Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Build AAZ 1.9 TD
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
93DieselPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Build AAZ 1.9 TD Reply with quote

I am putting in an AAZ into my buddy's 83 westy , originally a 1.6 NA , had a few questions( I have never worked on a T3 before)

the original oil filler neck/ dip stick is broken , what are my options
does anyone make a block off plate for the oil pan
if I block it off , what dip stick can I use( in the normal spot like cars )

Also putting in a aircooled trans , any threads about swap is appreciated

Thanks
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sign up for the Yahoo Diesel Vanagon Group (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Diesel-Vanagon/) . They have a lot of good documentation about the AAZ swap in their file section.

about the filler: you can block it off (I think i remember Greaseworks offered the blocking plate) and fill through the head. you have to fabricate your new oil dipstick though and use the dipstick location in the block.

this is one awesome thread about putting an AAZ in a vanagon: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...hlight=aaz
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made several dipstick tubes from steel tubing so that they are accessible from the license plate and curve over to the stock block hole. '83s had that style of dipstick, tho. They also had the 5-speed. Sounds like what you're working on is an '82. Why would you block the stock oil filler? Needing to clear off the rear hatch area to check or add oil is a PITA.
93DieselPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a 82 , oops ,, learning ,, yes seems to be a PITA to check oil by lifting the cover , researching right now ,

Thanks for the info
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: