Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Meyers Manx resto-reference thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I can see my coleman stove set up on the back of the fold down hardwood shelf. All chuck wagon style and shit!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MOON BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this video at 2:57 you can see one of the camping modules on a vintage Manx Buggy.

Link
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I see that! It would be a nice and handy Manx accessory to have for sure. Man that video is outta control with Meyers Manx fossil-ness! I never get tired of watching it. Who is the dude in the Yellow buggy with the floral print roof in the last picture of the clip? Someone must have a very authentic looking Manx they'd like to post a picture of on this thread. I'd like to see some nice period correct seats that people have. I know the new available seats are more posturpedic and whatnot, but they just don't look the part. I kinda like the 914 seat idea, maybe with cut down head rests. Anyone done this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the yellow Manx with the flower top belongs to Jacky Morel, French journalist and publisher of Super VWs magazine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ruska B1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I did an interview with Jacky Morel. Maybe you guys can translate it with Google translator Arrow http://www.buggyvrienden.nl/VIP/JackyMorel.htm

Jacky did buy the yellow '67 Meyers Manx in 1993 and this Manx had driven only 5000 miles at that time.

'68 Meyers Manx
'71 US Opel GT
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! Did anyone else see that sweet metallic burnt orange all original Meyers Manx that just sold on ebay for $7k and some change? I guess it got pulled out of a shed or something. Original Meyers Manx license plate frames as well. Hopefully the new owner will keep it all stock looking like it is, as it's so friggin' original and unmolested! Shit, It just don't get any bettah than that.
MOON BUGGY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who is the dude in the Yellow buggy with the floral print roof in the last picture of the clip? Someone must have a very authentic looking Manx they'd like to post a picture of on this thread.

Hi Roscoe,
the yellow Manx with the flower top belongs to Jacky Morel but the man driving it is none other than Bruce Meyers himself.

And thank you for the nice comments on the video.
I spent a lot of time collecting and editing the Bruce Meyers tribute video.
Makes me fill good that people enjoy it.

Last edited by MOON BUGGY on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe
I found this original metal flake Manx in Jersey and brought it back period correct.

Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After

Here is the thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523704&highlight=barn

It even came with a near perfect original interior and a top.

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROSCOE, Its actually a pretty rare Manx, it has a Newport Beach tag. It was one of the 105 that were made in February 1968, the very first month they put number tags on Manxes and also the very last month the factory was in Newport Beach. In March 1968 they moved to Fountain Valley and the tags were changed to reflect it.

The serial number of the very first tag was 1401. I'm pretty sure the last one made in Newport Beach was 1505. The eBay Manx is 1502. I don't have any hard evidence but the info I have indicates that the reason that the first tag number was 1401 was because that was actually the correct number, because they made 1400 before they started putting on number tags.

Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon Buggy---The video is very cool once more!

Vince---Your Manx is super nice. Excellent wheel choice. Does the sidewinder exhaust sound much nicer that the traditional dual chrome-tipped muffler horn jobbies? Mine came with original hard-top, back window and side curtains. I'm grateful for that, but how I'd love to get my hands on some seats like yours instead the homemade ones mine came with. What do you think of the lil' beard seats? how about 914 seats with headrests chopped down? I actually like the hard top so much, that I have never taken it off yet!

BL3 Manx---Good detective work! I wonder who bought that Manx and if we'll see it again. Went for some pretty good dough! The color is amazing. Though all the Manx colors are damn cool.

Wish I could go down to Manx on the Banx, but a little to far for me at this point. You all oughta drive north next summer to New England!

Last edited by Roscoe on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
Talbot mirrors mounted on the front fenders look good but can be difficult to see a view of much more than the rear fender out of...

I don't have a close-up pic of the mirror itself, but mine has a British one that was used on a lot of Triumphs and MGs in the 60's and 70s....sadly, it too offers little more than a clear view of the rear fender, but it does help me pass the annual NYS safety inspection. As the car is original down to the gelcoat(built in '68 by a Manx dealer in NH), I won't upgrade the mirror.

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasticman--- Nice buggy. Interesting It came from NH. I grew in NH, My Manx was bought new from a dealer in Massachusetts. There's a lot of Meyers Manx buggies from New England. What kind of seats are you sportin'?
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
Plasticman--- Nice buggy. Interesting It came from NH. I grew in NH, My Manx was bought new from a dealer in Massachusetts. There's a lot of Meyers Manx buggies from New England. What kind of seats are you sportin'?

Thanks! There is a pretty big buggy community in the northeast, especially in New England. I met a guy at the Volks-Vair Fair one year who may have built my Manx, as he was a dealer at that time and he says he built 2 15E metalflake blue ones.

The seats in mine are small fiberglass shells on standard Beetle rails; the PO, who owned it for about 15 years, told me they came with the 'B' kit from Meyers. Not at all comfortable as automotive seats go, but I have found that slouching makes them much more reasonable.

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe
Thanks! The Sidewinder is much quieter than the dual cannons. It allows you to have a conversation with your passenger without yelling. It also helps with a few added horses since the 4 equal length merged pipes help with "scavenging" the exhaust gases and allowing the engine to breath better.

My seats were original to the build and could be bought from the Meyers Manx catalogue.

Mine were in almost perfect condition since the Manx was not driven much at all and it was stored in a garage its entire life.

The seats were originally uncomfortable but I added 2" of padding to the "butt" area and 1" to the lumbar area. I have a bad back but have been able to drive for 200+ miles without a problem.

I used a NOS Delswift mirror.

It is actually quite functional, but it was a bit of a challenge to mount it the way I did since the "square" nut did not like the curved surface underneath the hood.

Funny you should mention seats. Tim at Dune Buggy Restoration has come out with a copy of the Foyega seats from that period and will be selling them soon.

(I need to attach the back cover to the plywood)

They are high quality and should work well in any buggy.

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince----Thats good news about the seats. Are those last pictures of the seats with the wider pleats the ones that will soon be available? Do you have a clue as to whether or not they will come with mounting tracks?
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Manx from this site out of Arkansas. The body will need some restoration. I'd like to have a template of the rear license plate area and the rear wheel arches so I can replace the fiberglass that has been cut away. Does anyone have anything like this? Thanks in advance. Smile
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathbone- Unless I'm confusing him with someone else, I think Vince in North Carolina was selling rear license patch panels for Manx's. He may be able to assist with the side pieces you need too. Good luck! His user name is surfnc.
chax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

I just bought this 1971 Manx 2 that seems to be an original one.

Anyway, it has two pairs of front turn signals.

Would someone tell me which pair is the correct one for the period ?

Thanx !

manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chax wrote:
Hi !

I just bought this 1971 Manx 2 that seems to be an original one.

Anyway, it has two pairs of front turn signals.

Would someone tell me which pair is the correct one for the period ?

Thanx !

The most common fitments at the time would have been Lucas L488 lights (similar to the round ones that you have only with a flatter lens, still available as they're popular for Cobra kit cars) or the bullet shaped early Karmann Ghia turn signals. Wing top VW lights were also used but usually a bit further back and a but further in than you've placed them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new buggy! Either one could have been used back in the day, but the small round ones would probably be a more period correct choice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: