Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WBX lifter clatter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
kerosene

Thanks. I know what kerosene is.

One Sunday, many moons ago my uncle Wild Bill Worthington stopped by my folks place to swap some lies and drink some free beer. When he and my aunt pulled up, I was sent to jockey my old man's Rocket 88 out of the way so that Wild Bill could park.

Wild Bill winced when he heard the racket coming from the hydraulic lifters in the Olds - he loved machinery and couldn't stand seeing it abused. My old man was the exact opposite - run it hard and hang it up wet was his modus operandi.

Before he could grab a cold one, Wild Bill asked my old man when was the last time he had changed the oil. The car had 30K on it, and the puzzled look on my old man's face told Bill that the oil had NEVER been changed. Wild Bill turned beet red and gave me two bits (maybe it was 27 cents, hard to remember exactly) and told me to run down to the gas station and get a gallon of kerosene.

When I got back, Wild Bill already had the hood up on the Olds and was cussing out my old man for abusing a fine automobile in such a heinous manner. Wild Bill drained the crankcase and filled it with a 50/50 mix of kerosene and straight 30 weight. When Wild Bill told me to start it up, I hesitated because I didn't want to be part of fucking up my old mans wheels.

I started the car and the lifters seemed noisier than ever. After about 15 minutes, when clouds of white smoke started to billow out of the tailpipe I was sure I was in line to be Wild Bill's whipping boy once my old man got wind of this debacle. Wild Bill just sat in the driver's seat calmly sucking down Blatz and Pall Malls. Finally (praise dee Lawd and dee baby Jesus!) after about half an hour the Olds started to purr.

Bill had me drain the kero and fill the Rocket 88 with fresh oil. Now, I knew what to do in 30K miles.

Richie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Update on the update Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The van's sat for the last few days. I just fired it up and the clattah is back.

Soooo...

Snake oil #1: fail

I like what some folks mentioned about trying Snake oil #2, in order to remove the build up of varnish, so I may try that during my next oil change.

Kerosene really isn't snake oil, IMO. It's proven. My grandfather used it to clean pretty much everything that came from underneath a car.

STP is snake oil, just heavy weight gear oil more or less. Personally, if I knew it was in my crankcase, I'd drop that oil tomorrow.

Drop put some kerosene or MMO in, let it idle a while, drop the oil, change the filter then try it. If it's still there, go with heavier oil.

Obviously, it may take a while with the kerosene too. It may eat some of the gunk but need more time to eat out the next layer of gunk under it.

My old mechanic recommended short interval oil changes rather than flushes with any other chemicals. I did that also. Once I cleaned the engine a couple of times with MMO or CD2 then switched to SAE30, the
clatter was gone.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Bill reminds me of the Polish guy I worked for back in High School.
Al Pukzta.
Had a 60 Caddy that sat for a long time & he was going to Forida for in a week.
"Son, go take the air cleaner off of the Caddy, and slowly drop this oil into the carb--
Just before it's all gone, flood it out & let it die.
Turn the key off, and put the air cleaner back on, close the hood , and come back in & clean all the paint guns."

I did ask at the end of the day what I was doing out in the back yard doing to the Caddy with that red, sweet smelling oil.

"The damn thing I don't drive too much and it's starting to use a little oil--that red can has some fine machining oil in it, and will loosen up the stuck rings before I leave on the trip"

Yea--right I thought.
Miracle in a can.

Well Uncle Albert left with his old lady--came back to work in two weeks.

OK--How much oil did the car use back & forth?

Not much son--I put half of a quart in in Florida, and when I got home it was still full.

I'm sold, and filed the MMO product info into my grey matter roll-a-dex in my 15 year old pea brain.

This was the same guy that freed up stuck engines & quieted down noisy lifter's in Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, & Caddies with fuel oil ( and for you kiddies out there that don't know--older GM hydralic lifter's did hang up and stick a lot with straight weight oils-especially with low or no detergent)--more in to file upstairs, and elaborate on here when the timing is right.

You Ute's might be roaring at this stuff--
But I have been there, seen it, and used these processes, more times than I can count.

Guess what--it all works.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon May 07, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my next act, I'll be pouring a half cup of Ajax down the intake to take the glaze off the cylinder walls--rebuild powder

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Son--

To get the job right you gotta use Gabby Hayes endorsed, & approved 20 Mule Team Borax.

That'll cut the glaze off of them slick cylinder walls, right now.

For your next act I'd be thinking seriously about getting the sludge in a can outa your cranckcase.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Uncle Bill reminds me of the Polish guy I worked for back in High School.
Al Pukzta.
. . . . . .

Guess what--it all works.

How right you are, O Master of Mayhem! BUT, how can you believe it? Wild Bill Worthington and Al Pukzta aren't on YouTube!

Richie
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Richie--

Back then it was get on with your life, absorb, digest and automaticly grey matter file on the roll, without killing 3/4's of a day pounding on a key board.

Got a problem with your 49 Hudson Hornet?
Dig in and solve it, or in the worst case scenario, make a couple of 5 minute phone calls, read the Chiltons shop manual (if you had one), or call the guys you knew at the corner gas station you hung out at for answer's and get it done.
( Big Slave repayment program--sweep floor's, pump gas for a day, wash the office window's, dump the rolling oil container, restock the outside oil can dispenser's, clean the bathrooms, wash & wax the service truck--whatever)

The worst ordeal was to have to take a trip to Warshawsky's in Boo-Boo land on the South Side, putting your life in limb in jepordy.

Guys out in BFE had to wait-- ordering stuff they needed from the catalog department of the polish parts castle--JC worthless.
Same Place.

I had the opportunity of being a star and hitting the joint live--not via MSN, or Verizon.com. and not being able to digest the Keyboard Cowboy's input on some "I wanna know" forum, and get a bunch of uneducated opinons, no actual hands on answer's.

Life has surley changed, and now I get slapped for my spelling, not the content of the mechanically attune message.

Funny stuff---

Fuel Oil in an Engine?--
What are you crazy?

If the babes only knew--

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue May 08, 2012 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC Worthless? That's where I buy all my engine pellets with powdered babbitt to add bearing material back, thus rebuilding my engine from the inside out.

y u rune klassik?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite items--
them drop in pellets--

There was another high hitter--
Instant valve & ring job in a tube.
Remove the spark plugs and squeeze an equal amount into each hole--button her up, and your good to go.

What a place for the criminally insane, blind , crippled & crazy.

The neighborhood & store was a
circus.
What went on in & outside of the place was an experience that was / is beyond description.

Unbelievable would be short siding it.
You had to be there---

And the icing on the cake was--the place was always packed--wall to wall.
You had to take a number & kill an hour or two just to get to talk to a counterman.

The only high point of this day was you got to stop at some dump--that had the best Vienna hotdogs & fries on the planet for the ride home.
Tomato, onion, relish, slice of garlic dill & hot sport pepper's, on a poppy seed bun--

I could never figure out why the pickled relish was always Neon Green--it glowed in broad daylight.

Tasted Good.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
One of my favorite items--
them drop in pellets--

Ha ha. Forgot about those.

Your not suggesting they didn't work, are you?

Next you'll tell me to take the magnet off my fuel lines. Or off my body. Those magnets are great.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
. . . or call the guys you knew at the corner gas station you hung out at for answer's and get it done. . . .

I see we've been around the same block, TK.

Not only would they tell you how to make your motor purr, a course in Sex Ed was also thrown in for free.

Richie
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's seriously creepy...

y u rune klassik?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's That?

The answer to what's wrong with the ride, or the sex ed?

When it came time for the slave labor for a day payoff, the best part of the job was was the winshield wash--and hope that some Femme' Fatale' with a hiked up skirt rolled in needing a fill up.

Showtime--

I'd change her oil & give a grease job--
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the answer here?

All's Quiet On The Western Front--
Or are you leaving the Granetelli Jello in the crankcase, and running her till she pukes?

An awful lot of Hubub Bub--and not another word of what the bottom line is.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already stated that Snake oil #1 failed to address the situation. Anything else I'd post right now would clearly devolve into yet another oil thread shitfest. I'll post up my experiences with Snake oil #2 when I change the engine oil and introduce that product to the environment.

y u rune klassik?
NWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my opinion that running heavier oils may help with lifter bleed off, but they also contribute to the clatter.

Thinner oils will refill a bleed lifter quicker than thicker oils. If our van sits for long enough that your lifters bleed off, don't expect them to fill up and remove all that air in a timely fashion when you are running 20w-50.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine more than likey has miles on it, hasn't been maintained in tip top condition, who knows what oils it has run through it in it's life,and above all else the lifter's springs & pressure valve are all sludged up or just all done.

Running the 20/50 for a high miled motor would be Ok if he would first get the Granetelli glue outa it, run some stove oil in it for 15 --20 minutes ( leave the oil in the current filter ), drop it and then load it up with a quart of MMO & the oil.

It sure won't hurt one thing--and just might quiet them clattering lifter's down.

His worst enemy right now is himself in not driving it often, ( or starting it once in awhile ) and allowing the lifter's to bleed all the way dry--and / or leaving the Aunt Jemima Syrup in the engine.

Clack, Clack, Clack.

Sleeping with the Enemy, & Aunt Jemima.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifter clatter pays off sometimes especially from someone who don't know the difference between lifter noise and a rod knock, had thick oil in eng. Got me a real good deal on a '84 a while back, got it home,change oil/filter and no more noise, a good day.
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Granetelli Jello" & "Aunt Jemima syrup"!
Thanks Terry, you made milk come out my nose this a.m.
I needed that!
I've found a fresh oil & filter change does wonders, for a while...
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to figure out a good way to desscribe the Kayo Syrup engine treatment--
Aunt Jemima came into view.

The Granetelli Bros. were local Flathead Ford speed guru's back in the late 40's early 50's.
They made one heck of an aluminum 3 ace's manifold for the Flathead.
( Very Desirable to this day )

I have no idea where Andy came up with the engine glue treatment.
He sure did make a bunch of money on the stuff, and the plant is / was a couple of miles from me.

I remember reading a Universal Oil Labs engine oil report years ago, and according to them STP caused so much un-godly oil pressure behind the rings ( if they wern't already stuck inside of the lands ) that if you had an engine that was burning oil, the STP would eventually cause it to burn more because it shoved the rings onto the cylinder walls so tight it would wear them out even more.

No rotation, no spring to them---always tight as a fat ladies socks on the cylinder walls.

There is a engine builder 160 miles away from me that does my Small Block Chevy's.
Best that I have found.
Anyway, up front next to his counter, he has a smoked engine block that had been running Granetelli glue in it.

I have never seen anything quite like it.
The sludge is baked onto the inside of the block like a tarred country road--hard as a rock.

Wow--

And because of this visual --this told me without asking any questions the Aunt Jemima ain't no good for nothing--
Maybe---and only maybe it's OK for engine assembly use with a light wipe of the stuff on bearing area's.

I don't think it's going to be freeing up any stuck lifter's in a Wasserleaker.

Your right on the money--
Frequent Oil changes are the best preventative medicine for any engine.

Skip the Glue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: