Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn Button Clock
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Horn Button Clock Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

got this horn button clock from BD, but there is not enough clearance for it on my steering wheel. My old horn button works fine, but with the thickness of the clock, the button keeps hitting the top of the steering column and will not install completely.
Anyone else had this issue?
Anyone else have this clock?
I have taken apart the steering column assembly to try to find the problem.
here is a pic of how far the column is sticking up, which then hits the bottom of the horn button clock when i try to install it. (sorry its a little blurry) Is this normal clearance for the horn button? (horn ground is disconnected for a better view of the column)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it pretty close to fitting? If there is enough plastic on the backside of the new button, maybe you could carve some out with a dremel. That's probably not the answer you wanted but I don't know enough about the stearing assembly to know if itd be ok to adjust for more clearance.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuco wrote:
Is it pretty close to fitting? If there is enough plastic on the backside of the new button, maybe you could carve some out with a dremel. That's probably not the answer you wanted but I don't know enough about the stearing assembly to know if itd be ok to adjust for more clearance.

the clock has a metal casing on the back. I don't think carving would be an option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to contact BD and see what they have to say.

Hadn't seen that before; looks pretty cool.
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you fab some sort of 'spacer' to raise it a pinch?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try it on another bus and see if it won't fit there too. If so you return it. If it does fit then compare where yours is different.
Jockomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want that thing to work the way it is intended you will need a flux capacitor. I think they are NLA
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
You may want to contact BD and see what they have to say.

I did. They said that they hadn't heard of any problems with it. But I am wondering if this will fit on ANY bus now. I am going to contact them again. I would really like to have it fit.

Collie wrote:
Could you fab some sort of 'spacer' to raise it a pinch?

I thought about that too, but even if that were possible, with the top of the steering column being tapered, the steering wheel would be extremely wobbly

SGKent wrote:
try it on another bus and see if it won't fit there too. If so you return it. If it does fit then compare where yours is different.

Yes, I'd love to! But I only have one bus. So I thought I would try Samba to see if anyone else out there has this clock. So far, I have seen no other bus with one that fits.

Jockomo wrote:
If you really want that thing to work the way it is intended you will need a flux capacitor. I think they are NLA

clever.

ok, so further update: I tried installing it with the steering wheel nut screw in just enough so that it was flush with the top of the steering column (steering wheel extremely wobbly). Even then it did not fully fit unless I unplugged the ground in the steering wheel for the horn. I don't think there is any way for this thing to fit.
Does anybody have one??? (in a BUS)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone else in Minneapolis, MN with a bus who can compare?
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Is there anyone else in Minneapolis, MN with a bus who can compare?

Yes, we have a bus group here. We are meeting in a few weeks. But I thought I would throw my net across the world here on Samba to see if ANYONE else bought and installed this horn button clock. I don't think any of our MN buses have it.

(Also, old horn buttons can have a tendency to disintegrate when you try to pop them off. I don't want to be responsible for someone cracking their horn button.)

I just sent a follow up email to BD. I'll see what they say. They originally wrote: "We have never heard of one that didn't fit." So i assume there are more out there somewhere.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your thread count seems to be awful high. are you sure your column is correctly assembled? i looked a 4 of the 5 busses i have here, and they all barely have any threads showing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
your thread count seems to be awful high. are you sure your column is correctly assembled? i looked a 4 of the 5 busses i have here, and they all barely have any threads showing

Thanks for looking! What are the years of the buses you looked at? '77??

Yes, I am assuming that the column is assembled correctly. I am fairly familiar with it by now. But it would be great if I missed something.

The sheer, cone top, anti-theft bolt was unmolested when I bought the bus so , I am assuming the column is original to the bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine isn't that high either although I have a washer under it. Still I don't believe it is that high.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
Thanks for looking! What are the years of the buses you looked at? '77??

Yes, I am assuming that the column is assembled correctly. I am fairly familiar with it by now. But it would be great if I missed something.

2 78's a 70 and a 71. all of which barely had a thread-thread and a half showing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history

Last edited by skills@eurocarsplus on Sat May 05, 2012 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
merlinj79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 77 is not that high IIRC.
CA Smog Stuff
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 78's a 70 and a 71. all of which barely had a thread-thread and a half showing

merlinj79 wrote:
My 77 is not that high IIRC.

Good news! So now I gotta figure out why mine is so high.

Does anyone know of an exploded view of a (specifically '77) steering column. I have seen many exploded views of other years' steering columns, but there are slight differences between the years.

thanks guys!
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link (WITH LOTS OF PICS) to a short (one page) thread about my steering column a few years back, aptly titled "Am I missing something??". I never got an answer from this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423728&highlight=steering

HELP!

(and thanks)
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I tried to take a photo of the back of the Horn Button Clock to show the depth of the clock and how it protrudes into the space. This is what is hitting against the steering column and ground wire connection when i try to just install it. (then to honk the horn, it would have to somehow depress even further.)

BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So I tried a bunch of different things tonight to try to get this clock to fit.

I pulled the steering wheel nut way out until it was about level with the top of the column, and then raised the switch casing to the appropriate relative level. With that, there is enough clearance for the horn button clock to work properly, but the steering wheel is not completely seated on the steering column and is wobbly.

Is it POSSIBLE that I have the wrong steering wheel??I've searched and read that 68-75 steering wheels have a 19mm opening and 76-79 have a 17mm opening. Is it POSSIBLE that i have a early bay steering wheel that works ONLY when it is bottomed out on the steering column? Will an early bay steering wheel even work on a later bay in this way?

thanks guys!
turtleneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your original pic of the clock looks like its an older steering wheel. Maybe it's not designed for a later bus?

Sent from my iPhone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: