Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
EverettB wrote:
I did notice it said 0 TDC as you mentioned for post-67 stuff.

I was hoping tasb would officially weigh in as post '67 had smog stuff. If the spring rate and vacuum can is the same and it's a dealer replacement then it "should" be 7.5 BTDC but I want to be sure for El Maestro Himself. Thanks glutamundo and EverettB.

The vacuum can pull length is what is the difference between the 7.5 BTDC can and the 0 can. I have both the 67' 205K distributor and the 69' 205T distributor. Glutamoto pointed that out in the vacuum can thread so I went and measured both cans. He also noted that most of the 66 and 67 original vacuum cans had the "star" pattern on the back on the vacuum cans which my 67 205K does.

My 69' engine came with the Solex 30PICT-2 carb with the altitude corrector (smog device) on it.

I've often wondered how many people are running the wrong timing on their distributors because of a vacuum can being changed.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

An educated guess would be about 1 in 10 are mismatched, so fairly common.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

That Service Department replacement distributor should have a vacuum canister that delivers approximately 32 degrees of advance and static timed starting at 0 degrees.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Many of us have been using Progressive Refinements as a near gospel when it comes to dates for various changes to the early Beetle and Bus. I am discovering that at best it is selective in what the author chose to include and that it is not an exhaustive accounting.

In two cases the listing is either incomplete or erronious when it refers to distributors. PR states that the date coding of distributors began in March 1951 (Electrical sec.). This is without a doubt inaccurate as Bosch has been date stamping distributors at least as far back as 1937 and likely further.

PR also states that advance spring revisions are identified by a red paint mark (engine sec. April 1954). The fact is that there were several colors used and each probably referenced a specific revision that has probably been lost to time. Here is an example of an early take off distributor. It is date stamped 12 K or December 1954. The condenser is date stamped 11 K for November of the same year. This distributor has the same condenser installed by the Bosch factory worker 62 years ago and it is still functioning normally by the way. The rotor and points are very likely just as original. The cap is definitely an older version, correct for the distributor vintage, with no logos on the outside.

Last edited by tasb on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have seen distributors from 1954 with red, yellow and blue marking's.

While it still functions it remains original/un-restored.

tasb

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

In 1967 Porsche produced 2,178 of the 911 S' models, 360 of those were Targa's. One of the unique parts on those 911 S models from 1967 was the distributor. While the "regular" 911's had distributor # 0 231 159 001 the S models received the 0 231 159 002. A unique feature of the 002's was the badge background being yellow instead of the typical black. Here is one of only 2,178 yellow badged distributors. It does have a kind of golden sheen to it.

Porsche distributors are taller and have a drive gear at the end of the shaft. I'm not quite finished with this one since the pin is peened onto the gear face. These distributors also have an oil port that can be seen on the left side.

The 002 uses the same condenser/bracket as the BR 25, 010 models. They also share the same points. Amazing that even Porsche was still using points as late as 1967 on their top line model.

Looks just like the mechanical advance distributors on VW's except that there are 6 peaks on the cam.

Besides the drive pin I still need to source a distributor cap and find the rev limiting 7300 rpm rotors that I stashed somewhere in the shop.

This exceptional piece stumbled my way in a parts lot with no mention of a cast iron distributor at the bottom of the box. I had to sit down and catch my breath when I found it and turned it over to reveal the yellow badge.

spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Nice piece!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

This piece of machinery fits into all three categories: rare, unique, oddball:

The assembly has three parts a top middle and bottom.
It mounts in the distributor location perfectly but is too short for the stock distributor drive gear. The identifying marks are as follows.

Top: Cog VW 120.17.01.1 The bearing has "Made in Sweden" stamped into it in English!

Middle: Cog VW logo - 5 - 120 -17 - 02 . 1

Bottom: Cog VW logo 120-17-03 .7 - 5

I've searched pretty thuroughly for a date stamp but have not found anything yet.

From this angle you can see that there is a part missing from the assembly. There is no cap or wires present so likely that is what is missing. Note the driven gear facing the left side of the engine.

From this view you can see that there is an adjustment arm. It appears to attach to something.

This appears to be a magneto and/or speed governor from the World War II time period.

Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Looks like a governor that aircraft have for constant speed propeller. Any chance it's from a diesel that this thing governs the fuel injector pump?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

My guess is governor with the adjustment on top. The take-off drives a distributor. Navy?
Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

That drive looks like a magneto coupling
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Oldfart wrote:
Looks like a governor that aircraft have for constant speed propeller. Any chance it's from a diesel that this thing governs the fuel injector pump?

Absolutely a chance. Any one who recognizes an application is making a good guess. Interesting proposition that a VW engine would have run on diesel during the war.

tasb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Oldfart wrote:
That drive looks like a magneto coupling

I would agree,esp since this came with it.

I'm pretty sure that this magneto does not go with the one above. There are no VW stampings and the Bosch logo looks more modern than World War II era. Again, I have yet to find any date stamping.

Oldfart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Are you sure it's that old? VW engines have been used as aircraft powerplants for a while, the earliest I've seen was a modification to a 25HP.
To me it looks like an aircraft application but normally you don't have constant speed prop/governor on lower power engines such as VW conversions.
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Oldfart wrote:

In the first picture above note the VW cog wheel logo?

tasb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics of the assembly together.

The distributors in the background are not part of the assembly.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

The bracket that attaches to the magneto - also is supported by the fuel pump studs?

Would it use a modified pump or at the least a longer rod?

Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Hey notchboy, did you notice that we joined TheSamba on the same day/year? Cool

You are member 2066 and I am member 2067. There were only three people who joined on that date. The first member last visited in 2002.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

"Seattle", "Running", "Lincoln". and "Kennedy" have the same amount of letters.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Hey notchboy, did you notice that we joined TheSamba on the same day/year? Cool

You are member 2066 and I am member 2067. There were only three people who joined on that date. The first member last visited in 2002.

Ha, too funny.

What about?

Quote:
The bracket that attaches to the magneto - also is supported by the fuel pump studs?

Would it use a modified pump or at the least a longer rod?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 21

Jump to: