Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bad fuel pump
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

My 1.5 year old fuel pump had been making noise off and on this summer. It seemed to be worse in high heat. I haven't figured out if I just got a bad pump or some debris from tank got into the pump. Well, it died this weekend on my home in sort of the middle of nowhere southern UT. Fortunately I had the stuck the old pump in the van as a backup just in case. I ended up swapping out the pump for the old one in a pull off area and was back on the road in about an hour. The "old" pump ran nice an quiet for the entire 300 mile drive home.
Now I'm not sure if I am going to order a new one and keep it on hand or swap in a new one and keep the old one on hand.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

I Had installed a new Bosch "last of the "Made in Germany" come get them before they are gone forever fuel pumps" from Bus Depot.

I left NJ and it died just South of Boise Idaho. No noise, just stopped running.

We were planning to visit a friend in Boise that day so I called around, found a new Bosch pump (Made in Yugoslavia) at a store a few blocks from her house and paid for it over the phone. She picked it up and brought it to us. Within 10 minutes it was installed and running. We went and visited for the day.

BusDepot warrantied it and send me a new Bosch pump.
This new pump is now my spare pump which I carry everywhere...... Mr. Murphy tells me I'll NEVER need it because I have it with me.

Dave

(If anyone wants a used pump as a spare, PM me. I've got two that I'd be happy to give away for free, just pay shipping if you can.
If you can't afford the shipping?
That's ok too. Just "pay it forward" and do a kind deed for someone that you encounter along life's path........
Send me an address.)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

x2

Run the old & carry the new for spare....belt and suspenders. Wink

Curious, though: any obvious collection of junk @ the intake of the noisy pump?
Might be worth dropping and cleaning the tank which inevitably has some rust...

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

VW owners are known for carrying around a bunch of spare parts wherever they go

- they are the only German brand to do that (tho maybe Audi owners should too)
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I Had installed a new Bosch "last of the "Made in Germany" come get them before they are gone forever fuel pumps" from Bus Depot.

I left NJ and it died just South of Boise Idaho. No noise, just stopped running.

We were planning to visit a friend in Boise that day so I called around, found a new Bosch pump (Made in Yugoslavia) at a store a few blocks from her house and paid for it over the phone. She picked it up and brought it to us. Within 10 minutes it was installed and running. We went and visited for the day.

BusDepot warrantied it and send me a new Bosch pump.
This new pump is now my spare pump which I carry everywhere...... Mr. Murphy tells me I'll NEVER need it because I have it with me.

Dave

(If anyone wants a used pump as a spare, PM me. I've got two that I'd be happy to give away for free, just pay shipping if you can.
If you can't afford the shipping?
That's ok too. Just "pay it forward" and do a kind deed for someone that you encounter along life's path........
Send me an address.)

Dave

I installed a Bosch pump from bus depot (made in mexico) just yesterday and it's been a loud buzzing pump since it first turned on. Brand new tank with 12mm outlet,hoses, crossover, fuel filter, etc... Entirely new fuel system front to back and the pump is still noisy. Whatever.
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

Maybe the line is obstructed? I solved my noise problem with a resistor. Shocked
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

How did you fix it with a resistor?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

I have considered installing a dual fuel pump system like race cars do.
with a A-B toggle switch back by the pumps would be sufficient..
beats changing one out in a parking lot on a road trip.
or if one runs hot and sputters. allows it time to cool down..

for ~$100... peace of mind in redundancy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

If I were given a Ford Ranger pump and a Bosch pump I would install the Ford pump and sell off the Bosch at a swap meet.
kennyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: bad fuel pump Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If I were given a Ford Ranger pump and a Bosch pump I would install the Ford pump and sell off the Bosch at a swap meet.

I just read a posting about using a Ford pump, thought it was a mustang pump though.
I did notice some red grit coming out of the bad pump. I'm guessing a new fuel tank is needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: