will go in my re-purposed overhead ac duct

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

Oh sweet! You are totally right, the Yaesu has an adjustable display color. Right now it's light blue, but I see amber in my future! Thanks for the reminder!

kourt
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

Kourt, any updates on this, I'm interested in a new radio this season.

thanks,

Dan
kourt wrote:
For my purchase, I simply used German eBay, as it was easiest. Amazon.de would have worked as well. (disclaimer: I speak German, so ordering from German sites doesn't present any problems for me)

FYI I'm replacing my Kenwood KMM-100U with this Continental radio. The Kenwood has been great, but I'm looking for something a little less glitzy, and with a better radio receiver, and simpler controls, and Bluetooth.

kourt

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Kourt, any updates on this, I'm interested in a new radio this season.

thanks,

Dan

Howdy Dan,

The radio was aesthetically pleasing, but really not very feature rich. The USB interface had no provision for accepting audio signal from a modern smartphone, which was a dealbreaker. To use that radio would be a step backwards in terms of my overall technology situation. I returned it. Sorry it did not pan out.

kourt
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

Found out about a new model available from Custom Radio Corp......

CSS-6020E not seen on their website, but you can see it on bigrigstereo.com

This is a full featured "Mechless" head unit that Was installed a week ago replacing an aftermarket pioneer head unit and CD player.

So much cleaner looking and simpler to use...... Old School.

The cd's are replaced by a 64 Gb low profile USB drive.
Ordered the remote because I used one with the pioneer. Works well

The stock VW 8 pin connectors are plug and play, only had to add the ACC/turn on lead to the power 8 pin connector. The Mechless unit is less deep than the cd/tape decks so even more room to play with under the ashtray.

Ordered via email with the aforementioned sales agent "Sherry"

Editing cause someone pm'd asking about price....

Radio - $109.00
Remote- $7.00

What a pleasure to deal with.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Found: Weather Band Radio with AM/FM, CD, MP3, etc that fits Reply with quote

I haven't seen any mention of the Panasonic radios, which are visually similar to those above. Here's a distributor:
http://www.panapacific.com/category/audio-video/radios/

Having a radio that was apparently wired from factory to be always on, I'm not really impressed by the new tendency of having a "mute" feature and "press and hold to power down" procedure. Pretty much all radios listed so far, including the Panasonic above, share that "defect".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: