Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Finally, a dedicated thread for the mythical peanut oil exhaust anti rust threatment!
What have you done, what step did you take, and of course plenty of pictures, just cause everybody wants pictures! Its always way more interesting!
For those that have done it, can you show a pic of your exhaust and how many years ago did you do the threatment?
And of course, what is that makes the peanut oil work?

TK, this thread is dedicated to you. After so many years advocating the virtues of the seasoning of the exhaust with peanut oil, now you can direct people to this one.

The info is scattered in numerous threads and hard to find, see here:

Search words: peanut oil
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=Peanut+oil&search_forum=20

Even with google not much is found (besides thesamba):
https://www.google.ca/search?biw=1024&bih=648&...3c6nbPCxtY

Thanks in advance!
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

What needs to be identified first is the flash point of peanut oil (the temp it ignites and burns), and the temp of the exhaust. I could see oil of many types preventing corrosion of bare metal. But I would have to be convinced that the oil would not burn off. Interesting, though.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
What needs to be identified first is the flash point of peanut oil (the temp it ignites and burns), and the temp of the exhaust. I could see oil of many types preventing corrosion of bare metal. But I would have to be convinced that the oil would not burn off. Interesting, though.

DougM

Yeah i hear you Doug, at this point i don't understand how it works.
What i have read is that the peanut oil stays in the metal after been heated and will help prevent rust...
Someone had mentionned he did the seasoning 4 times in the oven with a new exhaust part, and it stayed in a dark colored metal....
Now... Does it really work?
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025

Last edited by pedrokrusher on Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

I have done it.
It works.
Repeat applications and heat cycles will build a coating.

No pics of this...plenty of pics of pipes with header wrap though Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Make sure you place the certified sticker

"Peanut in stainless steel on FF"

So that those with peanut allergies know to not drive behind you.

In NY, the acronym is usually used.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

The peanut oil rustproofing has been around for longer than you can imagine--

Ever season a cast iron frying pan?

Heat, oil, heat, oil, and some more heat.

The frying pan will never rust.

So, in essence your seasoning your exhaust system to keep it as rust free as possible just as anyone would season a frying pan.

The steel absorbs the peanut oil with a couple of heating cycles.

A real easy to use preventative measure, that doesn't take to long to get good results--and it won't flake, chip, or peel off---

Not at all a difficult concept, not expensive, not on the EPA lists of stuff you can't use, and it works quite well.

Try it--you'll like it.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Ever season a cast iron frying pan?

Heat, oil, heat, oil, and some more heat.

The frying pan will never rust.

Exactamondo Wink

Thanks TK, most sound grasp that description.

As far as flash point goes...don't worry about it, change your fuel lines and ditch the plastic fuel rails, those are what you should be worried about fire wise.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Why peanut oil? I've seasoned cast iron skillets with olive oil or vegetable oil.

Craig
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

The peanut oil is all I have ever used--

Try Crisco, or Armor Lard If you'd like--whatever trips your trigger.

The peanut oil smells good I guess, and I do know that it works.

You can experiment with anything you like.

Then report back with the long term results please.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

The skillet example is to show how the "seasoning" prevents rust and is more of a household example.

10 to 1 says the lard will ignite.
Olive oil doesn't have a high enough burn point for this.
Same as with cooking.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Neat--

Pure Lard Flames blowing outa the back end of the Van--

This will give the tailgating fools something to think about--wake them up anyway-- Wink
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Call Cheech and Tommy...we could film the sequel....Up in Smoke2 Wink
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Perfect--

U-Tubia Extravaganza----

Flames on Broadway-- Shocked
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

So, it's the Terry and Dylan show. I'm looking for more than "It works, trust us" here. Oil has a flash point and when heated to that point burns off. Steel is a solid and things don't readily "soak into" solids and become one with them on a permanent basis.

So, I'm having trouble accepting this without some attempt to explain the science from you guys.

Well respected paint and coating companies routinely try to develop paint coatings for exhaust that routinely fail in the real world. These are companies with chemical engineers and big budgets and they fail to develop exhaust coatings. So, I (and others here I'm sure) have a hard time accepting that a random member of the legume family has magical properties to coat super hot steel against rust.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

I have yet to use any oils on my exhaust, but I plan to the next time I replace it. I have yet to read the proper technique; does one simply brush/slather it on, then drive around to heat it up? Are periodic reapplications required?

I do know that peanut and canola oils both have very high smoking points, the temperature at which they begin to break down and burn off, so are considered by cooks to be the best choice for pan frying or deep-frying foods like fish, etc..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

I would think there is a danger of fire from heating any oil to its smoke point.
Here are the smoke points of different cooking oils:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But as far as seasoning: apparently there is more to it than that. It seems you want an oil that will polymerize (form a hard plastic surface).
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
So, it's the Terry and Dylan show. I'm looking for more than "It works, trust us" here. Oil has a flash point and when heated to that point burns off. Steel is a solid and things don't readily "soak into" solids and become one with them on a permanent basis.

So, obviously you are not the chef of the past or future.

If you don't care for it works, slide over to you tube & search cast iron frying pan seasoning, frying pan seasoning, google it, whatever.

There you'll find all of the information you'll ever need Doug, and then some.

If you have never heard of this, truely you have been under a big rock.

I've got a few old cast iron frying pans that were my Great Grandmothers.
She seasoned them with peanut oil, she told me so, and to this day they have not one spot of rust on them.

Steel doesn't absorb anything.
OK.
Blow some WD 40 on a naked piece of steel, wipe it off, and try and prime it.

Let me know what happens.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

So, I'm having trouble accepting this without some attempt to explain the science from you guys.

Well respected paint and coating companies routinely try to develop paint coatings for exhaust that routinely fail in the real world. These are companies with chemical engineers and big budgets and they fail to develop exhaust coatings. So, I (and others here I'm sure) have a hard time accepting that a random member of the legume family has magical properties to coat super hot steel against rust.

Doug

You are continually looking for some sort of evidence.
Go buy some oil and put it on your exhaust.
Why don't you actually try this, take the time to post pictures, do all the scientific testing needed and share a bit.

The iDoug show wouldn't make it past the pilot stage thus far Exclamation

TK and I are in syndication.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
I have yet to use any oils on my exhaust, but I plan to the next time I replace it. I have yet to read the proper technique; does one simply brush/slather it on, then drive around to heat it up? Are periodic reapplications required?

Read the post I wrote about how to do this seasoning---heat cycles .
About 6 messages back.

If you want slap the peanut oil on once a year.
It's a guick job.
Not time consuming.

I just thought about something for Doug.
You want documentation of this process, slide over to Vanagon.com about 20 years back.
This is where it all started, this is where it was introduced.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Peanut oil exhaust anti rust treatment Reply with quote

I've used vegetable oil to season the Scout Troop's cast iron, as well as my own, by wiping it on and baking it in the oven. Unfortunately, we had a Scout with a peanut allergy, so I never used peanut oil. The oil will, in fact, harden to a semi-durable finish. I don't know how it would hold up to road salt and mud spray, but it is a sound approach for ferrous metals.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: