Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

I've been searching for one of these for a bit over two years. It's a flat top cap with the "raised finger" for the coil wire.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There appears to be a resistor in the raised finger.

This cap comes in two color versions. There is dark brown, as well as black. It's fairly common to see these two piece caps in both colors at the same time. The cap end of the plug wires do not have any connectors.. The wires are simply speared onto the nails inside the cap. When the top is screwed down it helps keep the wires secured.

The cap has some unusual markings which indicates to me that this cap may be of pre war production. The bottom of the cap has a triangle logo with L3 on two sides and DAMW at the base. Inside the base is KP and what looks like a castle along with WEB inside the castle. The top of the cap has a prominent Bosch logo. In the years prior to WW II Bosch and many other German firms were not allowed to produce anything that might be used for military purposes. Bosch got around the regulation by partnering with some non German firms in order to continue production.

Another interesting feature of these caps is the notch on the back side of the cap. Some of the earliest VW distributors had the condenser through bolt facing the rear of the car and I am sure that other makes had the same design. This cap has two notches, 180 degrees apart.

Here is the cap finally installed on an April 1942 Bosch military Kubel VEK 4 BS 276 distributor, where it belongs.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

This one came in a core pile the other day. It's definitely an oddball. According to the doucmentation that Andy (Glutaqmodo) and I have been able to uncover. it was used on type III from 1966 until 1967, but to locations other than the USA. It is for this reason that I am theorizing that it may have come on a Notchback VW since these were not directly imported into the USA. This is the first one that I have come across.

It is equivalent in nearly every detail to the Beetle/Bus 113 9095 205 T. I dressed this one in some special clothes. It has NOS German Bosch points, condenser, rotor and cap. The dark Brown German cap is espiecially difficult to acquire.

The part numbers: Bosch: 0 231 137 033 VW: 311 905 205 Q

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
This one came in a core pile the other day. It's definitely an oddball. According to the doucmentation that Andy (Glutaqmodo) and I have been able to uncover. it was used on type III from 1966 until 1967, but to locations other than the USA. It is for this reason that I am theorizing that it may have come on a Notchback VW since these were not directly imported into the USA. This is the first one that I have come across.

It is equivalent in nearly every detail to the Beetle/Bus 113 9095 205 T. I dressed this one in some special clothes. It has NOS German Bosch points, condenser, rotor and cap. The dark Brown German cap is espiecially difficult to acquire.

The part numbers: Bosch: 0 231 137 033 VW: 311 905 205 Q

My Type 3 Parts book says the 311 905 205 Q distributor is for Engine # T0574186 to T0690000, which is near the start of July, 1968 to the end of July, 1969 (So basically the 1969 model year)

I believe you are correct about it being non-USA because it would have to be for a carbureted car and US models from 68-up were fuel injected with the trigger point distributor.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Here's another odd one that came in the same pile as the 311 Q found above.

Obviously it's an SVDA. It is of Mexican manufacture which does make it a bit odd. The Bosch # 0 231 170 040 which indicates that it is similar to the oft sought after "034". The VW #: 043 905 205Z. It was manufactured in September of 1974. What really makes this distributor odd is the Third line of text stamped into the housing.

Once I saw the odd third line of text, I knew that it looked familiar. SIC DGE 5919. Earlier in this thread I featured a odd distributor that still has not been identified for application. It appears similar in specifications to a 113 905 205 M (1968 types I and II) but it has the VW# 111 905 205 S, Bosch 0 231 137 025. It was manufactured in April 1972. I was more than a bit surprised when I discovered that the third lines of text are identical on both of these distributors.

So why this same extra line of identity text on two very different distributors made two and a half years apart? I don't know the answer but I'm open to suggestions.

mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
It is of Mexican manufacture which does make it a bit odd. The Bosch # 0 231 170 040 which indicates that it is similar to the oft sought after "034".
Earlier in this thread I featured a odd distributor that still has not been identified for application. It appears similar in specifications to a 113 905 205 M (1968 types I and II) but it has the VW# 111 905 205 S, Bosch 0 231 137 025.
So why this same extra line of identity text on two very different distributors made two and a half years apart? I don't know the answer but I'm open to suggestions.

Tim, the 0 231 137 025 and 026 were manufactured in Mexico too. Maybe that's the reason they have the same third line.

0 231 137 ...
025 JUR 4 (R) (commerce)
026 JUR 4 (R) (manufacturer production)
VW 1.5 liter made in Mexico 9.67

I've posted this scan before, after somebody did post a VW advertisement with a Mexican made 1500 engine. Found the ad:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/67bug_mexico/3.jpg
I'm sure the 025/026 is related to this engine.
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Applause to Mr. Lang. Whooda thunk that an early SVA distributor that looked and felt and had parts that were of high quality would have been manufactured in Mexico? Not even me. I even restored the thing and didn't notice the stamping on the bottom of the housing was a bit different. Embarassed Bosch Hecho en Mehico

tasb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

It's oh so good to have fine friends. One of mine brought this distributor to me at the recent OCTO Show here in SoCal.

I've featured a couple of these mechanical advance only Garbe distributors early in this topic. This is only the fifth that I have seen in a lifetime of VW observations.

This one is different from the others. It is a newer version. It has a part number sticker like the vacuum advance versions. The earlier versions had a gold metal tag with nails holding the badge to the housing. Sadly, the most important suffix has been scuffed off the tag. The cap clips are the same design as the vacuum advance units, as well. The earlier ones had manufacturer date stamps on the underside of the rim where this one is lacking a date stamp.

In all other respects including tune up parts this distributor is the same as the earlier versions. The advance curve starts at 1200 rpm with 4 degrees and tops out at 2400 rpm with 21 degrees of advance.

From a historical perspective, Garbe Lahmeyer GmBh began producing parts for VW in early 1955. It appears that mechanical advance distributors were first although Progressive Refinements is not specific. GL also produced coils, generators, regulators, and starters for VW. Later products don't seem to have any consistent date stamps. The vacuum advance GL distributors became fairly common starting in 1960. There has been some questions as to when the mechanical advance distributors would have continued. The example above dates from at least 1960. It appears the Garbe Lahmeyers relationship with VW ended around 1972.

tasb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

In the same small pile of a dozen or so distributors was this oddball. Some documentation on it is posted a few entries above. It is a 0 231 137 025 by it's Bosch number or 111 905 205 S by it's VW number. It is identical to the 113 905 205 M which was the stock distributor for 1968. Y+This one does not have a date stamp. The documentation above lists it as "commerce" production made in Mexico, but this one is made in Germany. Mr. Lang, what is your best guess as to the meaning of the terms "commerce" and "manufacturer production" in the documentation above?

mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
It is a 0 231 137 025 by it's Bosch number or 111 905 205 S by it's VW number. It is identical to the 113 905 205 M which was the stock distributor for 1968. Y+This one does not have a date stamp. The documentation above lists it as "commerce" production made in Mexico, but this one is made in Germany. Mr. Lang, what is your best guess as to the meaning of the terms "commerce" and "manufacturer production" in the documentation above?

This is some kind of an odd thing.

I'm not sure if I did the translation correct on this and I'm not sure, if it is even necessary to translate it.
Translation for "Fabrik" could be the factory or plant, but could also be just the manufacturer. In all 3 cases it's VW.
Translation for "Handel" could be trade or commerce or dealer.

My guess is, that this has to do, how the distributor is labeled.
Let me try to explain:

The "Fabrik" and "Handel" notes are also within the distributors feature list and they do follow a pattern:
Distributors marked as "Handel" have a full description about this specific distributor.
Distributors marked as "Fabrik" have no description, but instead they have a reference to another distributor like this:
"wie .. 007, jedoch mit Kundenwarenzeichen" (like .. 007, but with customer brand)
"beschriftet 011, aber mit VW-Bezeichnung" (labeled 011, but with VW-label)

For example (i use a odd distributor, since we are in the oddball distributor thread):
The 0 231 117 007 (Handel) description is detailed with information about mounting type and drive dog
The 0 231 117 008 (Fabrik) description just says "like .. 007, but with customer branding"

This does mean:
The 0 231 117 007 does have the Bosch number only.
The 0 231 117 008 does have the Bosch number of the 007 distributor and the VW brand number VW 181 905 205

Looking at it the other way round:
If the distributor does have the 0 231 117 007 number only, then it is the 0 231 117 007
If the distributor does have the 0 231 117 007 and the VW 181 905 205 number, then it is the 0 231 117 008, but labeled with 0 231 117 007 with the addition of the VW part number 181 905 205
If the distributor does have the 0 231 117 008 number, then this should not exist and is truly odd and should deserve it's place in this thread.

This part number pattern (Fabrik, Handel) can be found for almost all VW related distributors with exceptions to the older units.

If you use the same pattern for your 0 231 137 025 with the VW number stamped on it, then what you have is actually the 0 231 137 026, but labeled 0 231 137 025 with the addition of the VW part number 111 905 205 S

I hope this wasn't too confusing.

Long story short:
So "Handel" means, it has the "Handel" part number written on it only.
And "Fabrik" means it has the "Handel" part number with the additional VW number written on it

Nice pile you got there !
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

My understanding of how the numbering system works is that if it only has a Bosch part number then it was a dealer service department replacement part. If it has both Bosch and a VW part number it was installed on a car that left the factory.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
My understanding of how the numbering system works is that if it only has a Bosch part number then it was a dealer service department replacement part. If it has both Bosch and a VW part number it was installed on a car that left the factory.

Tim,

So I'm clear, are you speculating that any year or model Bosch distributor that left the VW factory had both the VW part number and Bosch number while replacement distributors sold at the dealers only had Bosch numbers on them?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Yep, that is my understanding. This applies to the aluminum bodied distributors. The cast iron with the badge didn't have room for both number sets. One exception, there always is isn' thre? is the later 010's with the 211 905 205 F designation which were made post production bastard 40 horse.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Here's an NOS 111905205AA replacement distributor in the original box. It has both VW numbers and Bosch numbers on it. The boxes stickers are dated 8-9-76

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
It's oh so good to have fine friends. One of mine brought this distributor to me at the recent OCTO Show here in SoCal.

i am a great fan of the looks of these with the little distributor cap and VW symbol. back in the day i have been lucky to find the cap and guts at swapmarkets for next to nothing.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Presumably you were finding the vacuum advance versions which are fairly common. As above the mechanical advance ones are extremely rare. Both models used the same tune up parts. I've found the caps at swaps but the asking price is sky high just because of the VW logo on them.

tasb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Here's an NOS 111905205AA replacement distributor in the original box. It has both VW numbers and Bosch numbers on it. The boxes stickers are dated 8-9-76

As I've said, there are exceptions, or I'm simply wrong. It could be that the 111 AA's were installed on domestic market cars or other continents besides Europe or North America and the documentation is inaccurate.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

As I've said, there are exceptions, or I'm simply wrong. It could be that the 111 AA's were installed on domestic market cars or other continents besides Europe or North America and the documentation is inaccurate.

I also have two 211905205Q 1971 NOS bus distributors. They have both the VW part number and Bosch part number stamped on them too.

mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

When you buy a part at the VW shop parts counter, then do those parts have the VW number stamped on them?
It's been a while since I bought a brand new part (except screws and a fuel filter) from VW, so I don't know exactly.
The fuel filter had the VW and the Knecht part number printed on it.

Could it be possible, that those NOS distributors were bought from VW directly?
factory installed in a brand new car -> VW and Bosch number
bought from VW factory dealer at parts counter -> VW and Bosch number
bought from independent parts dealer -> Bosch number only

Question
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Sounds like a reasonable theory to me.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
MODIFIER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Unique and Oddball stock ignition distributors Reply with quote

Is this a rare one?
If I recall correctly it's from a type 4 one year only.it spent several years in my sons bug working flawlessly.

62 Beetle
63 Vert
64 Beetle
https://www.facebook.com/SmartFarmServices
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 21

Jump to: