Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insulation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Insulation Reply with quote

OK, I know I am asking for it, but what is the current best practice for insulating the walls of the van. Not sound deadener, but a replacement for the fiberglass that I have systematically removed from within the wall cavities?

I have searched and found various ideas that were repeatedly shot down by members, so do we have a 'agreed' practice that works without negative side effects?

As I have just removed my drivers rocker panel and have seen the damage a fiberglass batting can inflict on an unsuspecting vanagon panel, I am curious to gain some insight from the membership.

Thanks in advance for any input.

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably wrongly, i'd look for a water repellant spray foam insulation

what are you doing about the insides of your seams now that you have repaired them ?

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try this product. I see someone else on here used it on their high top to insulate it.

http://www.insulation4less.com/Default.aspx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:

what are you doing about the insides of your seams now that you have repaired them ?

Sikaflex 227. Was recommended by my friend the body man.

http://us01.webdms.sika.com/fileshow.do?documentID=978
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chojinchef wrote:
rubbachicken wrote:

Sikaflex 227. Was recommended by my friend the body man. http://us01.webdms.sika.com/fileshow.do?documentID=978

is that for the seams you see, or the insides where you don't, i was wondering about the possibility of sweating in lead based solder from the inside, sealing the seam from the inside, being sure that water could not rot the seams out from the inside
the capillary action should suck solder almost right though, sealing the seam from the inside

an it would need to be done before painting

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
chojinchef wrote:
rubbachicken wrote:

Sikaflex 227. Was recommended by my friend the body man. http://us01.webdms.sika.com/fileshow.do?documentID=978

is that for the seams you see, or the insides where you don't, i was wondering about the possibility of sweating in lead based solder from the inside, sealing the seam from the inside, being sure that water could not rot the seams out from the inside
the capillary action should suck solder almost right though, sealing the seam from the inside

Never thought about solder. Figure with the idiot drivers here in Northeast, I will probably need repair ability.

I will be using the Sikaflex wherever I can apply it around seams - inside and out. Trying to blast as much of seam, then prime to best prep for sealer.

an it would need to be done before painting

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sika products are amazing.
I use many of them in home construction.
Most come in tubes and can be spread like a brushable seam sealer on the inside.

Wurth has two part foams available.
I have the pneumatic applicator.
Pricey stuff Exclamation
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Sika products are amazing.
I use many of them in home construction.
Most come in tubes and can be spread like a brushable seam sealer on the inside.

Wurth has two part foams available.
I have the pneumatic applicator.
Pricey stuff Exclamation

Have used some Wurth products before. Are you referring to something specific that I can look into?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the name or product number offhand.
I can check tomorrow.

Not sure if you can access the product info without an account.....

wurthusa.com
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for any information you can get.

LP
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: insulation Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
I am going to try this product. I see someone else on here used it on their high top to insulate it.

http://www.insulation4less.com/Default.aspx

I really like the Prodex insulation referenced (linked) above. Light, easy to apply - its great for lining the inside of a hightop. Its IR reflective properties means that the van stays warm in the cold months and cool in the summer.
Would I use it to insulate the sides, doors, etc of a van - NO. The reason is that whereas when lining the top one can seal the surface completely by using the reflective tape, thereby preventing any air infiltration
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it would be impossible to do so in the cavities of the van.
I'd use this stuff - at first glance it seems expensive, but I figure that there's enough to probably do 3+ vans - so if a few people got together .... http://www.foaminsulation.net/spray-foam-insulatio...-foam-kit/
Used in the side cavities it has all of the qualities I'd like: closed cell, good acoustically, good R value and it would get into all of the nooks and crannies.
I wouldn't use spray foam to insulate a hightop however - I've talked to quite a few professional foam folks - there is no way to ensure that the thickness of the foam when applied and expanded will be uniform. If a spray foam insulation was of varying thickness it would be next to impossible to finish the interior of the top neatly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Insulation Reply with quote

I too removed my Dometic fridge to change the fan and check valve. I looked at the floor behind it and as many members have said there was rust. I have now pulled the entire kitchen, removed the fiberglass insulation behind the kitchen and under the water tank. Did POR-15 for the rust. I am trying to figure out what is the best insulation to replace the fiberglass. My big concern is how hot does it get behind the fridge when running on propane. Does anyone know. The reason is that various insulation's have temperature limits. ie Reflectix 185 degrees, dynaliner 225 degrees, fiberglass 350 degrees etc. I don't want the insulation to melt or offgass. I also don't want to put something back that holds moisture. Any help would be appreciated.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation Reply with quote

Westified wrote:
I too removed my Dometic fridge to change the fan and check valve. I looked at the floor behind it and as many members have said there was rust. I have now pulled the entire kitchen, removed the fiberglass insulation behind the kitchen and under the water tank. Did POR-15 for the rust. I am trying to figure out what is the best insulation to replace the fiberglass. My big concern is how hot does it get behind the fridge when running on propane. Does anyone know. The reason is that various insulation's have temperature limits. ie Reflectix 185 degrees, dynaliner 225 degrees, fiberglass 350 degrees etc. I don't want the insulation to melt or offgass. I also don't want to put something back that holds moisture. Any help would be appreciated.

You'll have to read the specs on a variety of products. That's a pretty flat surface, you might consider a spray foam with a reflective barrier between it and the fridge. Check Summitt Racing or Racer Part Wholesale for reflective heat shielding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: