Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 ghia (now sport ghia)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: 73 ghia (now sport ghia) Reply with quote

Is it a special edition Ghia?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

claude

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002

Last edited by vwclap on Fri May 04, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hosspowerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its a "sport" edition. Special paint, steering wheel, and wheels as far as I know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The special wheels are not the ones that are on it.

If you search "sport ghia" here on the site, you will find some info.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=268587
todd73ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like ravenna green. I also have a '73 and it looks like the same color.
I believe the "sport" edition didn't have a back passenger seat but rather just a bench?
Anyways, that car looks awesome. Sure is packed in there tightly Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wheels on claude's car look like Dan Gurney wheels.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1262321
vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the steering wheel Ok?
the speedo read 120 mph with odometer.

Are they rare?

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steering wheel is the correct one. As I understand it, there were very few Sport Ghias, as U.S. dealers made them up as a dealer option without VWoA approval. Once VWoA found out about it, they made the dealers stop. I thought all of the sport Ghias were Saturn Yellow, though.

The correct wheels for a Sport Ghia are the silver painted sport wheels they used for the 76-77 bugs. The wheels that are on that car are Dan Gurney style (which I like better than the VW sport wheels).
todd73ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwclap wrote:

is the steering wheel Ok?
the speedo read 120 mph with odometer.

Are they rare?

My speedo also shows 120. Does the clock work?
KIDSPEED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That color in the first pic could be green or yellow, it's just not good lighting (or a great pic). The interior shot where the carpet is pulling away looks like yellow to me so likely this car is genuine.
Personally, i've never cared for those Gurney wheels. They look a little industrial to me. I actually like the steel "sport" wheels that should be on there. To me they are more period/style correct looking I have run them on 2 of my Ghias. Used wider 5 1/2" wheels on the back. First from the equivalent 73 "Sports Bug" special edition which have a lot of offset. Next from a 914 Porsche (5 1/2") with much less aggressive offset.
-Laurence
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd73ghia wrote:
I believe the "sport" edition didn't have a back passenger seat but rather just a bench?

No U.S. spec ghias from model years 1973 and 1974 came with a rear seat. VW of America simply deleted the rear seats in order to comply with the federal law that required rear seat belts for model year 1973 and newer cars.
todd73ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
todd73ghia wrote:

No U.S. spec ghias from model years 1973 and 1974 came with a rear seat. VW of America simply deleted the rear seats in order to comply with the federal law that required rear seat belts for model year 1973 and newer cars.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. My '73 has a rear seat w/no seat belts.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd73ghia wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
todd73ghia wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this statement. My '73 has a rear seat w/no seat belts.

Then it is either not a U.S. spec model or a previous owner installed a rear seat. I suspect the latter.
todd73ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
todd73ghia wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
todd73ghia wrote:

Then it is either not a U.S. spec model or a previous owner installed a rear seat. I suspect the latter.

hmmm...I dunno. So I've never seen a 73-74 without a rear seat. Are you saying they were all added by an owner at some point? Was the seat back stock or was that added along with the seat bench? What in it's place originally? Any pics anywhere of a stock 73-74 before aftermarket seats were added?
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd73ghia wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
todd73ghia wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
todd73ghia wrote:

hmmm...I dunno. So I've never seen a 73-74 without a rear seat. Are you saying they were all added by an owner at some point? Was the seat back stock or was that added along with the seat bench? What in it's place originally? Any pics anywhere of a stock 73-74 before aftermarket seats were added?

I can't find any pictures, but it's a well-documented change due to federal regulations that kicked in for the 1973 model year:

http://www.house-of-ghia.com/Buyers_Guide.html

http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/features/0110vwt_volkswagen_karmann_ghia_history/index.html

My understanding is that there was no seat back, but a carpeted plywood shelf replaced the seat bottom.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always understood it to be the 1974 model year that came with no rear seat in North America.

pyralis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1973 vert with no back seats. There's a carpeted back shelf that can hinge up. I'd be happy to take a picture when I get back home on Thursday night.

I know the 2nd owner bought the car in 1974 or 75 from the original owner. This lady had the car for like 20+ yrs and she said the car had no backseats when she had it. She did sell it in early 2000's and it passed hands a few times so I'm not sure if the carpeted wooden hinged back shelf are "factory" or not.

I did do some research because I wanted to add backseats and I was told that 73 & 74's didn't have them because of seatbelt laws. But that most previous year backseats from earlier models will easily fit into the area once the wooden shelf is removed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modelttouring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: sport Ghia Reply with quote

My 74 Ghia has no back seat.I got it from the original owner in 1981.Check the door sticker on your car,the 73s&74s all say 2 passengers
todd73ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: sport Ghia Reply with quote

modelttouring wrote:
My 74 Ghia has no back seat.I got it from the original owner in 1981.Check the door sticker on your car,the 73s&74s all say 2 passengers

Interesting.
Mine says "Passenger", not 2 passengers.

vwclap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally bought the sport ghia. It's an old Florida car with 34000 on it. It was in a small local auto museum since the 90'.
The body is in good shape but will need a good clean up (inside and outside) and basic mechanical maintenance.
The rims on it will find their ways on another Ghia project and this one will be fitted with the sport wheels...
here more pics

cox 1956, 1962 et 1975
Split panel 1963
Samba 21 fenetres 1966
Ghia 1968
Sport Ghia 73
West 1970
Jetta 1992
Jetta TDI 2015
West Multivan 2002
Pat KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 74 Ghia cabriolet has no rear seat. I bought it new in Sept 74. My 70 Ghia cabriolet did have a back seat (jump seat).

74 Ghia Cabriolet (bought it in 74 new)
63 356 B Coupe
2005 BMW 325i
2008 BMW 328 convertible
2007 Dodge Ram Hemi
2005 Honda Odyssey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: