Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new bus owner confused,Help!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titothesloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: new bus owner confused,Help! Reply with quote

Recently accuired a 1970 poptop transporter with 1600 d.p. drove it 1100 milesthen belt broke when it broke ittook out the fule line going into fuel pump and thebreather hoses leading to the air filter. well pathed every thing up startted driving again and got smoke coming out my engine compartment about 7 miles later pulled over and then we towed her back home(1600 miles). get home and find out fuel pump is leaking neeeds rebuilt. WAs given a different fuel pump from a frriend.Replaced using Muir's idiot guide and HAynes book for a type 1( yes my bus has a type 1 engine init). now by bus appears to have compression it has fuel going to carberator and the bus has spark, however then engine isn't crankng over fast enough to start. the book has helped me eliminate starter, selonoid, distributer, coil, and just to be safe replaced spark plugs and plug wires
can someone out there please help me thanx
chris (Titothesloth)
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how far did you drive without a belt? losing the fanbelt is often the kiss of death for vw engines, as they overheat VERY quickly. I'd do a valve check, and compression check, and give the crankshaft pulley a wiggle. the black smoke isn't a good sign. also, check the distributor position- if the belt took out the fuel lines, it may have whacked the dizzy hard enough to knock it around, throwing off your timing. just some random thoughts.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said its not turning over fast enough? Maybe the heat affected some wiring? If it is turning over too slow, charge your battery, run jumpers directly to you starter and try to start. If after you battery is charged and the engine turns fast enough. check fuel with engine cranking pull line off carb while turning, see if you got fuel. If no, you might need the right fuel pump push rod to go with your fuel pump. there were two styles one for generator and one for alternator. If none of his works. Tell us what is going on. engine speed etc....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you can turn it over at all is suprising. Chances are that you smoked the engine. But since that it's turning over may be due to the rings being burnt. Try a comperssion test. Anything under 90 psi, you should replace the rings on the piston. Cross your fingers and pray that that is all you did to it. That would be the cheapest thing that fouled up. It is possible that you burnt a valve or two, but I'd bet that it's the rings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titothesloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

compression test came back pos slighty over 115. adusted the valves yesterday. recharging battery right now left key in forward pos. timing was set yesterday ignition points are good.after adjusting the valves it tried to turn over harder but still no luck. any ideas thoughts or comments ? :crazyeyes: Shocked
Airsick
Samba Lowering Squad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the compressions fine. now try what I said.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: